FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

1 minute ago, Chris2K said:

This just leaves me wondering whether this was why Gio Reyna wasn't getting much game time, or if it was being done because Gio Reyna wasn't getting much game time. Either way it's utterly bizarre.

I imagine they feed into each other.

I think it started with something Gio did in training, Berhalter gave him less playing time as a result, his parents went ballistic, and then Berhalter basically blamed Gio without naming him for why he didn't play as much.

It's evident Berhalter can't continue as manager but who the hell is going to trust Gio Reyna and not worry that the most mild slight will see his parents go to the papers?

Yeah, we didn't end up talking here about the revelation that the reason why Gio Reyna didn't play much was basically that he was putting no effort into training and had a bad attitude about it until he was confronted about that by both Berhalter and other players (allegedly it got so bad that they were genuinely considering sending him home) and then he apparently turned it around. Of course, the reason why that revelation came out was because Berhalter was foolish enough to more or less talk about it (he didn't mention Reyna by name but people connected the dots quick) in what he apparently thought was an off-the-record capacity but clearly wasn't.

There's a lot of good things I could link in here, but this is one for me that stands out

It's very obvious that this is purely a situation of the Reynas being pissed Gregg, a decades long best friend, didn't 1) play/start their son, despite Reyna being so awful in training and the locker room he almost got sent home, and 2) Gregg (very naively and foolishly) thinking an off the record comment about an unidentified player that was obviously Gio Reyna wouldn't get reported on.