WWE 2K24

Dave

Pat McAfee confirmed yesterday that the playable co-hosts in the McAfee DLC pack are, in fact, the co-hosts of his show with AJ Hawk, Darius Butler, Boston Connor, and Ty Schmit being in the pack with him.  So that's 2 former NFL players and his 2 most prominent on-air co-hosts who also are big gamers/wrestling fans.  Moreover he said he wouldn't agree to be in the game without them which might explain why he was planned DLC for 2k23 that got cancelled.  Random inclusion as they may be, guess I can give some credit to McAfee for getting some money for his guys, this says something about how much 2k or WWE wanted McAfee in this thing to give those other guys royalties.

Another tidbit that was said is that they all apparently have crazy moves.  So basically this might be their way of getting every AEW/NJPW/CMLL/Whatever else move into the game that they can.  Also means there's a chance they're not taking DLC spots away from others because this might've just been a Moves pack otherwise, you just now have some extra guys to beat up on if you want.

So all told, pretty harmless.  Still a bit annoying this pack comes out 2 months earlier than the one that has Dragon Lee and Jade Cargill, though.

WhatsTheStatus - who normally just puts in hidden models and alternate costumes has found a way to put in all of the game's female wrestlers in as custom wrestlers that can go into intergender matches. The commentary and everything else still works as epxected too - pretty cool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Buscher said:

Pat McAfee confirmed yesterday that the playable co-hosts in the McAfee DLC pack are, in fact, the co-hosts of his show with AJ Hawk, Darius Butler, Boston Connor, and Ty Schmit being in the pack with him.  So that's 2 former NFL players and his 2 most prominent on-air co-hosts who also are big gamers/wrestling fans.  Moreover he said he wouldn't agree to be in the game without them which might explain why he was planned DLC for 2k23 that got cancelled.  Random inclusion as they may be, guess I can give some credit to McAfee for getting some money for his guys, this says something about how much 2k or WWE wanted McAfee in this thing to give those other guys royalties.

Another tidbit that was said is that they all apparently have crazy moves.  So basically this might be their way of getting every AEW/NJPW/CMLL/Whatever else move into the game that they can.  Also means there's a chance they're not taking DLC spots away from others because this might've just been a Moves pack otherwise, you just now have some extra guys to beat up on if you want.

So all told, pretty harmless.  Still a bit annoying this pack comes out 2 months earlier than the one that has Dragon Lee and Jade Cargill, though.

Being able to beat Boston Connor bloody with a chair does have a lot of appeal.

• Haha 2

I had no reason to buy it, I don't know whether I even want to play it much, but I keep seeing things about how good it is, so I bought it.

I'll probably play MyFaction mostly, but I've given Showcase a try, and, blurring aside, it's really fun to watch the rendered cut-scene turn into archive footage, then back into the game render again. It's a shame that there's not something from every WM, but I guess there's only so much you can do with the image likenesses available.

(OK, blurring Fink's face is one thing, re-recording his announcements is both annoying, and unnecessary. Just mute the audio.)

I want to do some Royal Rumbles as well, I was thinking of doing a diary in the Cube (maybe letters of the alphabet or active years for each Rumble) but I don't think it would transfer well to a diary format.

I really like the current showcase format of mixing the original footage with gameplay but I get the impression that a lot of players hate it. I do think it's badly implemented sometimes though. I'd like to feel like I'm at least triggering the finishes. 

I ignore the blurring because I feel like they'd just AI generic faces onto people otherwise. 

Just completed Showcase and I agree I'm enjoying the changes from game play to real footage. It was kind of weird doing the Firefly Funhouse Match and seeing blurred faces of Mr. T and Big John Studd, as is the same with a lot of blurred faces like Okerlund and Finkel. Overall, I really enjoyed it but feel they still could and should have had at least one match from every Mania. I get why he was omitted, but playing as Brock Lesnar is super fun and kind of wish they'd have excluded him from Showcase as well. It's weird you could play as him in a few matches, but not the Royal Rumble at the end.

9 hours ago, Vamp said:

I really like the current showcase format of mixing the original footage with gameplay but I get the impression that a lot of players hate it. I do think it's badly implemented sometimes though. I'd like to feel like I'm at least triggering the finishes. 

I ignore the blurring because I feel like they'd just AI generic faces onto people otherwise. 

I've only done up to WM6 so far, but some of the video footage chosen is just... weird. During both Savage/Hogan and Warrior/Hogan they have at least of minute's footage of a resthold. Just Hogan sat in a chinlock for WM5, or in a bearhug for WM6. I guess it's to build excitement for when the player takes control again?

The blurred faces and re-recorded audio lines are quite annoying, the worst being Fink because I'm sure his family would have no problem with them using his likeness, and the company should be willing to pay a little bit of money to the family of someone who was such a loyal and well-loved employee.

On the flip side, Trump's face is blurred at WM5, which is wonderful.

• Haha 1

I prefer this video format to the very rigid objectives they had before. And triggering the exact finishes - trust me, you don’t want that when most of the time the characters you’re fighting have the Resiliency or “one free kick out” payback on them. You’d either need to burn it and hope you don’t get a fluke 1-2-3 or do the whole sequence again.

I really like that they put in unique animations sometimes for when you lose. I’ve seen Shawn Michael’s reacting to beating the streak, Michael’s also winning the ladder match, and Kevin Owens beating Stone Cold complete with commentary in all cases.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris2K said:

The blurred faces and re-recorded audio lines are quite annoying, the worst being Fink because I'm sure his family would have no problem with them using his likeness, and the company should be willing to pay a little bit of money to the family of someone who was such a loyal and well-loved employee.

For people not currently under contract with WWE, they have to negotiate each appearance/royalties fee separately. So it's a matter of 2K either not being able to get Finkel's estate to sign off on it, or not trying, rather than WWE themselves blocking it.

They should just replace every person they couldn't get rights for with The Enforcer from 2k16.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2024 at 17:56, apsham said:

WhatsTheStatus - who normally just puts in hidden models and alternate costumes has found a way to put in all of the game's female wrestlers in as custom wrestlers that can go into intergender matches. The commentary and everything else still works as epxected too - pretty cool.

I need this more for normal female caws so that they can have epic bloody wars.

The 40 Years of Wrestlemania pack is out today with the patch, and it's pretty good - they did go the extra distance and gave era approprirate themes (like the original 'This Is My Brutality' theme for 2020 Rhea) so a thumbs up on carrying over on that.

Thumbs down on the news that the action figure Hogan is going to be exclusive to buying an action figure at Target and using the code in it which is hard for any country that isn't America since... you know, it's the only place with a Target. Also locking content behind another purchase but one can at least rest easy that it's Hulk Hogan.