General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

High On Life is pretty ok I suppose. The gameplay is whatever, but the writing is enjoyable if you're into that type of humor. And apparently it's a pretty short game at about 10 hours or so? I'm already done 2 of 7 bounties. 

Yeah, if you're just doing the main story then that's about right. There's not really side stuff to doing outside of finding the chests and the warp bases but I don't think they add anything. I only tried one and it's more if a gag thing and, realistically, the stuff they warp in is only going to be the size of a building so they can't really add a whole extra level for you.

Its weird because I think what they were going for was a vague Metroidvania thing where you could re-explore older areas now you have new items and more stuff is opened up. But the game fights against that with how the in game chatter seems to actively chastise you for doing that because the guns will start saying 'cant help but feel there's something more important we could be doing' or words to that affect every 5 seconds. 

It feels like it should go without saying but the R&M connection seems to have helped massively. Like all those reports of it being the most popular Gamepass game ever doesn't really match from a quality level. Its a solid 7/10 but nothing amazing.

I've finally gotten around to Disco Elysium. Very, very well written. Sometimes doesn't feel like a game per se but the luck element of white and red checks keeps it engaging. I'm not totally clear if there's separate paths that the game takes you on based on decisions, but it feels like there's multiple ways you can play through and there is a more challenging mode they added in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baddar said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64187547

Almost 90% of games sold in the UK in 2022 were digital.

The 90% number is probably heavily skewed towards the PC gaming community, no? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the numbers still lean in favor of digital for consoles too - especially with both major consoles having digital only options and they're cheaper - but I'm still curious as to just how much.

When I had a Switch three years ago, I also bought digital, but FAR less since Nintendo's sales are routinely garbage and their first party stuff also never goes on deep discount, unlike Sony and Microsoft.

I think what's even more interesting is that 30% of the sales came from mobile apps like Steam or Playstation's app. All that tells me is that Xbox needs to get with the times and have a storefront on their Xbox app (and PC stores like Epic or GOG need to get on it as well).

I definitely think that PC game sales have influenced that figure significantly. I imagine the rise of subscription services, such as Game Pass and Playstation Plus, has been a contributing factor as well.

The inevitable all-digital future concerns me a little, primarily in terms of game prices. I saw Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart in ASDA for £15, whereas the Playstation Store typically sells it for £70. Really, for the amount you'd save on a digital PS5, you'd inevitably end up spending a lot more on the games themselves.

• Like 2

I'm almost 80 hours into Dragon Quest XI, and mostly really enjoying it, except for one bloody thing. I went into the game blind, so wasn't aware of any of it, none of the online discourse or anything. So I didn't know that one of the quests I need to complete is winning the jackpot in roulette.

That's it. There's no trick. You can't rig it, or game the system. It's basically trying to win at a random number generator. Whoever thought that was a good idea for a side-quest is a lunatic.

• Like 2

There was something similar in RDR2. You had to win three hands of Blackjack in a row after doubling down. I was very lucky that I managed it in about 10 hands but some people have spent literally days and weeks attempting it.

My thoughts on digital sales is that it's not some big panic button moment in the same way streaming services are. Digital ownership is still not without its problems, but in much the same way physical ownership is. If a means to play, watch, or listen to something is obsolete you will either have to rebuy or go without.

Overall, physical preservation is tantamount. But I don't think gaming in the near-term is going to have the same problems TV and movies are now facing, where titles are getting erased from existence.

Eventually I could see something like GamePass or PS+ making ownership of games impossible for nearly everyone, and that's the panic button moment. We're not there yet.

• Like 1

Just now, Benji said:

It honestly surprises me that mobile games are only 30% of the sales given that's the thing the bulk of the population is most likely to play.

I think the 30% figure in that article is saying that 30% of digital sales came from mobile apps that sell digital games (IE the Steam app, or Playstation's app).

But I could be wrong, because I was confused about that when I read it last night.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Benji said:

It honestly surprises me that mobile games are only 30% of the sales given that's the thing the bulk of the population is most likely to play.

That jumped out at me as well. We're always hearing about how many times certain mobile games have been downloaded. Presumably, it's because the mobile market is dominated by free-to-play games that aren't "bought", but make ridiculous money on in-app purchases.

• Like 1

I'm really not looking forward to the release of Hogwarts Legacy. I've seen so many people online saying that they're proudly pre-ordering it to "trigger the SJWs".

I've no doubt that it will sell well. It's top of the Steam sales chart a full month before its release, and Harry Potter obviously has a massive fanbase. What concerns me is that its inevitable commercial success will be used as a "Gotcha" by the usual suspects to support the claim that anti-trans activists are right.

• Like 2

This is the story of the property now sadly. She sold millions of copies of the books to people who were only buying them to "teach the wokes" over the last couple of years. The game looks like it'll be decent even if there's zero interest overall from me (just never got into the books or films so not a property that appeals) but the internet is going to be horrible once this comes out for a while.

Ubisoft delayed Skull & Bones, their sure to fail pirate naval combat game, yet again.  Original release was 2018.

All anyone wanted was Assassin's Creed: Black Flag without the Assassin's Creed lore attached to it.   This could have been a highly successful spin off series by now.

53 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Ubisoft delayed Skull & Bones, their sure to fail pirate naval combat game, yet again.  Original release was 2018.

All anyone wanted was Assassin's Creed: Black Flag without the Assassin's Creed lore attached to it.   This could have been a highly successful spin off series by now.

I'm really baffled as to how they've handled that game. As you said, everyone would have been happy with something that expanded on the pirate gameplay from Black Flag, but they've turned it into a Sea of Thieves knockoff. They're not likely to entice many people away from a game that's had several years to churn out new content and gather a sizeable community.

1 hour ago, lanky316 said:

This is the story of the property now sadly. She sold millions of copies of the books to people who were only buying them to "teach the wokes" over the last couple of years. The game looks like it'll be decent even if there's zero interest overall from me (just never got into the books or films so not a property that appeals) but the internet is going to be horrible once this comes out for a while.

Is there any evidence for this? I'm sure there will be people doing that, but they're still basically children's books and there will be plenty of children and parents who have no idea about any of her ranting. Twitter amplifies things, I'd be stunned if "millions" were buying books to own the wokes even if they say they are on social media.

• Like 2

The irony being they'll buy those books and largely get taught not to be arseholes to someone because they are different and to be a decent human being, which means they're more likely to adopt a positive attitude towards trans folks. Hate doesn't win in the end, it doesn't make for a good story.

• Like 1