FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

Yeah I’d maybe give it to the Moroccan lad, but you can see why Emi got golden glove. Winning two shootouts, plus the last minute saves against Aus and again tonight. Both huge moments. 

Croatian boy probably falls out of the running when he gives the penalty away.

Martinez wins the Golden Gloves because he was there for the final, simply.

That whole ceremony was awful. Infantino all over it, the Emir, that horrendous shawl. Fitting that Qatar will always be tied in imagery now to this triumph, because this World Cup has tainted the so-called beautiful game.

Anyway, I'm happy for Messi and that game was some watch. I turned it on as Mbappe equalised, great timing.

31 minutes ago, Colly said:

He's binned it.

Did I see Aguero in John Terry style full kit or was it someone else? He's on the staff.

I think he was just wearing a shirt (an Otamendi shirt at that). Always will look weird when non-players do that thanks to John Terry, but I believe he was just dressed like a fan would dress.

I know he's a proper thick cunt, but Rio Ferdinand asking if Sergio Aguero was in the Argentina squad, a year after he retired from football, is going to live rent-free in my head for years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Colly said:

It was jarring to say the least. A whole month of almost convincing us he was a reasonable pundit ended in an instant.

Are we using Karen Carney and Dion Dublin as the measuring stick here or something?

• Lineker unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

So someone was trying to blackmail Gregg Berhalter during the World Cup, threatening to release information that when Gregg was 18 years old, he kicked his then girlfriend, now wife, at a bar. This is going to continue to be drama filled, especially since USMNT Twitter has way too many people guaranteeing that Gio Reyna's mother was the blackmailer, because she was the roommate of Gregg's wife when this happened. A lot of irresponsible behavior, past and present, taking place.

I don't generally use age alone to handwave bad behavior but if it's true that this terrible decision was made at 18, and more importantly, he's long-since rectified it with the person impacted (his wife), it just feels incredibly scummy that someone is trying to blackmail him over it.

Obviously, should other abusive behavior turn up in this investigation then that's another story.

Separate from all of that, there are valid, job-related reasons why he's not the best person for the job but now that's all taking a backseat over what might end up being unnecessary drama.