MLB 2022

The Buscher

While I'm sure it's a daunting task, the Mets seem to have a more inconsistent offense relative to the other contenders.  They're 4th in the league in runs scored but as someone who has watched all year it's really felt like that number has been propped up by a dozen or so blowouts and they go through prolonged stretches where nobody can hit and they're in nailbiter games every night.  50 of 58 losses came when giving up 3 runs or less, so if the offense goes cold in October it won't take more than a bloop and a blast to win.  Not at all hard for me to imagine a pair of 2-1 losses and an early exit.

But really if the bats are cold they'll have trouble no matter what round it is.  My bigger concern with winning the division is that the compressed DS and CS schedules (travel days were removed) get a lot worse if you play the WC round first.  Scherzer and deGrom would both only be able to pitch once in the NLDS unless someone agrees to go short rest for a Game 5.  I'd think it would be Scherzer.  Cannot imagine deGrom agreeing to short rest ahead of free agency.

For what it's worth Buck managed teams always seem to go cold against playoff pitching. Ton of reliance on big hits vs small ball and manufacturing runs. Analytics tell you that works, and over a season that's true. But in a single game scenario you gotta scrape together every run you can.

He also once upon a time completely bungled his bullpen management. Doubt that happens again.

On 24/09/2022 at 12:47, Jacob deBusch said:

For me, the damning thing about him juicing wouldn’t even be that he was doing it, it would be that MLB blatantly turned a blind eye for it in the name of getting a better story/ratings.

Which would just be more of a sign that the writers are self-righteous assholes for keeping the PED guys out of the Hall.

Honestly, the whole PED era killed a lot of my love for the game. Baseball used to be my favorite sport, but now I rarely watch more than a dozen games a season, and only watch the World Series if I like the matchup or one (or both) of the teams involved.

I followed the whole McGwire/Sosa chase for Maris' record, and the testimony before Congress was like a dagger to my heart. Clemens turning out to be dirty was a major blow, as he was my favorite pitcher of that era (except when he played for the Yankees).

Bonds *had* to be on something. Just look at him physically when he was with the Pirates, and then when the whole controversy happened. His hat and shoe size even increased, and that is not normal. Fuck Bonds.

They want to put any of them in the Hall, fine.....if they open a Steroids/PED era wing, so its clear they were cheaters. And none of them get to be a headliner.

1 minute ago, Jacob deBusch said:

I hope somebody does a welfare check on the fan that dropped the ball.

It was hit really low so he had to reach but my guy needed a glove coated with stickum if he was going to be seated there.

Also interesting note, that ball would've been a HR in every park besides Camden Yards. How times have changed.

• Haha 1

deGrom hasn't looked very sharp his last few starts but that happens to every pitcher.  Last week he got actively shelled in Oakland but made no excuses about his performance.  Tonight in Atlanta he was just chucking fastballs right over the middle of the plate and gave up three home runs.  Says after the game he's been dealing with a blister and then retroactively claimed that the blister was bothering him in Oakland too.

Dunno.  After spending all year reiterating that he plans to opt out, it sounds like he's going into damage control mode now to cover up for the fact that maybe he's already getting gassed after a year out.  Also his body language has looked bad, and he's seemed pretty flustered talking with the NY media this year, which was never a problem for him in recent years.  Just getting the vibe that maybe his days in a Met uniform really are drawing to a close.

Sorry to keep harping on the Mets but this came to my mind tonight as I saw the Jays, Mariners, Rays, Padres, and Phillies all popping bottles over the last week.

The Mets were the only playoff team that didn’t get to celebrate because at the time they simply got a playoff spot, it was a formality and they were still in a tight divisional race at the time.  100 wins and basically they and their fans didn’t get that moment of euphoria you get when a team clinches.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Jacob deBusch said:

Sorry to keep harping on the Mets but this came to my mind tonight as I saw the Jays, Mariners, Rays, Padres, and Phillies all popping bottles over the last week.

The Mets were the only playoff team that didn’t get to celebrate because at the time they simply got a playoff spot, it was a formality and they were still in a tight divisional race at the time.  100 wins and basically they and their fans didn’t get that moment of euphoria you get when a team clinches.

The Jays clinched on an off-day. Their celebration was the day after, when they walloped the Red Sox 10-0.

What a weird managerial career he had as "La Russa's successor". Wasn't ever particularly good and got a ton of mileage off that 2013 World Series loss with a deeply talented roster. Getting nothing out of what was supposed to be a KC squad turning the corner on a rebuild was particularly bad.

I don't know how many more managerial openings there will be this year, could be a quiet offseason. Lot of teams firmly in rebuilds sucked, only one other team "turning the corner" besides KC disappointed and that was Detroit. Boston should've been a lot better but I don't know if they're parting with Cora since most of their problems were front office induced.

The Angels figured to possibly be a fun managerial destination as despite the terrible front office you do still get the chance to manage a couple of generational talents in Trout and Ohtani.  But that's off the table for now as the Angels removed the interim tag from Phil Nevin and gave him a 1-year deal for 2023 despite a 46-60 record.

In an era where teams are hesitant to trade for guys on their walk year, Ohtani will probably be the exception because of how special of a talent he is and his ability to transform both a lineup and a pitching staff.

But I suspect the Angels stubbornly hang on to him to sell tickets until at least the deadline.  If/when the 2023 season is another disaster for them, Nevin will be quietly let go and they'll have to find a new manager to properly rebuild in the post-Ohtani era. 

• Like 2