Carabao Cup 2024/25

Was quite interested on the release of the fixtures for the opening round to see who we would draw. Away to Stockport County. Should be a good game. Hopefully a win. 

Always love a random fact, or when they let us know how the last fixtures had gone for either side on the news site's.

Had me checking when they said the last time we faced Stockport was in 2001. A rare fixture between us with only 8 game between the clubs from 1937 to 2001 after checking myself the best I could. 

There's quite a few decent fixtures in the opening round that I will probably at least try to watch the highlights of. 

• 1 month later...

I cannot believe Doncaster have drawn Everton for the second year in a row, this time at Goodison.

Last season at Goodison and there's no chance I can get that off work to go, especially as my annual leave for the year is used up and resets in September. Shame.

• Admin

CARABAO CUP SECOND ROUND DRAW

Northern section
Grimsby Town v Sheffield Wednesday
Everton v Doncaster Rovers
Blackburn Rovers v Blackpool
Fleetwood Town v Rotherham United
Shrewsbury Town v Bolton Wanderers
Nottingham Forest v Newcastle United
Barrow v Derby County
Leicester City v Tranmere Rovers
Middlesbrough v Stoke City
Barnsley v Sheffield United
Harrogate Town v Preston North End
Walsall v Huddersfield Town
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Burnley

Southern section
Coventry City v Oxford United
Swansea City v Wycombe Wanderers
AFC Wimbledon v Ipswich Town
Birmingham City v Fulham
Watford v Plymouth Argyle
West Ham United v Bournemouth
Queens Park Rangers v Luton Town
Brighton & Hove Albion v Crawley Town
Crystal Palace v Norwich City
Cardiff City v Southampton
Millwall v Leyton Orient
Colchester United v Brentford

Second-round ties will take place the week commencing 26th August.

• 2 weeks later...

Why were the 6 sides entering at Round 3 given a seeding to avoid playing each other? It says for fixture clashes due to Europe but surely that would apply whether Man City played Arsenal or whether they played someone like Wimbledon?

30 minutes ago, Adam said:

Why were the 6 sides entering at Round 3 given a seeding to avoid playing each other? It says for fixture clashes due to Europe but surely that would apply whether Man City played Arsenal or whether they played someone like Wimbledon?

Only that they won't feel pressured to play any of the first XI against Wimbledon like they might against Arsenal. That's all.

• Admin

CARABAO CUP THIRD ROUND DRAW

Liverpool v West Ham
Manchester City v Watford
Arsenal v Bolton
Manchester United v Barnsley
Wycombe v Aston Villa
Coventry v Tottenham
Walsall v Leicester
Brentford v Leyton Orient
Blackpool v Sheffield Wednesday
Preston v Fulham
Everton v Southampton
QPR v Crystal Palace
Stoke v Fleetwood
Brighton v Wolves
AFC Wimbledon v Newcastle
Chelsea v Barrow

Coventry could be a tricky one.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

My brain still can't do the maths on it, but I think the issue is the games are over two weeks, but if Arsenal were due to play one week and Man City the other then there's no time for the Carabao?

What I don't understand though is given the CL draw is today (Europa tomorrow?) why they couldn't have just delayed the Carabao draw and used the actual limitations of who could play who, rather than just seeding the top 6.

There's so many levels of stupidity to this. They did that stupid seeded Carabao draw when they could have just waited a day or two til the UEFA comp draws were done and done the exceptions properly (and fairly), but surely common sense says that the PL shouldn't be selling TV rights either side of a cup week to the same team in the late Sunday and early Saturday slots. Amateur bullshit as always.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...