MLB 2022

The Buscher

1 hour ago, RoHitman Reigns said:

Quite possibly the only one happy seeing Philly up 2-1 in the NLCS. 

Nope!  Living where I do, its the only time I can consistently watch Phillies games.  Where I live is either Nats or Orioles broadcast territory

• Like 1

Screenshot-2022-10-23-at-01-01-19-ESPN-S

The infinite ERA!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jacob deBusch said:

Bob Melvin inexplicably refuses to use his best reliever against the heart of the Phillies order in the 8th and gets burned.

To be honest, Suarez probably was his best reliever. I think there's a criticism about wanting Suarez to go 2 full innings but picking him for the middle of the order over Hader I didn't think was a particularly bad move.

On 23/10/2022 at 16:43, damhausen said:

What kind of message does this possibly send? As bad it feels now this organization once endured worse?

So to follow up on this...while I don't generally listen to him, Michael Kay has been providing some great sound bites over the past week.  It started with him questioning Boone over wanting to re-insert Carpenter into the starting lineup against Verlander despite not facing big league pitching for months...Boone groaned and called Kay "unbelievable" and Carpenter proceeded to get a golden sombrero and started his ALCS 0-7 with 7 Ks.

Then after Game 3, Kay went on the YES Network postgame and ripped Boone for pulling Cole with the bases loaded, basically just asking how on earth can Lou Trivino and a compromised Yankee bullpen possibly be viewed as a better option to escape a jam than the guy they're paying $324 million for spots just like that.  Especially after he'd won them 2 games against Cleveland.

And yesterday he just went scorched earth about the 2004 ALCS stuff, saying he talked to multiple 2004 Yankees who were livid about it, and that if Steinbrenner were alive he'd 100% fire someone.

He also moaned about the Yankees being unable to get to the World Series since 2009 despite spending a billion dollars on analytics...guess he can't grasp that analytics are meant to help you get to the playoffs, everything beyond that is a crapshoot.  But anyway, not too long ago Kay never would publically rip the Yankees like this but at this point his platform's gotten large enough he's not really worried about front office backlash.

3 hours ago, Jacob deBusch said:

So to follow up on this...while I don't generally listen to him, Michael Kay has been providing some great sound bites over the past week.  It started with him questioning Boone over wanting to re-insert Carpenter into the starting lineup against Verlander despite not facing big league pitching for months...Boone groaned and called Kay "unbelievable" and Carpenter proceeded to get a golden sombrero and started his ALCS 0-7 with 7 Ks.

Then after Game 3, Kay went on the YES Network postgame and ripped Boone for pulling Cole with the bases loaded, basically just asking how on earth can Lou Trivino and a compromised Yankee bullpen possibly be viewed as a better option to escape a jam than the guy they're paying $324 million for spots just like that.  Especially after he'd won them 2 games against Cleveland.

And yesterday he just went scorched earth about the 2004 ALCS stuff, saying he talked to multiple 2004 Yankees who were livid about it, and that if Steinbrenner were alive he'd 100% fire someone.

He also moaned about the Yankees being unable to get to the World Series since 2009 despite spending a billion dollars on analytics...guess he can't grasp that analytics are meant to help you get to the playoffs, everything beyond that is a crapshoot.  But anyway, not too long ago Kay never would publically rip the Yankees like this but at this point his platform's gotten large enough he's not really worried about front office backlash.

Everyone in NY sports media that used to fear criticizing the Yankees has been in full open season mode on them it seems. People are (rightfully) fed up.

• Like 1

Phillies basically flipped their bullpen game from Game 4 to Game 3 in a potential act of brilliance by Rob Thomsen. Weather is expected to be very rough during the game and the looming threat of early rain creating a de facto bullpen game exists.

Love when a manager looks behind the analytics and gets super situational with things, that balance isn't something you always see these days.

• Like 2