Steam/PC Mega Thread 2023

Mick

https://www.pcgamer.com/after-spending-20-years-simulating-reality-the-dwarf-fortress-devs-have-to-get-used-to-a-new-one-being-millionaires/

After being developed for free for two decades, the paid version of Dwarf Fortress has sold 160k units in the first 24 hours and hit 300K in only a week of being on Steam.

That's on top of the fact that the same game is still available for free on their website, with the only difference that the steam version has a 'modern' UI to streamline things, it's exactly the same game.

As someone who has played DF on and off for the past 8 or so years, this is just an amazing result for Zach and Tarn to hit paydirt with an amazing passion project of a game, that will continue to be developed going forward.

If anybody hasn't played Dwarf Fortress, you should genuinely check it out. It inspired games like Prison Architect, Rimworld, and Oxygen not Included to a significant degree, and is one of the grandfathers of roguelike and citybuilding that doesn't really have an equal in terms of scope, depth, and just randomness, on top of difficulty.

• Like 3

Picked up Three Kingdoms Total War (the bundle!) tonight, hoping it installs before bedtime haha. I also got an Exit game on PC for my wife and I to play. I think I am going to get the Broken Sword bundle for her and I to play too. I've played 1 a long time ago on the GBA and it was really fun, so 5 games for like 7 bucks is solid!

2 hours ago, Santa Claws said:

Picked up Three Kingdoms Total War (the bundle!) tonight, hoping it installs before bedtime haha. I also got an Exit game on PC for my wife and I to play. I think I am going to get the Broken Sword bundle for her and I to play too. I've played 1 a long time ago on the GBA and it was really fun, so 5 games for like 7 bucks is solid!

Three Kingdoms is really good even though it is a bit different to other Total Wars. You have 3 generals per army who each have 6 units under them. It features the best diplomacy system of any Total War game. The dueling is a cool feature, too. The only downside is that Creative Assembly decided to cease any work on the game in order to work on a new Three Kingdoms game, which I guess is coming in the next couple of years.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

Got to get 40k Total War figured out first.

CA have a couple games in development besides the 3K sequel - a multiplayer shooter named Hyenas and an unnamed game set in a fantasy setting. I feel like if we were getting 40K it would've been announced already. I think with the plethora of 40K games already out there that maybe Games Workshop thinks there wouldn't be enough demand for a 40K game but I think there would be.

21 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm still surprised we haven't seen Game of Thrones: Total War. That seems like such an ideal partnership.

I would be so stoked if the unnamed fantasy title was a Game of Thrones setting. I doubt it will be but a guy can dream.

6 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

Three Kingdoms is really good even though it is a bit different to other Total Wars. You have 3 generals per army who each have 6 units under them. It features the best diplomacy system of any Total War game. The dueling is a cool feature, too. The only downside is that Creative Assembly decided to cease any work on the game in order to work on a new Three Kingdoms game, which I guess is coming in the next couple of years.

Yeah the whole sequel thing gave me pause but 45 bucks for the entire bundle seemed pretty good and it was cheaper than the WH2 bundle. I have been a big 3K fan for years and have played many of the KOEI strategy and action titles. I was wavering between 3KTW and Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14, but this was a better deal, something different, and I still have RotK 11 I can boot up if I need that particular fix for now. Haven't played a newer TW since Rome 2, so excited for that.

Got into my first few battles last night as Liu Bei and Co. and that was a lot of fun - the duel system seems promising - will be a little more nerve racking once I start facing some more powerful foes and the duels won't be guaranteed wins and I'll have to start deciding if I want to go through with a duel or not. 

• Like 1

I'd say you can pick up and get into Total War games relatively easily, though I have played every one since the original Shogun (except Troy, but the Red Cross have just given me a steam key so that'll soon change) so I've grown up with them. The base tutorials are pretty good though and you'll pick things up soon enough I should think. As above, they're not *too* complex, my favourites are the Warhammer ones because I've waited for these games since White Dwarf showed work in progress of Warhammer Online (which was nothing like what the MMO would become) and they're great fun. Some factions are a bit fiddlier to work with but if there's a period of history you're interested in I'd say you'll get a lot out of them, fantastic series of games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

They're nowhere near as difficult to learn as Paradox grand strategy games. The in-game tutorials are quite good too, so I wouldn't worry about getting to grips with the basics.

Well this makes me feel much better because Ive pretty much played only Paradox when it comes to strategy.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2022 at 16:36, Mick said:

Hey guys, want all the Sims 4 bullshit?!

image.png

you think that's bad, look at Train Simulator. all the DLC is the price of a used car.

• Haha 1