Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on r/Pokémon, thought it was a good point.

Event legendaries are very "un-Pokémon"
When I say this, I mean that they go against everything Pokemon is about, mostly about catching actual Pokemon. When you hear "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" it generally means finding them in the world you're given and battling them, and spending time to catch every single one in the region of your game. When there's a legendary, they are supposed to be significant to the story of the region in some way, and they're powerful and hard to catch. Part of what makes them special is that there is a challenge, and it's extremely satisfying to finally catch a legendary. Most games, you even get to use it to finish the game. Event legendaries are often the opposite of that. There's no challenge in finding them or catching them, no satisfaction of getting one. Most of the time you just pick it up from a delivery man in a Pokemon center (which is demeaning to the pokemon already. Legendaries are practically gods, and they're being handed out in packages). They don't do anything meaningful for the story, you don't even have really need to try to get one. Even when you have one, the only thing you can really do with it is beat the Elite Four again. You can't use them in the Battle Tower or equivalent battle place, and they don't help you beat the game because you generally have already beaten it by the team these events are released. So what's the point of event legendaries? They don't contribute to the games in any way outside of adding to the lore, and even then it isn't that significant. Please note: this isn't to say I don't want the specific pokemon (like Arceus, Diancie, etc.) to be in the game, but rather that they should actually be integrated into the world.

I agree in the most part, I would also argue that the Pokemon games should have a proper endgame beyond take on the elite four again, I've only finished upto B&W so far and I thought that had a great endgame in its own way since you had to do the elite four twice, first to cap the main story then to actually take on the elite four, plus I do like how they have recently added the fact that the elite four get stronger pokemon for the rematch but once you get good at beating them it starts to get a little boring. I do hope they start to consider side mission DLC for the endgame to give something more to do and maybe link in with these event legendaries. I do dislike being given Pokemon, it just seems lazy, I'd rather be given an event item to open up an area to do/catch something.

I never bothered getting into the battle frontier stuff, I always pop in give it a match or two, get bored and go hunting to finish off my Dex, the only thing that tempted me was the world tournament in B2&W2 where you could go against every gym leader but I never got round to grabbing a copy, and now since I've upgraded to a N3DS which had a deal with AS, X&Y are on the back burner to get when I finish that (or as of right now start it).

Oh and in regard to your fave pokemon question this has to be my answer

• Like 2

It's annoying the crap out of me that I didn't get my Victini. I bought my game on day one (as I always do) and forgot to use the code that came with it before it expired because the event didn't start until a few weeks after purchase day and Pokémon is pretty much the only game I play on DS so I never bothered looking back in the case. Shit like that is what makes me hate the games.

So, Red, Blue and Yellow are coming to the eShop for 3DS in February, to coincide with the 20 year anniversary. They've confirmed you'll be able to do wifi trading and battling as part of it, which sounds awesome.

Part of me is excited, but part of me wishes they'd have done full 3D remakes. Particularly as there's no way you'd be able to get these Gen I Pokemon in to Bank...

On 11/6/2015, 6:13:13, Benji The Friendly Ghost said:

Anyone? :(

I was hoping I had the Victini I got from my original White game as a spare but I don't :/ I assume you really wouldn't be willing to trade for anything else?

They pulled a TNA. Corocoro released a note that next month they'll have an announcement <_<

In this month's issue of CoroCoro, it has a page detailing what will be in the next issue. In this, it has a note stating that big Pokémon news for 2016 will be revealed in the issue. Typically, in the issues released in December, the first details of the next movie are revealed, but the issue doesn't clarify if this is what it is referring to. The magazine is due for release on December 15th and we'll cover the news as and when it comes so keep checking back

I am crazy. I was like "well, lets do something fun, I am going to try to beat Pokemon X... But I'll do it with only one type of Pokemon. And I'll only use Pokemon I catch in the wild...

And I'll do it only with Bug Pokemon!" 

• Like 1