Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

It's not like they're going to stop the main series games. There's too much tied to them for them to stop making them, this is just another side-project that has the potential to be good, but is currently for me a very much wait-and-see prospect.

I hope it's awesome though.

• Like 1

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not like they're going to stop the main series games. There's too much tied to them for them to stop making them, this is just another side-project that has the potential to be good, but is currently for me a very much wait-and-see prospect.

I hope it's awesome though.

They need to get into the hugely profitable mobile phone gaming market as well.  They put out Pokemon Shuffle which has been doing very well, but this is next level.

Holy shit.

This looks fucking amazing.

damshow sweetie you know there aren't actually going to be armies of people gathered in times square to unite against a virtual mewtwo right?

I go to plenty of conventions, I will be around armies of people with this game pretty regularly.

Over the past few weeks I have grown unreasonably frustrated at how bad ice types are (first world geek problems, I know). They seriously need some kind of balance for it, especially since competitive battling relies so much on fire, rock, fighting and steel types, which are all ice-killers, and ice is literally only defensively strong to itself.

Even offensively they aren't great - their status as dragon killers has been taken by fairy, grass types are weak to plenty of more popular types and ditto ground, so really their only gains are on flying types, which are generally defensively weak anyway or are better covered by electric moves and secondary typings.

I think they need fixing - make them super effective against Psychic types (based on brain freeze) and Bug types (based on hibernation habits), and make them defensively strong against electric attacks (ice is a poor conductor) and give them more mixed typings. Right now - Ice/Normal, Ice/Fighting (even with Ice Punch?!), Ice/Poison, Ice/Bug, Ice/Steel, Ice/Fire and Ice/Fairy aren't used. It is currently also tied with ghost as the rarest type, meaning there's still plenty of variance in move pool and stats to bring out.

Edited by Benji

Ice/Normal would just make it even frailer against Fighting types, which it doesn't need. Agree it needs balancing though. It should absolutely be super effective against Bug. I can't think off the top of my head, but if water resists it, they should make it neutral as well.

Yeah, I was just listing off all the types I could think of. Although a massive furry Snorlax Ice/Normal evolution (based on its Thick Fat) with even more ridiculous HP and defense could be a beast.

Water does resist it, but they added in Freeze-Dry last gen, which is double effective against water types, to counter balance it, not that it makes any actual difference with the absurd pool (heh) of Mons that water has.

Edited by Benji

Not sure Ice/Steel is a good idea because Fire will absolutely destroy it as well. Agree on the Psychic/Bug weaknesses but with the logic behind Psychic's weaknesses (irrational fears) I could see why they wouldn't do Psychic.

One thing I was thinking would be amazing, was if they made Hail potentially make non-ice types likely to flinch or more likely to miss their attacks, say 20% chance. It would make it much more viable move to use, and counter-act the fact the defensive frailties ice-types have.

• Like 1

I finished an Ice-type monotype over the summer when I was just doing a bunch of monotypes because I was bored. Jynx, Avalugg, Mamoswine, Cloyster, Aurorus, and Mega Thanks Obamasnow. It was fucking rough. One big issue is that there aren't even a whole lot of Ice-type moves relative to other types--Avalugg is built to physically tank, but its only physical Ice moves worth a damn are Ice Fang (65 strength, oh boy) and Avalanche (always goes second, only hits 120 damage if the other person attacks). I had no serious answer to Fighting types on the team because, as strong at special moves as Jynx is, she's a glass cannon and can't take a punch. The Steel-type Elite Four trainer was the dirt worst because he's got this evil little Scizor with Bullet Punch and it was just mowing down the whole team before anyone could move. Ice has some individually good mons in it (Skill Link Cloyster and Thick Fat Mamoswine, I guess you can probably do something with Jynx) but by and large the type is the absolute worst.

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever even used an Ice-type now that I think of it, they're almost useless. I always thought Abomasnow should've been the Snorlax evolution that Benji was suggesting, it certainly looks that part. Just needs to be bigger!

• Like 1

Ice is severely underutilized.  It feels like an afterthought throughout each game too, except for that one stretch where you go into some snowy town or cave.  There's a lot of potential in it because of this and I would really hope that it's the next type the work on boosting.  Freeze-dry was a welcome addition, but it solves a symptom.  Why would I even have an Ice-type out there against a Water-type anyway?  I can only envision it being useful as a last-ditch effort.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Possibly a long shot, but does anyone have/is able to give me a Swift Swim Poliwag? I want to try and put together a rain team for the Battle Maison, and since Kyogre's banned I need a Politoed to do it.

Would be appreciated if anyone can get one for me. :)