MLB 2022

The Buscher

1 minute ago, damhausen said:

Texas has a very good farm system, but they're going the route of making all the big signings before their guys are ready. It feels like it creates a potentially shorter window.

Paying a fortune to be .500 and knee-cap the Mariners. As a bitter Jays fan I can get behind this.

• Like 1

The Mets' most recent offer to deGrom earlier this week was apparently 3 years, $120 million.  So $40 million AAV, when they are currently paying Scherzer $43.3 AAV.  Team sources have indicated that the Mets weren't given the opportunity to make a final offer, he simply took the Rangers deal and the Mets found out he was gone about an hour before the news leaked.

Fans don't like hearing stuff like that, but I doubt the counter would've meant much.  Had no other team been seriously in the bidding I'd guess the Mets probably end up at 3/135 to get him over Scherzer's AAV number but that's about it, they were never gonna touch that Rangers deal.  Add in the income tax situation and it's even more of a no-brainer.

Of course, some of the more annoying beat reporters are taking victory laps.  Particularly SNY's Andy Martino, who has been trying to warn the fanbase for about 16 months now that deGrom's public comments about wanting to stay didn't match the vibe that he was hearing in the building.  Basically was hinting all along that deGrom wanted to get out of New York and move down south.

9 hours ago, Jacob deBusch said:

The Mets' most recent offer to deGrom earlier this week was apparently 3 years, $120 million.  So $40 million AAV, when they are currently paying Scherzer $43.3 AAV.  Team sources have indicated that the Mets weren't given the opportunity to make a final offer, he simply took the Rangers deal and the Mets found out he was gone about an hour before the news leaked.

Fans don't like hearing stuff like that, but I doubt the counter would've meant much.  Had no other team been seriously in the bidding I'd guess the Mets probably end up at 3/135 to get him over Scherzer's AAV number but that's about it, they were never gonna touch that Rangers deal.  Add in the income tax situation and it's even more of a no-brainer.

Of course, some of the more annoying beat reporters are taking victory laps.  Particularly SNY's Andy Martino, who has been trying to warn the fanbase for about 16 months now that deGrom's public comments about wanting to stay didn't match the vibe that he was hearing in the building.  Basically was hinting all along that deGrom wanted to get out of New York and move down south.

I really think the Mets may have dodged a bullet. Pitchers in their mid-30s who start getting hurt usually don't magically stop getting hurt. It's also a small sample size but he was mortal at the end of the season.

I'd have still loved to sign deGrom to the O's for 3 years but that deal from the Rangers is laden with risk from Texas and I assume was offered with a likely "take it now or leave it" ultimatum.

There had been some whispers amongst the writers for a while that deGrom basically regretted his contract within a year of signing it.  After winning the 2018 Cy he locked himself into a 5/137.5M deal with an opt out after 3 ($27.5M AAV).  Of course he then won the 2019 Cy and saw the AAV just completely explode the following offseason.  Fast forward to spring 2021 and Cohen is making a well-publicized $40M AAV offer to Bauer (thank god that fell through), giving Lindor $341M and finally last winter giving Scherzer $43.3M AAV.

The implication is that he might've been bitter that the team never broached him about reworking his deal in a new extension.  But if true, that's kinda lame really.  What sense would it have made for the Mets to rip up a team-friendly deal like that?  If he wants to blame anyone for that situation he should blame himself and his agent.  Nobody put a gun to his head and forced him to re-sign when he was two years away from free agency.

When the list of this year's committee voters came out it became pretty clear that they weren't going in as Frank Thomas, Ryne Sandberg, Jack Morris, and Lee Smith were on it...all guys who have publicly said over the years that the roid guys shouldn't be in.  That's already the 4 votes you can afford to lose.

By acclimation I'd presume most of these guys will be on the ballot every time this committee meets.  Maybe sometime in the future the voters picked will be ones with lightened stances.  But that's a long time from now.  Like, probably not until they're in their 80s.

12 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

@Jacob deBusch I guess this is your replacement for Degrom?

Love it.  Yeah there’s obvious risk in having a rotation headed by a 40-year old Verlander and 38-year old Scherzer but they’re still pitching at ace levels and, more importantly, this doesn’t hamper the Mets with long-term financial commitments.  Even Steve Cohen is gonna need to have a year where they go below the CBT with the worsening penalties for going over.

• Like 1

Trea Turner to the Phillies.  11 years, $300 million with a full no-trade clause.

My word, 11 years for someone with Turner's skillset could age like milk before the end of it.  But the Phillies have a window with him and Bryce still in their prime, so kudos to them for going for it.

Whether it was Turner, Correa, Bogaerts, or Swanson...they were always landing one of the shortstops.

• Like 1

Dombrowski doesn't build teams for sustained success. He goes out and spends to win it now. Phillies will spend the late 2020s in rough shape but can't blame them for taking a shot during their window.

Also the Yankees have made a big move - 4 year contract extension for Brian Cashman.

12 minutes ago, Meacon Keaton said:

With Cashman re-signed, if Judge is not a Yankee next year, the Bronx will burn.

Missing out on a 8+ year contract to a guy who will be 31 next year would not be the worst thing over the long-term but needless to say there is no positive way to spin that to a fanbase hoping to win right now.

I understand the reservations on giving out long-term deals but so much can change in 7-9 years.  If you truly believe Judge has 5-6 really good impact years years left it’s very hard to not keep a guy like that.  Especially after the year he just had.  Look at the Yankees’ 2nd half offensive numbers outside of Judge.  They’re not pretty.

Yes you can’t saddle the future with too many albatross contracts, but having one or two on the books in the very distant future is a worthwhile trade off to keep a guy who is not only an MVP but also solidifying himself as a franchise legend.

Apparently the Padres offered $342 million to Turner which would've set a new shortstop record after Lindor's $341 million and Tatis' $340 million.

So Turned took $42 million less to go to the Phillies, both because he preferred the east coast and because he would've eventually had to change positions once Tatis returned.