Steam/PC Mega Thread 2023

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

Ah, devil ether. It makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor function. Blurred vision, no balance, numb tongue. The mind recoils in horror, unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interesting because you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can’t control it.

• Haha 1

Killer Frequency is a first-person horror adventure that puts you in the shoes of Forrest Nash, a late-night radio host whose callers are being stalked by a mysterious killer. Solve puzzles, save lives and run the switchboards, all while listening to a jukebox of retro '80s tunes!

Well this sounds really fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Metro: Last Light Complete Edition is free til the 25th
https://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/Metro_Last_Light_Complete_Edition/

EDIT

Just a heads up this is the original version, not the revised version, simply put the PS3/360 version not the PS4/XB1 and later version.

Edited by TheWho87
  • Like 2

very rare secularist L that.

I've seen a few people say that they're finding it surprisingly good. To be honest, it was never on my radar because there are so many Warhammer games that my eyes glaze over when looking at them, but this one could be something I'd be keen on.

• Like 1

I like Gladius, it's instantly familiar to anyone who's ever played a 4x but has the advantage of not having a wonky diplomacy system that knocks everything out (there is only war after all) so plays quite well and for a restricted setting they've worked the tech tree quite well. It helps that it's put out by Slitherine who are usually pretty reliable when it comes to strategy games. This and Battlesector are really good. Battlesector focuses more on the battles and plays like a sci fi version of their brilliant Field of Glory II and FoG II Medieval.

While there's discussion on ancient battles games... Field of Glory 2 is free on Steam. There are campaigns (and free form branching ones alongside) but it's purely focussed on the battles. It's a good old fashioned tabletop wargame but without needing hundreds of dice to work out combat.

• Like 1

Finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice yesterday. Really enjoyed it from start to finish, it wasn't a particularly long game clocking around 10 hours in it from start to finish, but I definitely am very glad I played it all the same.

In terms of gameplay the game wasn't anything special, middle of the road souls-ish game where the combat is about parrying and hitting your enemy a lot. There were puzzles which were fun, but also not things that would break your brain like o.g. Myst or any of that.

Where it really shone was the storytelling though, and despite there being only one actual character in the game (Senua herself), it provided a deep and engrossing experience about a young woman stricken by grief, and furthermore having to deal with a form of schizophrenia. The world is phenomenally built, the 'trials' you go through are also amazingly sculpted to provide different visceral reactions.

Just a great game, and one of those titles that you should be approached as an experience rather than a game. Take your time and just let it all come over you.

I honestly am intrigued in the upcoming sequel, and how it'll approach things going forward.

• Like 2