MLB 2022

The Buscher

Things have been going well for the Mets so far and it feels like part of the NY media were desperate for something to laugh at them about.  So nearly all of the papers put out articles about Kelenic making his grand "return" to NY this weekend after the awful Cano trade a few years ago.  It almost seems like they were hoping for him to clown them so they could laugh at the Mets.

Instead, he was optioned to Triple A before the game today after hitting .140 to start the season.

I'm generally indifferent to what the Yankees do, and growing up in a Yankee town I've gotten used to tuning out their fans.  But this year in particular it bothers me.

Nothing but bitching all offseason about the team not making any moves.  Hal is cheap, Cashman is past it, team looks mediocre, not even trying to win, fire everyone etc.  And half their fans were ready to throw themselves off the roof when they lost a series to the Orioles a week into the season.

Now they're 25-9, currently on a 20-3 run and their fans are all chest thumping.  I don't really care that the team is winning but man, that fanbase really doesn't deserve what they're getting.

• Like 2

They're honestly a terrible fanbase. A different sport but I've never meant a stupid Steelers fan despite all the chest thumping they love to do around here when they're finishing off another 9 won season. But Yankee fans come to Camden Yards all the time and are complete dopes about baseball.

So basically they're just like a lot of my fellow Red Sox fans when the team sucks?

I'm also a Cincinnati Reds fan, and am flabbergasted at how horrible they are this season. I expected them to be bad, but not quite this bad.

@Your Mom tomorrow's game of the week on MLB's YouTube channel is the Cubs game. Full game broadcast on the MLB YT channel!

• Like 1

Scherzer has been diagnosed with a moderate to high oblique strain.  Estimates are he will be out for 6-8 weeks.

This fucking sucks because when Mets fans were celebrating the signing, the only thing anyone trying to troll them would say is "37 year old pitcher joining the Mets, watch him get injured"

And, welp, here we are.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Serpenticloud said:

False! Drac zinged again on the cruise ship with the cruise captain. 

That's true! Which good news for Scherzer, back in 6-8 weeks!

Buster Olney has made multiple tweets this weekend criticizing the O's for giving Rutschman the #35 jersey feeling it should be retired for Mussina and then today followed up with a stat that Mussina is the only writer-elected HOFer to not have a jersey retired after spending his first 10 seasons with a team.

Weird thing to focus on when the focus should be on baseball's top prospect getting to the show.

Apparently the O's have drawn Olney's ire in the past few years which you occasionally see with national writers (Keith Law constantly shitting on the Mets comes to mind).

Olney used to be a beat writer here, he is very opinionated about the Orioles. Can't say I blame him with the way the organization is run.

Their explanation for not retiring Mussina's number was because he didn't go into the HOF with an Orioles logo on his cap. Apparently that's a "policy" which sounds like it was their way to prevent Eddie Murray from going in without a logo on his cap. It's all extremely dumb. Peter Angelos also begrudgingly congratulated him, inducted him into the team HOF, etc. Mussina signing with the Yankees broke him, but like hell was Mussina take a second straight team-friendly deal.

1 hour ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

I used to get really attached to retiring numbers but the older I've got, the more I'd rather it not be a thing. Recognize the player in your team's Hall of Fame or a level of excellence or whatever, but retiring numbers is a bit silly. 

I'm not averse to retiring numbers.  I think it serves the twofold purpose of giving a player the highest honor and also, not putting the future wearers of the number in a tough position.  Fair or not a lot of fans are always going to associate players with players who wore the same number and you just naturally end up with bigger shoes to fill. 

Many fans have an emotional attachment to certain numbers based on the players who wore them so I assume even if a team chose to never retire numbers, they'd feel the need to be judicious about handing certain ones out.  Fans might be more accepting of a hyped top prospect getting a legend's number than some random call-up.

I guess Olney's complaints feel especially weird to me because they've given out #35 most every year...the most recent wearers before this were Brad Brach, Dwight Smith, and Adam Plutko.  Yet Rutschman is the one that gets him complaining?

Kris Bryant, fresh off of missing a month with a lower back injury, returned this weekend and then promptly was scratched yesterday with further back discomfort. 

While I'm happy he got paid, I thought 7 years, $184 million was obscene for a guy who had already dealt with other back issues in his career.  Back and hip injuries are about as scary as it gets for the long-term prospects of a hitter.