MLB 2022

The Buscher

If Hosmer kills the deal I'd have to assume they have a contingency to either drop Bell and make it 5-for-1 for Soto, or they've got another replacement player in mind.

Can't imagine letting a deal of this magnitude fall apart over Hosmer.  It would be complete incompetence on all levels.

Just now, damhausen said:

Was kinda hoping the hilarious LA swoops in and steals Soto scenario while Hosmer decides what to do scenario would've happened.

Would've made for a good laugh.

Well, until the deal is official, there's still room for someone else to sneak their way in. It's a good prospect package from the Padres, but if someone else is willing to bid higher and/or can get Hosmer to sign off, there's still the possibility that Washington sends him somewhere else.

I can't imagine how Josh Bell is going to feel though, if Hosmer nixing his inclusion means that Bell is also out. How do you keep playing for a team that tried and failed to move you?

Jays pick up relievers Zach Pop and Anthony Bass from the Marlins for prospect Jordan Groshans.

Groshans was highly touted, but he's fallen off hard. Losing Bass last time was a tough pill to swallow, so it's nice to see him back.

Still would like a starter and a left-handed bat before the deadline though.

Mets fill their right-handed DH platoon spot with Darin Ruf who murders lefties. This in and of itself is fine.

But they traded him for JD Davis (good riddance) AND three other prospects, one of whom was on track to be named Mets minor league pitcher of the year. How the fuck does a 36 year old Darin Ruf cost that much?

Eppler panicked.

And then to compound my misery, David Robertson who was by far my biggest target went to the Phillies.  For one singular prospect.  More evidence that the league doesn't think the Mets farm is worth anything after the top few names.  You either trade a top 5 guy or you have to tack on lots of extra bodies.

Shaping up to be a pretty lousy deadline for the Mets.

In a bit of a head scratcher, the Jays just got Whit Merrifield from Kansas City. He doesn't really fit any needs that should be getting addressed today... and Max Castillo was part of the package heading back. I have no problem moving Castillo, but maybe for something we need? Not another right hand bat who is an extra piece on the bench. He's versatile, but Merrifield typically plays second and the outfield. If he were a lefty, he'd be a great fit.

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

In a bit of a head scratcher, the Jays just got Whit Merrifield from Kansas City. He doesn't really fit any needs that should be getting addressed today... and Max Castillo was part of the package heading back. I have no problem moving Castillo, but maybe for something we need? Not another right hand bat who is an extra piece on the bench. He's versatile, but Merrifield typically plays second and the outfield. If he were a lefty, he'd be a great fit.

The best part of this is that Merrifield wasn't vaccinated when they came to Toronto. He said he'd do it for a contender. I wonder if got it after he made that comment as surely the Royals FO wasn't pleased with that - but they are also on a 9 game road trip and have time to get him vaxxed. 

I don't want to say the Mets didn't improve, because they did.  But it's not hard to see why the fanbase is upset.  This is literally the best record they've had through this point in the season since 1986.  It's the one year they have Scherzer and deGrom together before the latter can opt out, and you have deGrom, Diaz, Nimmo, Walker, and Bassitt among others hitting free agency.  They really might not have a better chance to win it all than this year.

And yet despite this, they made all of their top 5 prospects off limits including Mark Vientos who is striking out at a 50% rate in AAA, or Ronny Mauricio who has a .290 OBP in AA.  They were more aggressive last year with a team that was very clearly worse than this year's.

Again, Darin Ruf does what the Mets need.  A lefty masher to platoon at DH.  But when people thought it'd be Contreras to solve their black hole at catcher, tough not to be underwhelmed.  Moreover, both sides of that are an indictment on the farm.  The Mets had to include THREE of their top 30 prospects just to get a 36-year old Darin Ruf.  The Cubs meanwhile decided that just keeping Contreras and getting a comp pick from them next year was better than anything the Mets could offer outside of their top 5.

Mychal Givens is a nice bullpen add.  Wanted Robertson but Givens is a nice consolation prize.  But I wanted a second reliever to be added, specifically a lefty.  There's a very good chance that the Mets don't carry a single lefty on their postseason bullpen, because the one lefty reliever they have (Joely Rodriguez) sucks and Buck clearly doesn't trust him, often going a week or more at a time without using him.