MLB 2022

The Buscher

9 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Hell yeah!

I'm not sure what your rotation looks like going into next year, but if Taillon can stay healthy, you will be very happy. He was one of the most consistent pitchers I've seen over the last two season. He never pitched so bad that we were out of the game by the fifth inning, but he isn't likely going to have many games past the fifth inning, but how many pitchers do nowadays? Very good signing for you guys. I was kind of bummed that we didn't seem interested in bringing him back. 

He also seems like just a good dude too. 

• Like 1

Taillon is a nice add.  Slightly less than Taijuan Walker got ($72 million) but I think Taillon is better.

Mets replaced Walker with Jose Quintana for a far lesser cost, which I'm fine with.  But they still need to replace Chris Bassitt, either by re-adding him or getting Senga.  Speaking of which:

Good.  MOAR!

They really have no choice but to spend if they want to compete in this division anyway.  Every team will want to dip below the tax at some point because the draft and IFA penalties get progressively worse each consecutive year you go over.  But they're just not in a position to do that right now as the kids aren't ready.  And if you're paying two old aces the kind of money they're paying them over the next two years, you may as well push your chips to the center of the table.

11 years is a lot but again, if you reasonably think he can remain a high caliber player for most of the deal, the last few years are just the cost of doing business.  And if you win a ring with him at some point, that makes it completely worthwhile.  It's also important for the Padres to win now because they have some major contract decisions coming up.

Machado will be 31 next offseason but unless he gets hurt or falls off a cliff suddenly, there's no way he isn't opting out.  The 5 years, $150 million he has left on his deal looks like an absolute steal compared to what free agents are getting now.

4 hours ago, Lowerdeck said:

Oof

I wanted Boston to bring X back, but that 11 years part is steep.  If he left for 7 years, $210m - I'd be pissed.

Now watch as the Sox go find Jose Iglesias or the ghost of Elvis Andrus cause they're only worth $3m a year.  Marcelo Mayer better be a stud.

Rumor is the Red Sox might go after Dansby Swanson. They just added Kenley Jansen and Masataka Yoshida to their roster.

Also....

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-reportedly-used-three-baseballs-during-2022-season-and-yankees-may-have-benefitted-the-most-171038470.html

Edited by GhostMachine

I was just about to say I'd rather have Bogaerts, but I checked Swanson's stats and he had a really great 2022. It's also his best ever season as a pro, so I'd be very nervous that I'm buying high and that he won't reach his 2022 level again. 

1 hour ago, damhausen said:

That's... A lot of years for a guy is best regarded as decent.

CF is typically a pretty barren market in free agency, and he’s one of the best leadoff hitters in the game.  It’s a lot of years but his plate discipline isn’t something that should disappear.  The extra years also knock the AAV down a bit (he was projecting to get like $25M a year over 6) while also pretty much ensuring that he’ll be a Met for life, something that the Mets have rarely had in their history.

17 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

After nearly inking Aaron Judge, the Blue Jays have agreed to term with Kevin Kiermaier 

You all wait until Kiermaier breaks out with 45 homers, 150 games played and a gold glove... while Judge falls off the face of the earth, Senga and Heaney get lit up, and Carlos Rodon ends up with Tommy John surgery after someone gives him seven years of ridiculous money.

I'm also hearing Don Mattingly will come out of retirement to give his side burns one last run and be the left-handed bat the team really needs.

Seriously though, Jays fandom is losing their minds because of lack of movement, but I'm not looking at many of these deals and thinking anything other than "phew, that's a contract that is going to suck really bad at some point".

The team needs to be mindful of the in-house extensions that will be needed over the next three seasons. They can't be handing out the term and dollars that are flying around, for guys who will likely regress and cost them younger, better players when they can't meet the demands of the young core.

As frustrating as it is to watch the off-season unfold and see so many of the potential fits dropping off the free agents list, it's way more important to be aware that Moreno, Kirk, Vlad, Bo, Biggio, Gurriel and Manoah are going to either need to be traded or extended at some point soon. I'd rather be shopping in the discount bins at free agency, knowing that these guys have priority, than to be handing out some of these deals and wondering which albatross contract is going to cost us which core player come extension time.

• Haha 1