FIFA Women's World Cup 2023

Lineker

Canada staring down the face of the exit door. They've been absolutely awful defensively.

Can we talk about VAR yet again though? One goal given when it looked obviously offside, another ruled out when really it was fine. A very marginal offside that nobody questioned at all, several minutes before it's overturned. What it does is spoil the spectacle of football - when Australia then scored a legitimate goal minutes later, the crowd barely reacted...until Canada kicked off again, because only then did they know it definitely counted.

A key part of the game of football has been totally spoiled by VAR in my opinion.

Edit: Only made even worse when the tech finally shows us later that it was offside because the attacker's heel was an inch or two ahead of a defender's shoulder/arm several feet away. What?

So not only have the USWNT been pretty underwhelming but they'll now be missing Rose Lavelle if they advance (and frankly that's a real "if," Portugal look like they have it in them to win) due to a very soft yellow card. Yeeeeesh.

Even if they go through, which they probably will (as they should), I'll admit this group stage was far from impressive. Wasn't expecting it at all. They may indeed have problems if they face decent teams in the Knockout stages and considering it seems they may end up second in the group stage, that would mean facing Sweden, and that will be tough. Too tough maybe?

• Like 1

if you wanted to see every possible way Alex Morgan can look frustrated after not scoring a goal this has certainly been the World Cup for you

EDIT: I absolutely cannot believe I stayed awake for that match. Dire.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Adam said:

A post-width away from going out in the group. USA very, very fortunate there and will have to be a lot better against Sweden.

Yeah, I mean, it would have been unfair because they definitely weren't one of the worst teams in the group, but the fact that it was that close should be seen as a wake-up call of sorts.