The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

• 1 month later...

Doomsday Clock ending

Spoiler

I love this and how it presents what Superman means.

But I wanna know if I'm reading this right.

In the end Dr.Manhattan was so moved by Superman's words and actions that he created a situation and gave what was left of himself to give the Watchmen universe a Superman so he could eventually make the world better and give people hope like he does in the DCU?

4 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

So, basically, if I read your spoiler right...

Hide contents

Doctor Manhattan is gone, and there's now a Superman in the Watchmen universe. Is it an actual Superman, or a Superman-like character?

Spoiler

If I've read it right...

Yes. He took the child of a couple villains, raised hm for a few years then when it was time brought him back to earth, infused himself into the boy to give him power and left the kid on the doorstep of Silk Spectre and Nite Owl.  Their daughter opens the door and asks him his name.

V8AHYjORh1yA80Bl7bdp_h3kWewIdqxI1SQKkBVl

His entire conclusion in the end seems to be that every universe needs a Superman to bring hope to the world if everything is going to work out. He decides he can't be a hero like that by the nature of his detached personality and his life as a normal man before his powers not being like Clark's so he molds this boy to be Superman in the future.  Ozymandias started the story looking for Manhattan to save the Watchmen universe. The story ends with Manhattan making the one that can eventually.

Here's the wiki explanation

Spoiler

After arriving on Earth, Manhattan meets Superman in person during Black Adam's invasion on the White House, with Ozymandias watching.[25] Manhattan witnesses Superman's fight with Black Adam and the Russian superheroes. He eventually reveals to Superman that he is the one who has been tampering with reality, and has also caused the death of his parents. Manhattan expects Superman to attack him, but Superman instead protects him from an attacker and then tells him that he should use his powers for good. Manhattan is inspired by Superman's heroism and his pivotal role in the fabric of reality ; he undoes part of his actions, restoring much of the pre-New 52 timeline. Many characters are brought back into existence, including Superman's parents. Manhattan also goes back in time and changes Carver Colman's future for the better. He then goes back to the Watchmen universe, bringing Rorschach and Ozymandias with him. Manhattan saves his Earth by making all nuclear weapons disappear. Afterwards, he takes Mime and Marionette's infant son with him and proceeds to raise him on his own, so he will become their Planet's equivalent to Superman. Eventually, Doctor Manhattan goes back in time and changes his own past, creating a timeline where he never becomes superhuman, marries Janey and raises a family with her. Doctor Manhattan then erases himself from existence, transferring part of his powers to the Planet and to Mime and Marionette's son. He leaves the boy - whom he has named Clark - to be adopted by the former Nite Owl and Silk Spectre.

• 3 months later...

Spawn has issues following a storyline.

An issue was spent building up Angela and explaining Angels hunting Hellspawn then she gets spanked in a page and a half, runs away and then Spawn is right on to another thing with his bum friends.

Spawn kidnaps Chapel out of The Youngblood base, mutilates him and then it's back to the bums with no repercussions.

I imagine these things come back around but they're things that real don't make sense to be able to just drop and move on.

Been reading loads of great stuff this year. 

I got up to date with Saga, which continued to be the most readable, binge-able comic I've ever read. I love getting lost in something so big and vast and the final issue before their hiatus completely ripped me apart. 

Finally started Neil Gaiman's Sandman and, although it takes a little while to find its feet in the first volume, Doll's House kind of blew my mind. It's such an inventive piece of work, so playful with the form of comics, it's totally living up to the hype. Need to press on and order more of it, really. 

Nick Drasno's Beverly, his debut book before Sabrina was so good, you can see his style and story-telling develop in the latter, but the former has all these great ideas and, just like in Sabrina, he has this knack for dissecting American society, fully exploring alienation an dysfunction in an authentic way I haven't seen in other mediums. 

Read a bit of Marjorie Lui's run on X-23, off the back of being a huge Monstress fan. It's kinda fun, jumping back into something Marvel, but her voice isn't as strong as in Monstress, it's an interesting first volume, exploring some deep-rooted themes of abuse, redemption and nature / nurture, but it feels a bit on-the-nose at times. My library has the rest, so might read a bit more. 

Likewise, my library had the first volume of Descender, which I loved. The art is stunning, I'm a sucker for a space opera and the first five issues are a really lovely introduction into that world. Again, just a case of saving a bit of cash for more as my library doesn't have the rest.

Did a re-read of the first two volumes of The Umbrella Academy to get geared up for the third. Loved the first two - they meant as much to me as they did when I was 13. Always going to be a huge fan of whatever Gerard Way does. The third was messy and chaotic, I was very happy to be back in that world, but it felt like a tease of more to come, and we already had to wait 10 years for this one. 

And right now, I've just picked up the first volume of Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, as it's one of those comics, like Sandman, that everyone seems to reference. I'm loving it so far. 

Basically in a position where I've started a bunch of stuff and struggling to afford to keep any one thing going and I manage to get distracted and start something else instead. Within the last year, I've totally recaptured my love for comics. 

Regarding Doom Patrol, I highly recommend getting hold of the original series from the 60's, if possible. (My Greatest Adventure #80-85, Doom Patrol vol 1 #86-121) They've been reprinted quite a bit. I have Silver Age Doom Patrol vol 1 on my Kindle, which reprints their appearances through issue #95, but they never did a volume 2. However, I have read pretty much the entire series.(There are also reprints split across 5 Archives (Hardbacks, so a bit pricey) or 2 black and white Showcase volumes. There's also a Silver Age Omnibus that reprints the entire series in one book, but I haven't checked to see how much it would cost.)

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Probably a bit late, but Marvel Unlimited have got a load of free arcs on til the end of April. You don't need to register, just download the app and go to Free Comics. 

Oh boy, I had no idea if this was a thing. 

Just gonna try a 7 day trial anyway. Although, I'm not big on reading comics on my laptop & I don't have an iPad (which seems better suited?). 

Anyone got some recommendations for some recent stuff? 

Keen on House of X and picking up more of Immortal Hulk. Looking a little further back, keen to read more Spider-Gwen and picking up Mighty Thor. 

13 hours ago, Benji said:

lnywhhdchyt41.jpg

This crossover would be dope.

The funny thing about that crossover idea is that Terry would be wildly out of his depth.  Both take place in the future but BB is roughly 10 to 15 years past whatever the current IRL year is at publishing date. On the other hand that Spider-Man is from nearly 80 years in the future still.

6 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Terry becomes Batman in 2039

You're correct. I was mixing up when Bruce quit with when Terry started.

2099 is Miguel O'Hara, right? I want to say that the 90s Spider-Man had episodes with him that served as a backdoor pilot into a brief spinoff.

You know, Spawn is like the face of 90's edge and given his backstory you'd expect him to be all Grimdark all the time but he's actually funny and chill a lot of the time. Like at one point after he gets thrown back to earth from heaven he's in Virgina and is walking his way back to NYC. His bum friends all think he's dead and are decorating his throne to mourn him so he sneaks up on them and jumps out and yells "boo!" before laughing about it and stuff. 

on the other hand...Jesus Christ Al, if you don't want Wanda to go into screaming terror fits when you go to see her maybe you should cover up that satanic hamburger pile of a face you have. The spooky mask is far more comforting.