MMA News and Discussion Thread

Damn, you got GSP/Penn, Mir/Nog, and Wanderlei potentially fighting on the card and you got one great card.

Good point, I have yet to get my hands on a copy of Choke, the documentary about Rickson Gracie preparing for the Japan Vale Tudo Championship. The Smashing Machine was just so damn interesting to watch because it catches Kerr right as he is about to fall from grace. It's pretty hard to watch Kerr today because he grappling skills were pretty damn good. Just a question about Japan MMA, but who owns the video library for Rings? Did PRIDE buy them out because there are some great fights from Nog, Dan, Fedor, and others.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

And here are a handful of notes from the new Observer.

I left out anything that didn't interest me, and the stuff I did include is extremely bare-boned, because buy it yourself you cheap fucks.

-Tito/Sobral looks definite for 10/11 Affliction, Belfort/Lindland is definite

-WEC will have 8 shows on Versus in 2009 (up from six)

-For UFC, November is most likely Portland, Oregon (which I guess makes Montreal December), with Boston and NYC hopefully in early 2009

-Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra maybe in January

-Carano will likely fight on the 10/4 CBS show, but NOT against Cyborg

So it's looking like Montreal is gonna be the big year-end show this year, which appears to be getting Penn/GSP, and I would guess also Nogueira/Mir for the Heavyweight strap? If the new season wraps up by then, which I would imagine it would...

The Heavyweight Title fight was scheduled for December, with no specific show mentioned. I assume it will be a co-main event in Montreal.

Carano is likely to be fighting Kelly Kobold-Gavin on the October 4th show. MMA Junkie reported that on the 2nd August.

After her dominating win over Shayna Baszler at last weekend's "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" event, Cristiane Cyborg (5-0) was mentioned as a possible Oct. 4 opponent for EliteXC poster girl Gina Carano (6-0).

Instead, the undefeated Carano is expected to face Kelly Kobold-Gavin (16-2-1), according to Mike Chiappetta of NBCSports.com, citing a source close to one of the fighters.

The bout is expected to be announced soon, according to the report.

The Carano vs. Kobold-Gavin fight will be one of the main draws for the October CBS-broadcast event, which takes place at the 22,000-seat BankAtlantic Center near Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Heavyweight Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson is slated to headline the event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported last weekend that Carano, a gladiator on NBC's "American Gladiators," had been announced as an Oct. 4 competitor. However, an opponent wasn't immediately revealed.

Kobold-Gavin, a six-year MMA veteran, hasn't competed since August 2006, when she suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Julie Kedzie at a BodogFIGHT event. It was her second consecutive loss after strarting her career with a near-spotless 16-0-1 record.

Tickets for the Oct. 4 event are now on sale and start at $30.

For the latest regarding EliteXC on CBS III, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

Kampmann vs. Marquardt at UFC 88. Go Nate.

Edited by IAceI

I have no idea what happened to the RINGS library. I know Fedor had a bunch of RINGS bouts up on his website at one time. Besides that, it's difficult to find any footage or even info about the damn promotion. I haven't looked real hard, as I don't have much interest in it.

Sherdog is saying that the merger of the 185 and 205 divisions of WEC and UFC could happen within months.

Ok, besides Filho moving over, this isn't so much about merging two divisions for the sake of deepening competition as it is to make room for more of the lighter weights in WEC.

Cantwell, Stann... That's pretty much your WEC LHW division right there. I honestly like both of these guys as MMA prospects. In the UFC, these guys are easily nothing more than depth right now and I'd hate to see their potential wasted being thrown into fights they are way over their head in. Which I don't think the UFC will be doing, they'll keep them in prelims or possibly on Spike to start off.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Reljic's debut was impressive. After watching Wilson get hit with like 50 head kicks, even my head hurt. Goran was so fierce that fight that you kind of forget that it wasn't a one sided fight, Wilson had opportunities to finish and fuck, it took a battering ram to eventually KO him. I like Thales to have his way with Goran on the ground.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

So it looks like the door is open for Fedor again.

Dana White has spoken out about wanting to sign who many believe to be the best heavyweight in the world, Fedor Emelianenko.

Speaking on tagradio.com, when asked whether he would now consider signing the Russian after his impressive performance against former UFC champion, Tim Sylvia, White said: “Sure, if Fedor wants to come in and fight in the UFC, I’d work out a deal with him.”

He went on to say that the last time he tried to sign Fedor it was issues with his management and their own demands that prevented the deal going through. It seems for now that the ball is back in Fedor’s court. We can only watch and wait to see how this plays out.

From MMAbay.co.uk

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I don't think the door was ever not open for Fedor, it's just that he wants a bunch of stuff UFC won't give him.

Besides, signing Fedor would turn the rest of their HW division into a joke.

Kinda pointless really. Dana's too stubborn to back down, especially being in charge of the biggest MMA organization in the business.

It's down to Fedor to relent with his and the managements excessive demands and agree to what Dana wants. I don't think any amount of talk from Fedor will make Dana negotiate much outside the box of what he'd have planned.

If Dana doesn't want extra people to be signed like Fedor wanted last time.

And Fedor still wants those people to be signed like last time.

Then it's a case of, Fedor gives in on his demands or doesn't come to the UFC. And I don't necessarily see if either of them are going to change their case much, I know Dana won't. Basically, if Fedor is as stubborn as Dana we'll probably never see him in the UFC. If we want to see Fedor in the UFC, he's going to need to change his negotiations.

I still hope we see Fedor come to the UFC for a few fights. It might lure Randy back and give us a couple of good fights. Hell, Lesnar might make some exceptional improvements and we can watch 3 minutes of Lesnar bull rushing Fedor a bit before Fedor pulls of a slick submission... I wish <_<

With the kind of money Fedor is making with Affliction, there's no way he'll make the jump and sign with UFC. Dana won'tgive him that much per fight. Once Affliction goes out of business, Dana will dick around and refuse to negotiate with Fedor.

Setanta Sports, 3am. Lesnar is second last match on. So look for it to be around 5:05am ish maybe? Somewhere round there. But it really depends on how long the matches before it last and stuff like that, so that's just an approximate guess.

EDIT: Edited times so it made sense <_<

Edited by IAceI

The Racing Post tipped Herring to beat Lesnar in thier sport pull-out.

Just thought I'd mention it....though I also find a predominantly Horse Racing paper feels the need to drop in the odd small column on UFC because there is betting on it.

Oh the Herring/Lesnar match is massively up in the air. Herring is a massive veteran, and after Lesnar was submitted so easily by Mir it's anyones guess at the minute.

It's a fight where you wouldn't be surprised to see Lesnar win in the first round. Or see it go to the judges. Or even Herring win in the first.

My personal reasons for picking it is because Lesnar, since his loss to Mir, will have done a lot to make sure he doesn't get caught so obviously. But no amount of practice will be able to stop Lesnar from picking you up and slamming you on your back. I totally believe that had Mir not submitted Lesnar when he did, Lesnar was one take down and a couple of canned-food-esque fists around from a big victory. And if needs be I think he can take down Herring for all 3 rounds and do the same thing over and over and over.

I think it's going to be a really interesting fight though, something really explosive.

If Lesnar wins the fight, it will be brute force winning it for him. That said, Heath Herring is my pick. I just don't think Brock is dedicated enough to this to advance his game that quickly. Herring is no step down from Frank Mir, and I don't think Lesnar stands a chance unless he catches the Texas Crazy Horse with some really big shots before Herring can do anything.

See I'm the opposite, I don't think Herring stands a chance (Herring being one of my favourite fighters no doubt) unless he catches Lesnar with some big shots before he does anything. Because if Herring doesn't get a punch in early, Lesnar's going to charge him in and take him down with that force and wrestling background, and then Lesnar is going to take him to the ground and land some shots. Regardless of what Herring does, Lesnar is going to break through and get some punches down.

And having seen some of the training sessions Lesnar does. I think he's dedicated enough to take his game forward for this fight with Herring. I think he wants to be the best in the UFC, this is a great chance to prove himself as a legitimate fighter and hopefully shake off those fake wrestling achievements he's remembered for, and let people remember that he's a phenomenally talented athlete, extremely well versed in wrestling.

Personally I'd say he's good enough, and I think we'll see a similar, but better performance against Herring as we did against Mir.

EDIT: Florian/Huerta is a bit difficult. I've said Florian, mainly because 5 of Huerta's last 6 opponents have been cherry picked for him - but his last fight he won was against Clay Guida which isn't an easy match by any stretch of the imagination. Personally I'd stay away from this fight, and betting on the UFC altogether as I honestly don't think you can get good enough odds to win anything decent in a sport as unpredictable as this one. But it was me, I would definitely be taking Florian.

Then again I would be taking Lesnar too so <_<

Edited by IAceI