Steam/PC Mega Thread 2023

Mick

I forgot it was this close so I'm only on Part 3 of the first one, plan to do 2 before buying. Has anyone bought the Switch version? I'm really tempted to be able to play hand held but didn't know how well the controls would transfer.

32 minutes ago, Tall Boi Byrne said:

Can someone explain the thing with Monkey Island to me...is this considered to be the 3rd game, even though there have been several others? Are there only some that are considered 'canon' or something along those lines?

It's mostly regarded as such because Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman were the writers on Return as they were on Secret and LeChuck's revenge.

Curse and Escape were made by different teams, and whilst I don't know enough of things to more deeply explain the lore details, the purists just feel that anything after 2 is the 'Dragonball GT' of the series.

As in, the same franchise but diverging from the original authors' vision.

Imo, 3/4 are good games in their own right, but I can definitely see that people felt those games were lacking compared to what came before, and that return is something of a return to form.

1 hour ago, Tall Boi Byrne said:

Can someone explain the thing with Monkey Island to me...is this considered to be the 3rd game, even though there have been several others? Are there only some that are considered 'canon' or something along those lines?

The game picks up after Monkey Island 2, but it doesn't ignore the non-Gilbert games, it includes all the canon. It just decides to pick up on an unanswered question which was “What actually was the Secret of Monkey Island?” Despite being the title of the first game, it was never actually revealed.

I haven't played it yet, as I'm going to play it alongside my partner and she hasn't finished Monkey Island 2 yet, but my understanding is that it's a direct sequel to 2, and close to the story Ron Gilbert would have told had he been able to make Monkey Island 3, but he's basically cherry-picked the bits of the post-Gilbert games that he likes (Murray The Demonic Talking Skull, for example) while handwaving away anything that might not support his story.

That's why I'm waiting until my girlfriend finishes MI2, but I'm not too fussed about playing the others - I love Curse Of Monkey Island, but anything that might be referenced from that game in Return will probably be easy enough to explain, and I doubt anything from Escape From Monkey Island or the Telltale Games ones (which I haven't actually played) will be brought up, while I'm not going to even attempt to explain the ending of Monkey Island 2, nor should I.

• Like 2

Am on Part IV of Return, am enjoying it a lot. The art style is gorgeous, I can see why the screenshots and trailer attracted controversy but once you have it in full screen it looks amazing. The humour is as good as the first two games and have had plenty of laugh out loud moments.

20 hours ago, Skummy said:

I doubt anything from Escape From Monkey Island or the Telltale Games ones (which I haven't actually played) will be brought up, while I'm not going to even attempt to explain the ending of Monkey Island 2, nor should I.

Both games are acknowledged and mentioned! Quite nice of them of Gilbert and Co. to do that considering.

• Like 2

Spoiler

I wrapped up the game this weekend due to moving to a new apartment and having no internet or TV to watch. I loved it all, the anticlimactic ending, the story, the nostalgia, and the overall message of Monkey Island. It's not really about the destination, it's about the journey.

Edited by fourstarfizzle
  • Like 1

Bought my SteamDeck about an hour ago, after reserving my spot last Monday. Kind of excited, not gonna lie. But I also still prefer my PS5 (and Xbox, to a degree). Maybe I'll change my mind, but it'll be cool to have PC quality (more or less) games on the go, especially at work.

Only bought the 64GB version, since I don't anticipate buying major AAA titles on this or anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Owen said:

Townscaper is fun. On sale at the moment which is handy, it’s just a chill lil game where you can make… well, townscapes. Very simple but satisfying.

Also free on Xbox PC Gamepass!

• Thanks 1

I got my SteamDeck yesterday.

So this is what people mean when they talk about Steam's sales and how they just buy up an insane amount of games that creates a huge back log. Huh.

I'm fuuuucked.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tristy said:

I got my SteamDeck yesterday.

So this is what people mean when they talk about Steam's sales and how they just buy up an insane amount of games that creates a huge back log. Huh.

I'm fuuuucked.

Wow. Are they shipping that quick? You bought on Monday and got on a Friday. 

2 hours ago, RPS said:

Wow. Are they shipping that quick? You bought on Monday and got on a Friday. 

At the moment, you don't have to reserve them as they've got enough in stock. Valve has said that the reservation system could come back if shortages occur again, but for now, they're easy enough to obtain straight from the official source.