Your clubs worst transfers

Dang117

Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd has got to be one of the worst signings in Premier League history considering his wages.

For Everton, the first player that comes to mind is Andy van der Meyde. Arrived from Inter with much fanfare yet only managed 24 appearances in nearly four years through a series of injuries, falling outs and personal problems. I think he ended up admitting to being an alcoholic and he certainly had no luck, but he was a huge flop at a time Everton were moving in the right direction and he did not endear himself to supporters or his colleagues.

Alexis Sanchez, Pogba, Angel Di Maria, Juan Sebastian Veron.

I guess Taibi was a big stuff up as well but he didn't cost much so I wouldn't put him in the same class as the others. Then you've got cheaper mistakes like Kleberson and Djemba Djemba.

Letting Kris Boyd move to Rangers in 2006 for a mars bar and a packet of monster munch when he was well on his way to becoming the league’s top goal scorer.

I think it’s been several years since Kilmarnock spent money on a player and that would have been a pittance so none of the signings - although there have been plenty of bad ones - have been high stakes enough to be particularly damaging.

I mean, there have been a few...

El Hadji Diouf, Paul Konchesky, Sean Dundee, Stewart Downing, Torben Piechnik and Charlie Adam come to mind immediately.

Lineker
This post was recognized by Lineker !

Gazz was awarded the badge 'Great Content'

Where do I start?

Guivarc'h? World Cup winning striker who lasted three months. I think he scored once.

Lazaar? Signed from Serie B in Italy. Not sure he was even up to that standard.

Pancrate? Somehow played nearly a hundred games for PSG. I'm not entirely sure if the bloke who signed for us wasn't someone else who stole Pancrate's identity.

Marcelino? Defensive liability who missed six months because of a 'finger injury' and a bunch of other injuries that never showed up on scans.

Thauvin? Physically incapable of playing in the Premier League.

Cabella? See Thauvin

Boumsong? A slower, shittier Titus Bramble

Barecca? Not entirely sure he existed

Gonzalez? Signed off of Youtube by Dennis Wise almost certainly as a bung to an agent.

Xisco? Maybe scored once

Muto? See Xisco

Riviere? See Muto

Romain Amalfitano? Almost certainly signed in error because we thought he was his brother, Morgan.

Sol Campbell? Cunt

• Haha 5

My instinct is that it has to be Lukaku.

There are plenty of players who cost Chelsea a chunk of money and returned literally nothing, though most of those didn't cost much in the context of the club's budget at the time. Relative small fry like Djilobodgi etc.

Although £50m in 2011 was more significant than £100m in 2021, at least Torres stuck around and contributed to several trophies over the years.

£70m for Kepa was even more mind-boggling than Torres, given he's a GK, but he did do... some things... occasionally.

For Lukaku to be a record signing and then have mentally checked out a few months later, before heading out on a pittance loan deal? FFS.

Side-note: my pre-Abramovich choice is and always will be Chris fucking Sutton.

43 minutes ago, ģå.żž said:

Pancrate? Somehow played nearly a hundred games for PSG. I'm not entirely sure if the bloke who signed for us wasn't someone else who stole Pancrate's identity.

Get out.

Also I still think Thauvin (like most players) was horrendously mismanaged by the club, given no time whatsoever to settle into the league and moved out far too quickly. The guy was in his early 20s and we got rid after a handful of games, only for him to immediately score for fun at Marseille and win a World Cup.

Absolutely agree though that Rafas scattergun approach to transfers was insane, the fact Lazaar couldn't even get games when we loaned him to the worst team in Serie A said it all. See also Jesus Gamez.

Sam Clucas was our one-time record fee for Swansea and cost a ridiculous £15 million after selling Gylfi for £40 million. The fee wasn't his fault but he was just one of many bad performers in our final Premier League season, so fans bollocked him. Single season, sold, and now regularly scores against Swansea - celebrating like Adebayor against Arsenal on one occasion. 

Roque Mesa cost £11 million for 11 games. Borja Baston was signed for £15 million and scored one Premier League goal, got loaned out a bunch of times and scored a handful in the Championship before leaving on a January free.

Then there's a string of one season wonders like Jose Moreira, Franck Tabanou, David N'Gog, Eder and Itay Shechter.