MLB 2022

The Buscher

I really like the Bassitt signing.

I really hate that Ross Stripling just signed a 2 year deal for $25 million with San Francisco. Atkins couldn't have plated the same or better for Strips? Bassitt was a lot of money, but a rotation of Manoah, Gausman, Berrios, Bassitt and Stripling would have been well worth another $12.5 per season.

Carlos Correa to the Giants, breaking the shortstop contract record yet again.  13 years, $350 million.

In the past day or so word got out about Correa wanting to play in a big market and being willing to move to 3B only if he could play with Lindor, and about two hours ago Rosenthal and a bunch of other national writers were saying there was legitimate interest from the Mets in finding a way to make it happen.  I suspect Boras got all of this out there to force the few teams left in the shortstop market to hammer the panic button.

• Sad 1

If the Mets don’t win a championship, there will be 29 other fanbases ready to laugh at them, even though the $800 million in contracts Cohen has handed out this offseason is less than 5% of his reported net worth.  He’ll make that kind of money back before the end of next season.

Cannot even fathom what new level of penalties the other owners are going try to add to the next CBT.

I'd be willing to bet that the "issues" on the medical came down to just cold feet.

Which, if true, could potentially be an issue, if you consider that this is the second big signing this off-season that fell through for the Giants. 

Reportedly Correa (and Boras) had a disagreement with the Giants over the medical findings but that is very vague.  I suspect there's no immediate medical concerns with him but the Giants might've felt that something was there that could potentially pop off as he hits hits mid to late 30s, and 13 years is a long time of course.  Boras notoriously doesn't renegotiate on medicals so once the Giants decided to pull out that was that.

The Mets meanwhile are very much trying to win now, and Cohen doesn't care about that far in the future.  Barring something unforeseen he's going to have more money than god for the rest of his life and he's not afraid of cutting a check to eat a loss if Correa eventually declines.

In 2022 the Mets 3B cumulatively hit:

.234/.289/.419 for a wRC+ of 102. They hit 22 homers, and struck out 3 times as many times as they walked

In 2022 Carlos Correa hit:

.291/.366/.467 for a wRC+ of 140. He hit 22 homers and struck out only 2x as many times as he walked.

My concern for this offseason was that for as much as they'd done, the lineup wasn't improved from where they ended last year.  And now they've changed that in a big way.