FIFA Women's World Cup 2023

Lineker

1 minute ago, Twist said:

Paralleulo got lucky there and suspect if it wasn't the World Cup final she'd have got a second yellow there.

She should have been sent off, the referee has bottled it.

Not saying it would have meant a different outcome but it's disappointing to see the officiating become the talking point in this second half.

• Like 1

Given the significance of the occasion have been weirdly static. Whenever a player gets the ball on the wing they are forced to dribble into oblivion because their teammates just don’t get in a position to offer a passing option and instead opt to stand around gormlessly. 

Just now, Lineker said:

The worst possible cupset.

You've just made it even worse.

To be honest, Spain are worthy winners. A hell of a story considering the background issues they've had in the last year as well.

It doesn't feel it now, but England did brilliantly to get to the final. With no captain and no top scorer coming into the tournament, I honestly didn't think they'd get past the Quarters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That was a really poor quality game, but England definitely deserved to lose. Chucking the big centre back up top for the last 15 minutes is such a stupid thing to do, I don't think it ever actually works and just encourages the defenders to hoof it long - and our defenders love doing that at the best of times.

Really for all the disappointment English fans must feel and the enjoyment others may be getting at their defeat, in the last 4 major tournaments they've made 3 finals and won 1. Feel like they're perhaps the top nation in the world when you look at the recent run of both the men's and women's teams.

Goalscorer Olga Carmona's father passed away yesterday, with her only finding out after the final.

6 hours ago, damhausen said:

Really for all the disappointment English fans must feel and the enjoyment others may be getting at their defeat, in the last 4 major tournaments they've made 3 finals and won 1. Feel like they're perhaps the top nation in the world when you look at the recent run of both the men's and women's teams.

People will probably look back at this period as a golden age for English football. For all the noise England fans tend to make, the World Cup victory in 1966 was something of an anomaly. Three major finals in three calendar years is unprecedented.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

People will probably look back at this period as a golden age for English football. For all the noise England fans tend to make, the World Cup victory in 1966 was something of an anomaly. Three major finals in three calendar years is unprecedented.

I think you can even go back to 2017. That's 6 semi-finals out of 7 tournaments and the one you missed was just a game away. It definitely shows consistency at the top. 

• Like 1

I don't know where to post this and if this has been in the news worldwide, but the Spanish Football Federation president, Luis Rubiales, has been in the news since the final because he forcibly kissed Jennifer Hermoso "in celebration".

After huge backlash for his actions and worse, because he apparently begged Jennifer Hermoso to say there was nothing wrong with that, and since she refused to do so, obviously, the federation faked a Jennifer Hermoso public statement online saying there was nothing wrong with what he did. She said that wasn't true and she had nothing to do with that statement. Obviously, this is all terrible, and lots of people are outraged by all of this, and even some spanish clubs (Real Sociedad, Getafe, Osasuna and Atletico Madrid... possibly others I may have missed) said he should resign. After all of this, according to last night's news, he was going to announce he would resign today.

So, today's public announcement came and... I believe... to everyone's surprise, he just said he won't resign and attacked fake feminists who want to take him down.

Obviously since then, further backlash. Apparently plenty of spanish personalities, mostly those related to football at this point, have already commented on this. De Gea after hearing this posted a tweet: "My ears are bleeding". I suppose many have done so already. I'm just mentioning his, because it was shown on TV.

Most importantly, the spanish government has spoken and the left parties lead by Yolanda Diaz have said they're taking this to court.