MLB 2022

The Buscher

1 hour ago, Jacob deBusch said:

Apparently the Padres offered $342 million to Turner which would've set a new shortstop record after Lindor's $341 million and Tatis' $340 million.

So Turned took $42 million less to go to the Phillies, both because he preferred the east coast and because he would've eventually had to change positions once Tatis returned.

Unless if the Padres plan on trading Tatis.  Probably for 50 cents on the dollar.

33 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Supposedly we just landed Bellinger but the source for that is Jon Heyman :lol: 

The Jays have now lost out on Bellinger and Andrew Heaney, both of whom were supposed to have been locks for the team based on what some of these experts have said.

I'm not overly miffed though. $17.5 for Bellinger, and more than one year for Heaney with his injury issues scare me.

Interestingly, with both of those guys signing today and reporters walking back their comments on Judge signing with the Giants, it's now being reported by multiple people that the Jays have snuck their way into the final talks with Judge's camp.

Obviously, nothing gets done there, but the idea that they're willing to exceed the luxury tax threshold on the off-chance that they can convince him to come north is pretty big. Maybe Rogers has given them the go-ahead to spend what they need to if the piece or pieces are worthwhile.

27 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Interestingly, with both of those guys signing today and reporters walking back their comments on Judge signing with the Giants, it's now being reported by multiple people that the Jays have snuck their way into the final talks with Judge's camp.

Between Heaney to Texas, Bellinger to the Cubs, and the bolded part above, it may be time you follow new reporters. 

• Like 1

The only other person I’ve heard seriously reporting on Judge to the Giants is Susan Slusser, a Giants beat writer.  But she hasn’t reported it as a done deal, just that the conversation amongst executives and players at the meetings is that that’s where he’s headed.

Unless Judge just straight up wants to make the move I’d be surprised if the Yanks aren’t given the chance to match.

1 minute ago, Meacon Keaton said:

Between Heaney to Texas, Bellinger to the Cubs, and the bolded part above, it may be time you follow new reporters. 

It's just baseball, homie. My twitter feed is littered with the "top reporters". I don't think there's another sport where the big name reporters get as much wrong as in baseball.

It's also just a sad fact about being a Blue Jays fan. They're in on everyone, and become the front-runners for many who end up signing elsewhere, according to reports.

But the idea of touching base with Judge's camp isn't insane. Even the people talking about it are saying it's not going to happen (and I know it won't, and it really shouldn't anyways for the sake of the team), but between them initiating contact and the fact that they're still heavily interested in guys who would push them into luxury tax territory says to me that Rogers is willing to open the pocket-books.

If the Yankees are outbid for their homegrown MVP by the Blue Jays, Trump is the next Pope.

And my post was tongue-in-cheek, because Toronto very likely reached out to Heaney and Bellinger, but so did Baltimore, and the Dodgers, and every other team with some money to spend. But you said Heaney and Bellinger were "supposed to be locks" to Toronto, which is why I suggested a change, because I never heard Toronto mentioned as a serious contender for either.

Though, to be fair, I hadn't heard any team for Bellinger. A guy at work and I were just talking about that this afternoon; about how there'd been almost no mention of him since he was released.

I would’ve liked Bellinger as a Met if they weren’t able to retain Nimmo, who is apparently getting some major offers from as many as 10 teams.  If not keeping Nimmo, a 1-year deal with a high ceiling bounce back candidate made sense to me.

Mets might pivot to Kiermaier if they can’t keep Nimmo and good lord that would be a huge downgrade.  The Mets need another bat or two, Kiermaier doesn’t move the needle.

19 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

It's just baseball, homie. My twitter feed is littered with the "top reporters". I don't think there's another sport where the big name reporters get as much wrong as in baseball.

The sport in a nutshell. Pretty sure Meac once told me it's the only place where you can miss 70% of your opportunities and still be considered good.

9 years, $360 million was the deal the Giants were widely reported to have offered Judge a few days ago.  So pretty clear Judge gave the Yankees a final chance to match.

Shame I can't say the same about deGrom as it's come out that he specifically told his agent to not give them a chance to counter.  Pretty clear he's just a Republican from the sticks of Florida deep at heart and after the pandemic he just wanted to get out of that damn radical liberal New York.

25 minutes ago, Jacob deBusch said:

9 years, $360 million was the deal the Giants were widely reported to have offered Judge a few days ago.  So pretty clear Judge gave the Yankees a final chance to match.

Shame I can't say the same about deGrom as it's come out that he specifically told his agent to not give them a chance to counter.  Pretty clear he's just a Republican from the sticks of Florida deep at heart and after the pandemic he just wanted to get out of that damn radical liberal New York.

If he wanted to get out of radical liberal New York all he had to do was buy a house in Suffolk County. 

• Haha 2

The Mets are in a tough spot right now because even if they re-sign Nimmo, their offense is effectively right back to where it was last year...good but still a bat short especially in the power department.  You'd be banking on an Alvarez or Baty being ready to fully take the jump.

If they don't keep Nimmo, the remaining OF options on the board are pretty uninspiring and it'd be difficult to imagine they won't enter 2023 with an objectively worse lineup.  Given the Braves are still a powerhouse and the Phillies have been adding, they'd be looking like a 3rd place team.

If they don't land a big bat this winter somehow then they absolutely must prepare to blow the AAV record out of the water for Ohtani next year.