FIFA Women's World Cup 2023

Lineker

Missed the second half and extra time and just caught the pens, but having gone back what a horrible little shit Lauren James is. At least Beckham's was petulant retaliation, that's violent conduct for the sake of it.

Is that only a 2 match ban? Can't be playing her in the final if they make it.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Colly said:

Missed the second half and extra time and just caught the pens, but having gone back what a horrible little shit Lauren James is. At least Beckham's was petulant retaliation, that's violent conduct for the sake of it.

One game ban but a panel has the discretion to be able to extend it.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

That's a bit strong, isn't it? The stamp, if we can call it that, was petulant and naive, and certainly deserved a red card, but I'm not sure James needs to be insulted like that.

She has been our best attacking player in the tournament. It's something she will learn from, as Beckham and Rooney had to before her. England were fortunate in some ways to win but they dug in during Extra Time and made the penalties count.

If I were Sarina Wiegman I'd be tempted to go back to the original 4-3-3 formation now Walsh is back. The attack never got going today. Our best players were Carter and Greenwood.

Full credit to Nigeria who were excellent, the better side and should have won really.

16 minutes ago, Adam said:

That's a bit strong, isn't it? The stamp, if we can call it that, was petulant and naive, and certainly deserved a red card, but I'm not sure James needs to be insulted like that.

She has been our best attacking player in the tournament. It's something she will learn from, as Beckham and Rooney had to before her.

Honestly don't think it is. There's literally no excuse for it, she got tackled, basically fell on the defender, then clearly did exactly what she planned to do. There's no argument of a tangle of legs, a quick rush of blood, or anything like that, it's just a horrible thing to do to a fellow pro. I can't see how you can naively walk on someone. 

I don't even think the Beckham and Rooney comparisons are fair, Beckham's was the definition of petulant retaliation, a pathetic little kickout from the floor, and Rooney's is still arguably accidental. I'm sure she will learn from it, but I'd expect my 7 year to not have to learn that lesson.

If England don't win the tournament it will be attributed (fairly or unfairly) to that red card. One assumes it's a 3 match ban and her World Cup is over. It's one of those things that just crosses the line from a "professional" red card where in a tangle you do something regrettable to a premeditated stomp. Deserves the criticism coming her way.

15 minutes ago, Colly said:

Honestly don't think it is. There's literally no excuse for it, she got tackled, basically fell on the defender, then clearly did exactly what she planned to do. There's no argument of a tangle of legs, a quick rush of blood, or anything like that, it's just a horrible thing to do to a fellow pro. I can't see how you can naively walk on someone. 

I don't even think the Beckham and Rooney comparisons are fair, Beckham's was the definition of petulant retaliation, a pathetic little kickout from the floor, and Rooney's is still arguably accidental. I'm sure she will learn from it, but I'd expect my 7 year to not have to learn that lesson.

No, I'm not excusing what she did nor suggesting it was an accident. I'm saying it doesn't merit you calling her a "horrible little shit", which is just insulting and belittling.

She let her frustration get the better of her, we've seen it a million times across all sports at this level. You've admitted you didn't watch the second half, James didn't just decide randomly to be a menace. She was getting wound up by her and her team's failure to deal with Nigeria. No justification for trodding on Alozie at all, and she deserved to be sent off - her tournament is most likely over.

Anyway, Australia comfortably through to the last eight. Always good to see hosts sticking in til the later stages of the tournament.

31 minutes ago, Lineker said:

France are good.

Their odds to win the tournament moved up to like +1400 after the draw with Jamaica and damn do I regret not putting some money on that.

Australia, presumably with Kerr starting, won't be easy. But if they can get through both them and England/Colombia I'm hard-pressed to see a team on the other half of the bracket having the resilience to match up to them.

Lineth Beerensteyn of the Netherlands pulls no punches when giving her thoughts on the USA exit ey.

"The first moment when I heard that they were out, I was just thinking, 'Yes! Bye!'" said Beerynsteyn.

"From the start of this tournament they already had a really big mouth," the Juventus attacker added, before the Netherlands' quarter-final against Spain in Wellington.

Spain keep looking strong. They've been really strong in every game so far, except for their heavy loss to Japan where they basically weren't able to get any goals despite having a ridiculous amount of possession and were killed by Japan's quick counterattacks.

Spain vs Sweden is going to be an interesting one. Sweden didn't look great to me at any point in the tournament, good but not great. However they're VERY efficient and they have very good defenders and goalkeeper. If they manage to stop Spain's strong possession game and manage to score first, I think they have it in the bag.