Worst Covers Ever

9 to 5

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Britney Spears did a shit cover of I Can't Get No Satisfaction, but I can't be sure. It may have been a dream, because after hearing it I woke up 3 months later covered in my our feces and bleeding from the ears.

Ronan Keating did an atrocious version of Fairytale Of New York by the Pogues, bastard nearly ruined the original for me too.

I'd also like to nominate Scissor Sisters' version of Comfortably Numb. Just horrible.

A controversial mention goes to Metallica's attempt at Whiskey in the Jar. Not only was it a bad version, but the video just proved the either didnt know, or didnt care, what the song meant. grrr

Or that they let a director handle the video, rather than directing it themselves, what with them being busy people and all. Plenty of videos don't reflect the meaning of the song.

Personally, I like the Scissor Sisters' version of Comfortably Numb. I'm not a big fan of the original, the original's the best track on The Wall, but that's like saying it's the least painful form of cancer, so I don't really see them changing it so much to be any kind of musical outrage. It's refreshing to see a band drastically alter a song when they cover it, rather than attempting to play it straight, which is usually pointless.

I nominate UB40's "Red Red Wine" for now, as I'm having difficulty thinking of bad cover versions, although I'm sure plenty will come to me in time.

Edited by Skumfrog

Ryan Adams cover of Wonderwall makes me want to take a chair to my face. Though anything he does makes me want to jump off a high cliff thats probably the worst.

This is were I should search for Dragsy's quote about Oasis fans, this song and the cover...but I'm lazy.

Put it simply, the cover isn't that bad, Oasis fans just seem to believe the song is somewhat untouchable.

I don't get how Avenged Sevenfold's version of "Walk" is bad. It sounds almost exactly the same as the original, atleast to me.

My nomination is Most Precious Blood's version of "Head Like A Hole".

I don't get how Avenged Sevenfold's version of "Walk" is bad. It sounds almost exactly the same as the original, atleast to me.

It's bad because they're shit talentless posing wankers.

And it's ISN'T Pantera.

Edited by BillyGunnPinchedMyBum

I believe it was muddatrucker who said that any conversation about bad covers needs to mention Nickelback's "Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting". But I may be misquoting him, so he can feel free to jump in.

And yes, Britney did "I Can't Get No Satisfaction", which was wrong on so many levels it almost deserves its own thread.

I realize Shatner did "Lucy in the Sky", but I feel we need to disqualify any Golden Throats entries, as they were clearly intended as jokes.

Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss" took a tender 50s ballad and made it creepy, though I'm sure I'm in the vast minority when I say the original was better. Or in the vast minority who knew there WAS an original.

And I personall HATE Manson's version of "Sweet Dreams", but I'm sure that's heretical to say.

All those covers of "Intro". They all suck and can't live up to the original.

But in all seriousness, most covers I don't mind. A lot, especially in metal, are done more as jokes/for fun (Like Bodom covering pop songs) than for actual serious purposes. But Avril Lavigne was damn serious in all her covers, and they all suck. GoGo mentioned "Chop Suey!". That IS the worst cover ever.

Edited by damshow

At first, I questioned why no one said Limp Bizkit's cover of "Bittersweet Symphony"...then I realized no one's probably heard it.

Zing.

Seriously though, they butchered that beautiful, beatutiful song.

It's bad because they're shit talentless posing wankers.

And it's ISN'T Pantera.

It sounds damn near dead on, so both of those points are pretty much meaningless. The reason you don't like it is because they're a trendy band. In reality, they did a good cover of the song, far better than Kilgore's. Not quite as fun as Disturbed's version though. For a straight, unchanged cover, it's harmless.

Now, as for bad covers... this one pains me since it's a band I really like, but Lacuna Coil's cover of "Enjoy the Silence" is fucking dreadful.

Pearl Jam's cover of the Dead Boys/Rocket From The Tombs Sonic Reducer. The song is technically a Rocket From The Tombs song, but the Dead Boys borrowed it, seeing as they had some of the same members. Still, most people aren't even aware of Rocket From The Tombs existance. Either way, Pearl Jam's cover blows.

I also hated the Red Hot Chilli Peppers cover of The Ramones "Havana Affair". They took a great song and made it dreadfully boring.