Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

Yeah, just edited that plus a bunch of other info into my post above.

I didn't actually think of that being a part of it, though. I know there were rumors of being able to travel back to Hoenn or something like that with B/W2, and I never understood how it would make sense or why the main plot would be connected to it (maybe trying to find N or something). I really hope it isn't about Magma/Aqua returning, because I don't think it would fit in with Gen V's story. Not to say the story for Ruby/Sapphire was bad, because I never actually finished Ruby when I had it, but I want the continuing story from B/W, not a story from two generations ago being shoehorned in.

But for now I'll just assume it's nothing more than a new thing to actually make versions feel different instead of just the Pokemon you can catch.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided I'm just going to play through Leaf Green now and enjoy a game, lets have some suggestions for a decent team for me to put together. Can't guarantee I'll use them all but let's see what we can get hmm?

No EV training, no checking IVs or setting up move sets, just good old fashioned fun. As the game intended. I'll save the complicated stuff for when Black and White 2 come out. :)

On my GBA I still have Blue version rocking, and I'm using the underappreciated all-stars on that one. It's great fun. Was using Butterfree, Dugtrio, those types. I think you should go mono-poison. Nidos, bugs, maybe Arbok/Weezing. Wonderbar!

I'd second a Nido. Not sure how they are in the Gen III remakes, but I definitely want to take a stab at EV training one in the Gen V games.

Not-EV training is how I do my play-throughs. I'd rather enjoy the story than worry about keeping track of how many more Patrat's I need to battle. Even when I get B/W 2 I'll raise a team from scratch for the main game.

As for other suggestions... Fearow (for some reason I prefer it to Pidgeot), Marowak, Cloyster, Hypno? Could also try going sans starter as well.

Also, I doubt anyone would want it, but I gave my friend the Lugia from the previous save file in my used Black game since it was hacked to all hell (shiny and had moves that are exclusive to other legendaries I think), but he's wondering if anyone would want to trade something for it.

Edited by Vitamin E

I don't want no hacked pokemon :shifty:

Cheers for the suggestions, I'll reply to each one in a sec.

I'm going all awesome on it at the moment and currently have Bulbasaur, Rattata, Pidgey and Weedle, which are all I've seen at the moment but training them all is a bit of a bitch - I must have got a shockingly slow Pidgey as it seems to get out moved by everything and it's defence or HP must be lower than average as at level 4 it was struggling against level 2.

Butterfree - Not exactly a suggestion of yours but I'll disregard it anyways as I've completed the original game many times with Butterfree.

Dugtrio - A perhaps, I've used them a little bit but never massively.

Nidos - Another good shout, I wouldn't use both but maybe one of them for sure. Don't think I've ever use a King/Queen in a proper game.

Arbok - I think I'll try for an Arbok, never used one before.

Weezing - Used one a few times particularly in third generation so probably nto Weezing.

Fearow - I prefer it to Pidgeot as well, I may include one if I decide to go with a flying type, though I don't often.

Marowak - Think I will go for a Marowak, again never really used one properly.

Cloyster - My favourite pokemon in the game, Shellder and Cloyster are exclusive to Fire Red though I believe, so probably not. Ice types are my favourite though.

Hypno - When I played through Red and Blue earlier in the year with my friend my second best pokemon was a Hypno, so I'm not in a rush to use one again.

I picked Bulbasaur as my starter as I used Charizard in the Red game earlier in the year and I've used Squirtle a few times too. It's been a while since I used Bulbasaur and I didn't think there were any other grass types I wanted, whereas fire I could be tempted by Rapidash and there are bountiful water pokemon to choose from.

I like the idea of leaning towards a particular type, at the end of the day the Elite 4 can be beaten with a strong enough team regardless of type/movesets. A Beedrill for example, as long as it's strong enough, should be good enough at the end - so I don't mind too much. And like I say, I want to use a team I've hardly used at all before, not to mention I often sentimental and once I get 6 pokemon I don't switch them out for pokemon later in the game, so I've completed the games before with a starter, Ratticate, Pidgeot, Butterfree etc. in my team.

Thoughts on dropping the starter as well are welcome..

So Venasaur, Arbok, Marowak, Dugtrio(?), Nidoking/queen..

Any other suggestions? Keep them coming. :)

Seadra, yes! I love that bastard and I never get to use one. Onix bores me. Venomoth was one I considered, Persian I've never used either. Kangaskhan has never been used either, always struggled to catch one, plus it just being a plain normal type seemed so anti-climatic for it. Jynx I'm unsure about, never really liked it, despite it's ice typing.

I'll let suggestiosn keep flowing but think there's a good, unused six there for me to use. Cheers Plub :D

For anyone who cares the Speed Gamers will be doing a catching marathon where they try and capture all 600+ pokemon in about 5 days or so. Starts in a few hours and looks like it'll be recorded in some form? No idea what it'll be like as I've just found out about it but they're raising money for a worthy cause so get a thumbs up from me at least.

http://www.thespeedgamers.com/

Looks like my LG copy is faulty as it crashes everytime the rival battle triggers on the SS Anne, so I can't get cut and proceed any further. Shame as I was putting together a good team, may pop in Soul Silver later on instead.

One of my favorite YouTube personalities HuskyStarcraft is doing a "Let's Play" of Pokemon Blue right now and it's pretty entertaining since he hasn't played the games much before.

is right here, he's done two episodes so far if anyone is interested in watching.

Okay, so playing Pokemon Diamond and I started with Chimchar and can't beat the first gym. I traded for the Abra, but he already won't listen to me and doesn't have the defense to stay around long in the gym battle. Who should I go catch to beat this first guy? I can't find anyone who would counter his Cranidos.

Ugh, Soul Silver keeps sticking as well. Looks like neither of them games are going to be goers for me. Might be back to Pearl or White for me. :shifty:

Regarding the first gym, check when they're around but you can get a Budew before the first gym - that's what I used to beat Roark.

Since Leaf Green and Soul Silver don't appear to be working I decided to buy Pokemon Black to play through before B&W2 come out. I can't restart White since I have stuff like a Level 100 Arceus etc. which is annoying.

As an aside Vit E, I have a Rufflet, Solosis and Naughty natured Ditto all waiting for you. I don't particularly need a Vullaby as I appear to have one but just trade whatever you fancy for it. Just not a Patrat or Pidove. :shifty:

It makes me sad that I never finished Black, it's not that I'm growing out of Pokémon, the game just didn't grip me in the way previous games have.

I had the same problem with Black and Diamond. The DS era just isn't doing it for me.

Ace: I've got the Gothita for you. Haven't been able to get a Houndour yet. The only thing I really have to trade are spare Ditto <_<. Unless you might need a Cryogonal?

Okay, have it bred and hatched for you. Also, I'd want the Solosis and Ditto more, so I don't mind trading just for those two for now while I try to get a Houndour for you for the Rufflet.