FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

1 minute ago, Colly said:

Jenas gets worse. "He's not expecting that". He's made a back post run and made a hash of it.

Almost as good as the minute before when he said the referee was "stifling creativity" because he was sorting out physicality in the box before Belgium took a quick free kick.

Anyway, that game was pretty dire and I'm glad Morocco won the group.

Roberto Martinez needs to go I think, Belgium need a fresh start. They've been very poor this fortnight.

Regarding Wales I was really torn between them or the US as the 2nd place team in the group. I felt Wales had all the talent to get 4-5 points in the group, with results very similar to what the US had. They do deserve criticism for what was a bad tournament minus one good half against the US where they were somewhat gifted a goal by Zimmerman making a terrible challenge on Bale. 

There's no sugarcoating their performance. 

HOWEVER, not as disappointing as Belgium were. Pathetic.

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

Roberto Martinez needs to go I think, Belgium need a fresh start. They've been very poor this fortnight.

I do wonder how Belgium might have performed over the last ten years with better management. Marc Wilmots was never well regarded as a manager in Belgium, and I don't think anyone would consider Martinez to be anything special either. He did a good job for a while at Wigan, but I don't think Everton fans would ever think of him as a potential winner of major tournaments.

I think 2018 has been the only competition in which Belgium have met expectations in that period. Quarter-final exits in 2014, 2016 and 2020 put them in a similar bracket to that of England's "golden generation".

• Like 1