(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Saxon are really awesome.

Been listening to "Into the Labyrinth" quite a lot lately, and even went through all my old Saxon CDs.

This is how I'd rank their albums:

1. Unleash the Beast

2. Lionheart

3. The Inner Sanctum

4. Strong Arm of the Law

5. Wheels of Steel

6. Into the Labyrinth

7. Denim and Leather

8. Metalhead

9. Dogs of War

10. Forever Free

11. Killing Ground

12. Crusader

13. Power and the Glory

---

I don't have the others.

I do have the Heavy Metal Thunder re-recorded compilation double disc they released a few years back though. And one other 'Best of'.

Incidentally you could just make the list a real mans list and have some Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower, Death, Cryptopsy, Wormed and Immortal tracks on there. <_< But what is the low-brow to Finntroll? They are fucking great, I enjoy them both over Ensiferum and Korpiklaani, perhaps even Turisas. And especially Tyr. Cannot say anything for Wintersun, never listened to them. I haven't listened to any Folk metal in ages though, been caught on all kinds of Death metal for ages now.

Death 'Symbolic' should be a must have for anyone. Honestly. That album is awesome.

Scream Bloody Gore > the rest.

The first official sign-ups for this year's Tuska and Nummirock will start dropping later this week, getting pretty hyped to see what headliners there will be this year. Quietly hoping for Napalm Death (also The Monolith Deathcult somewhere there, two prophetic dreams can't be wrong!)

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THOSE BAND NAMES!

Finntroll is a favourite.

Tyr is the Norse God of single combat and victory.

Finntroll is... obvious.

Eluveitie is some old Celtic tribal inscription or other, can't remember the details.

Turisas is a sea monster in Finnish mythology who may or may not have also been a god of war (said god might in fact have been Tyr).

Korpiklaani means 'forest clan'.

A sabaton is piece of armour that covers your foot.

Amon Amarth is the Elven name for Mount Doom in The Lord of the Rings.

Ensiferum is Latin for sword bearer.

Besides, you can't talk. You like bands called 'Animal Collective', 'Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly' and 'This Bike Is Like A Pipe Bomb'. :P

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THOSE BAND NAMES!

Finntroll is a favourite.

Tyr is the Norse God of single combat and victory.

Finntroll is... obvious.

Eluveitie is some old Celtic tribal inscription or other, can't remember the details.

Turisas is a sea monster in Finnish mythology who may or may not have also been a god of war (said god might in fact have been Tyr).

Korpiklaani means 'forest clan'.

Amon Amarth is the Elven name for Mount Doom in The Lord of the Rings.

Ensiferum is Latin for sword bearer.

Besides, you can't talk. You like bands called 'Animal Collective', 'Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly' and 'This Bike Is Like A Pipe Bomb'. :P

To be fair, at least I understand the names of YI's bands. Not that I'm knocking these bands, as I'd rather listen to death metal than indie music, but yeah, indie [barely] wins in the name department.

To be fair, at least I understand the names of YI's bands. Not that I'm knocking these bands, as I'd rather listen to death metal than indie music, but yeah, indie [barely] wins in the name department.

To be fair, Yi's bands aren't from Scandinavia or singing about mythology and/or fantasy. :shifty: They make perfect sense in context, just like Yi's (the context being 'random', 'trendy', indie bands). Not knocking it, just saying...

Of all the pieces of armour to choose, they choose one that covers your foot? Pathetic.

If your naming yourself after armour(why would you do that?) Cuirass should be your component of choice. Breastplate if you will. :P

Because Sabaton at least sounds cool (and it probably fucking hurts if you kick someone with one on, as it ends in, essentially, a massive fuck-off spike). I can't see BREASTPLATE~! on the Bloodstock lineup any time soon. :P Cuirass sounds alright, but is even easier to take the piss out of as it sounds like queer ass. :shifty:

Greave would be a cool name for a melodeath band I guess, because it sounds like grieve, obviously. If I get skillz and form a band, I'm definately calling it Haubergeon. :shifty:

Edited by Farmer Reil

To be fair, Yi's bands aren't from Scandinavia or singing about mythology and/or fantasy. :shifty: They make perfect sense in context, just like Yi's (the context being 'random', 'trendy', indie bands). Not knocking it, just saying...

Of all the pieces of armour to choose, they choose one that covers your foot? Pathetic.

If your naming yourself after armour(why would you do that?) Cuirass should be your component of choice. Breastplate if you will. :P

Because Sabaton at least sounds cool (and it probably fucking hurts if you kick someone with one on, as it ends in, essentially, a massive fuck-off spike). I can't see BREASTPLATE~! on the Bloodstock lineup any time soon. :P Cuirass sounds alright, but is even easier to take the piss out of as it sounds like queer ass. :shifty:

Greave would be a cool name for a melodeath band I guess, because it sounds like grieve, obviously. If I get skillz and form a band, I'm definately calling it Haubergeon. :shifty:

Oh come now, clearly you should call the band something like Captain Spangenhelm and The Schynbalds. :D

And indie band names generally irritate me. If your name requires a 'The' then you've not tried hard enough to think of a cool enough name, >_>

In a totally different tangent... do any of you guys like any prog metal bands? I like all sorts of prog (from Dream Theater through to prog-death bands like Between The Buried and Me). Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

Tornado...most fabulous 'prog' band...actually most fabulous band ever formed. :shifty:

And Reilly, metal band names are amazing. From the random over the top GRRRRR ANGRY names to the weird and wonderful world of fantasy fiction style names...they're epically hilarious, you can't help but love them...I mean, FINNTROLL!!!

I have no right of calling out people on band names, let me remind you, my favourite musical genre is punk-rock, home of so many cringeworthy names it's impossible to list them all...Strung Out!?!?!?! I remember giving up trying to get people to listen to them years ago, because it pained me to actually hear the name said aloud.

Prog metal is basically shameless guitar wankery, right? Like... classical metal, type of thing? Dream Theatre, early Dragonforce, Symphony X, Malmsteen, Adagio, After Forever (RIP :(), Ayreon, Aina. That kind of thing, right? This reminds me, I fucking hope Floor Jansen finds a new band, like, yesterday. I need her gyrating in front of me while I'm in the front row again really soon. :shifty:

Kiuas are quite proggy, but they're a mish-mash of the awesomest genres. Hey, here's a topic for discussion... name bands that are like Kiuas.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Prog metal is basically shameless guitar wankery, right? Like... classical metal, type of thing? Dream Theatre, early Dragonforce, Symphony X, Malmsteen, Adagio, After Forever (RIP :(), Ayreon, Aina. That kind of thing, right? This reminds me, I fucking hope Floor Jansen finds a new band, like, yesterday. I need her gyrating in front of me while I'm in the front row again really soon. :shifty:

Kiuas are quite proggy, but they're a mish-mash of the awesomest genres. Hey, here's a topic for discussion... name bands that are like Kiuas.

I wouldn't call Dragonforce prog really, at all. Pretentious yes, prog... not really.

Are you thinking of Dissident Aggressor? 'cause that's a Priest song originally, but because it was covered on South of Heaven, probably Slayer's best known album (probably second to Reign In Blood to most people although it was more commercially successful), and the original was on Sin After Sin (only Priest's third album), people tend to assume it's Slayer's song. Especially as Metal Masters was one of the first times Priest have ever performed it live.

Edited by Farmer Reil

In a totally different tangent... do any of you guys like any prog metal bands? I like all sorts of prog (from Dream Theater through to prog-death bands like Between The Buried and Me). Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

I personally dig quite a lot (read: almost all) of the instrumental metal (or otherwise) music I can find, and I bet at least some of those bands could be called prog one way or another. The first names that pop to mind are Canvas Solaris and Don Caballero, the first featuring some awesome riffwork that would sound EVEN MORE awesome in a technical death metal band with drop D tuning, and the latter just being over-the-top musical talent wankery par excellence. The drummer especially is someone to listen out for, he is hypnotic.

Otherwise, dunno how familiar you are with them but the whole post-sludge/post-metal/atmospheric metal (fucking christ I can usually stand the labeling clusterfucks of metal but this particular style seems to attract the worst of the worst) crowd could fit in parts. Callisto, Russian Circles, Pelican, Cult Of Luna, Intronaut etc. might be worth to check your Last.FM/Youtube accounts for, at least.