WWE 2K24

Dave

I'd imagine Punk is DLC if anything. I can see then holding off on announcing that.

I'm somewhat worried that the deep fakes will be in the showcase mode as talking heads. Austin is terrifying and I never want to see it again. 

It's fascinating watching people get upset that showcase probably won't have a match from every Mania. 

• Like 2

it's classic WWE games that so many of the new features they're promoting were already in games twenty years ago - better backstage brawls with interactive elements, special referees, casket matches; these are all things we had on the PS1! There's some stuff for MyGM that I've never played, but have heard specifically requested by Youtubers and podcasters who do, so that's fair enough, but so much of these games always feels like you're expected to be grateful for stuff that should be the norm by now.

The 40 Years of Wrestlemania mode doesn't sound meaningfully any different from previous showcases; that it's 21 matches means that there's not going to be something from every Wrestlemania, which is what the name implies to me. At the very least, I hope you can unlock every 'Mania's arena. From the AI art poster, it's not like "40 Years of Wrestlemania" is allowing us to play as stars that haven't made it into the games before - again, we've been able to play as Andre, Hogan, Bret, Austin and Rock in WWE games for 20+ years now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Skummy said:

it's classic WWE games that so many of the new features they're promoting were already in games twenty years ago - better backstage brawls with interactive elements, special referees, casket matches; these are all things we had on the PS1! There's some stuff for MyGM that I've never played, but have heard specifically requested by Youtubers and podcasters who do, so that's fair enough, but so much of these games always feels like you're expected to be grateful for stuff that should be the norm by now.

The 40 Years of Wrestlemania mode doesn't sound meaningfully any different from previous showcases; that it's 21 matches means that there's not going to be something from every Wrestlemania, which is what the name implies to me. At the very least, I hope you can unlock every 'Mania's arena. From the AI art poster, it's not like "40 Years of Wrestlemania" is allowing us to play as stars that haven't made it into the games before - again, we've been able to play as Andre, Hogan, Bret, Austin and Rock in WWE games for 20+ years now.

Not that it matters so much based on everything else they have going on with AI but apparently that poster is not AI but painted by an actual person

• Like 2

I do wish they'd go whole hog with the 40 Years of Wrestlemania idea though and include at least one match from every one. I get it would have some challenges, but would definitely be cool. Mostly, I'd love to see 2 feature the big blue cage and 9 as a way to get Goant Gonzalez in. Considering who's been in the games for years, all they'd need to add is Orndorff to have 1's main event. 9 has a unique feel arena which would be cool to have added. Yoko has been there for years so him and Bret can work. And if they're going to put a focus on different backstage brawls how fun would it be to have Raven/Kane/Show in there from X7? 

it's pie in the sky stuff, but just thinking in terms of likely rights agreements and so on, I'd think a genuine 40 Years of Wrestlemania series could look something like this:

Spoiler

1: Hogan & Mr T vs. Paul Orndorff & Roddy Piper
2: Randy Savage vs. George Steele
3: Hogan vs. Andre
4: Randy Savage vs. Ted DiBiase
5: Savage vs. Hogan
6: Hogan vs. Warrior
7: Hogan vs. Slaughter, or Savage vs. Warrior
8: Hogan vs. Sid Justice (assuming Flair is not an option)
9: Yokozuna vs. Bret Hart
10: Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels
11: Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels (though if they got King Kong Bundy for WM2's Hogan match, could re-use him and have Bundy/Taker here)
12: Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart
13: Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin
14: Shawn Michaels vs. Steve Austin
15: Steve Austin vs. The Rock
16: This is actually the trickiest one, due to Big Show being with AEW, and key people in other matches being persona non grata for various reasons. So maybe Kane and Rikishi vs. X-Pac and Road Dogg?!
17: Steve Austin vs. The Rock, or Undertaker vs. Triple H
18: Hogan vs. Rock
19: Lesnar vs. Angle
20: Undertaker vs. Kane, Lesnar vs. Goldberg, Eddie vs. Angle, or Rock N Sock vs. Evolution, to get a bit more match type variety
21: Batista vs. Triple H, or JBL vs. Cena
22: Cena vs. Triple H
23: Cena vs. Michaels
24: Orton vs. Triple H vs. Cena (assuming there's no option to have Flair, Big Show or Edge for some of the other big matches)
25: Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels
26: Cena vs. Batista, or Taker/Michaels again
27: Undertaker vs. Triple H, or Miz vs. Cena
28: The Rock vs. Cena
29: The Rock vs. Cena or Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar
30: Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker
31: Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar (with Seth Rollins cash-in)
32: Triple H vs. Roman Reigns
33: Roman Reigns vs. The Undertaker, or Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg
34: Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns
35: Becky vs. Charlotte vs. Ronda, if Ronda is available, otherwise Triple H vs. Batista or Reigns vs. McIntyre
36: Drew McIntyre vs. Brock Lesnar, or Undertaker vs. AJ if they fancy doing the Boneyard Match
37: Bianca Belair vs. Sasha Banks
38: Steve Austin vs. Kevin Owens
39: Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes

That's 39 matches, mostly main events and some semi-main events, that they could choose that involve people that have already been in the games in recent years, and allows for some variety in terms of different variants of the same characters, and a few different match types. I'd love something more wide-reaching, with people not in the games previously, and some weirder midcard matches, and varieties of gimmick match, but just to keep it simple in terms of the range of people involved, it's surprisingly easy to come up with a feasible list of matches from every Wrestlemania, and it's surprising which are the harder ones to find something - Wrestlemania 2000 especially. 

• Like 7