General Television Thread 2023

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Didn't realise Jack Bender was behind FROM. He was the director of basically all the best LOST episodes, which explains why I'm loving the show so far.

Yeah but if they'd said "From the director of your favourite Lost episodes" you wouldn't have watched it :shifty:

Glad it's back on Now TV tomorrow though, it's one of the more interesting things I've watched recently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really think that this season of Righteous Gemstones is the best one they have done so far. I feel as though they’ve really tapped into the characters of the three Gemstone children and they’re so, so good to watch. 

It’s nice to have a show that still constantly manages to make me laugh out loud every week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

Yeah but if they'd said "From the director of your favourite Lost episodes" you wouldn't have watched it :shifty:

Glad it's back on Now TV tomorrow though, it's one of the more interesting things I've watched recently.

From has such great potential and the first two seasons have been very good television. The Lost connection and my fear of shows being canceled willy-nilly after I fall in love with them had me on the fence about even starting it... but my boy Mercutio is getting his well-deserved run as a leading man on the show and I was hearing good things, so we started it and it's been great.

It has a lot of the same allure as Lost, but it doesn't feel like they're going to fuck us around as viewers like Lost did. I really do believe that when they made Lost, they thought they had this great slow-burn mystery, but then everybody called the end-game in season one and they spent subsequent seasons trying to throw everyone off that scent, only to arrive at that same bloody destination anyways.

Anyways... off my Lost frustrations and back to Harold Perrineau... very slight spoiler, but the moment that hooked me is in the very first episode when he just full on pimp slap's the ever loving shit out of a dumb moron. This show is fire, people. If you haven't watched it, give it a go. Season 3 is coming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

Exactly! They just advertised it on the basis of itself because it could stand on its own merits, so I watched it and found that fact out later!

3 hours ago, FLiam said:

I really think that this season of Righteous Gemstones is the best one they have done so far. I feel as though they’ve really tapped into the characters of the three Gemstone children and they’re so, so good to watch. 

It’s nice to have a show that still constantly manages to make me laugh out loud every week.

They're making me almost feel bad for poor Eli, a man who has marketed himself as bigger than God for 50 years. His kids are just that obnoxiously selfish. It's fantastic work.

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Danny McBride is absolutely phenomenal at writing characters who you absolutely should hate but for some reason have empathy for. If you haven't watched Vice Principals, I strongly suggest that next.

Vice Principals was fucking great.

Also, while it belongs in the movie thread, McBride and David Gordon Green have found the time for their own The Exorcist trilogy. Assuming the first one does well. Those guys are nuts.

Watching the Walking Dead spin-off Dead City and it's actually pretty good!  

Maybe it's the shorter episode count of 6, maybe it's the smaller cast, aside from Negan and Maggie there are only 4 other main characters and they mostly spend their time together, so it's not all over the place

16 hours ago, Lint said:

Watching the Walking Dead spin-off Dead City and it's actually pretty good!

Oh man, why did you have to say that? I just decided to finally finish the final season of TWD and was ready to close the book on it all, I don't need to be hearing that the spin-offs are good :lol:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Benji said:

Oh man, why did you have to say that? I just decided to finally finish the final season of TWD and was ready to close the book on it all, I don't need to be hearing that the spin-offs are good :lol:

This. We're currently grinding the last season and not quickly. Good spin-offs is the last thing I need.

On 25/07/2023 at 12:17, Colly said:

This. We're currently grinding the last season and not quickly. Good spin-offs is the last thing I need.

Man, the final section so far great, it really fucking dragged the first two thirds, I absolutely agree, but once it hits its stride it does seem to be going out with a bang.

• Like 1

I'm sad the Always Sunny season is over already, though it lasted longer than last time when they had two new episodes a week and were done in a month.  I have to say I admire that they stuck to their guns back in 2012 about capping themselves at 10-episode seasons and the last 2 seasons they cut it down to eight.  

The short seasons are still more than enough to lampoon whatever current events are going on while having a few episodes where they interact with their big cast of side characters, all while not stretching ideas too thin or making the show stale.

They've been renewed for a minimum of two more seasons and The Gang have all been on record that they see no reason to ever stop as long as they're enjoying themselves.  I feel like the absolute earliest I could see the show ending is when, sadly, Danny DeVito is no longer with us.  And even then I feel like he'd want Frank's death to be riffed off of.

On 28/07/2023 at 13:49, Benji said:

Anyone know if Django ends satisfyingly? IE should I watch it now or wait and see if it gets renewed?

Decided the lack of reaction and poor reviews said enough to not give it a shot :lol:

Instead, I'm finishing Westworld since I never got around to season four. I'm three episodes in and have just accepted that it's one of the best made shows that I've been entirely lost who's good, who's bad, and what the fuck is going on in for four seasons.