(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

I'm not that much into progressive music as I used to be, but I still like some. Especially 80's Queensrÿche, as they are somewhat straight forward and at least their songs make sense. The Warning and Operation Mindcrime are my favourite from them.

I also have a few of Dream Theater CDs (four), but I've pretty much grown off of them and I don't listen to them a lot. I guess Images and Words is my favourite off of what I have.

I also have Lana Lane's Secrets of Astrology. It's not bad, actually has some very good songs on it. The thing I don't like that much about Lana Lane is her voice. But everything else is pretty much ace.

I also have Fates Warning's Parallels. It's quite a lot like Operation Mindcrime, but not as awesome. Still a good listen and not as proggy and pretentious as a lot of their other material. A very infectious album.

Let me see, what else counts - I have a lot of albums by power/prog bands like Vanishing Point and Stratovarius, but I guess that's a totally different thing, as bands like that actually tend to write good, sensible songs and not just cut and paste random passages to make a ten minute track and call it a 'song'.

Anyway, prog metal - I guess King's X counts. They are actually very good. A somewhat unique, stoner sound. Just sometimes difficult to get through a whole album in one listen. 'Please Come Home... Mr Bulbous" is my favourite.

Since I mentioned them earlier in the thread, I've been getting into Adagio again. Although finding their stuff is quite difficult due to their name (as if being named after a musical notation wasn't bad enough, there's a Hungarian vocal trio by the same name (and they're actually quite awesome)).

A

= glorious.

They've covered Immigrant Song on one of their albums too, but I don't have that album and it's not on Youtube :'(

Wait... post-metal? How does that even make sense?

Edited by Farmer Reil

Since I mentioned them earlier in the thread, I've been getting into Adagio again. Although finding their stuff is quite difficult due to their name (as if being named after a musical notation wasn't bad enough, there's a Hungarian vocal trio by the same name (and they're actually quite awesome)).

A

= glorious.

They've covered Immigrant Song on one of their albums too, but I don't have that album and it's not on Youtube :'(

Wait... post-metal? How does that even make sense?

I have Sanctus Ignis by Adagio. Not listened to it yet but I'll let you know what I think.

Random other musings... after generally disliking them for years I have suddenly started liking Trivium. I don't know why, or whatever. I mean, they were average when supporting Maiden and I've never been that sold on them but... eh. Basically, with Zavvi going tits up I got 'The Crusade' for a fiver on the strength of 'Anthem (We Are The Fire)'. I'm halfway through the album and quite like it so far.

From the little I've heard/seen of GWAR, I'm not that impressed. Lordi seem easily better.

I hate how Lordi is getting casted as a Gwar rip-off. Personally I like them better.

To be fair though, Gwar popularized the style that Lordi has employed. Lordi is much more mainstream accessible, so they'll be a more successful band, but whether they want to admit it or not, not only was Gwar around first, but it's blatantly obvious that Gwar is an inspiration on Lordi, even if it was just simply that Mr Lordi saw Gwar somewhere and thought "That's cool. I should do that."

I'm a fan of both bands, but Lordi is considered by many to be a rip-off of the Gwar concept for good reason. It's not some illogical though process of bitter Gwar fans.

Gwar has their audience, and they play to them well and are happy with that. Lordi is a much more straight forward rock and roll sound, and they seem intent on dressing up as monsters, but playing the good guy rockstar role and trying to become as big as they can.

To each their own...but I much prefer my monsters to demand that we sacrifice ourselves, continually tell us that we're worthless, and cover us in their demon seed during performances. I don't want to see them shaking hands with politicians.

Fair enough.

Oh, I've been randomly looking up Japanese metal bands. Any of you guys heard much sutff by the Sex Machineguns? They seem pretty decent. Kind of a speedy metally sound - with silly videos.

I hate how Lordi is getting casted as a Gwar rip-off. Personally I like them better.

To be fair though, Gwar popularized the style that Lordi has employed. Lordi is much more mainstream accessible, so they'll be a more successful band, but whether they want to admit it or not, not only was Gwar around first, but it's blatantly obvious that Gwar is an inspiration on Lordi, even if it was just simply that Mr Lordi saw Gwar somewhere and thought "That's cool. I should do that."

I'm a fan of both bands, but Lordi is considered by many to be a rip-off of the Gwar concept for good reason. It's not some illogical though process of bitter Gwar fans.

Gwar has their audience, and they play to them well and are happy with that. Lordi is a much more straight forward rock and roll sound, and they seem intent on dressing up as monsters, but playing the good guy rockstar role and trying to become as big as they can.

To each their own...but I much prefer my monsters to demand that we sacrifice ourselves, continually tell us that we're worthless, and cover us in their demon seed during performances. I don't want to see them shaking hands with politicians.

So what you're basically saying is, it's fine to rip off other bands, but don't you DARE try and be successful and make a living. This is nothing more than your basic 'influenced by vs. rip-off of' argument. If someone has a good idea in the music industry, it will be copied, that's the way it goes. If Lordi have decided to go mainstream with it and become successful, all the more power to them. It's not as if Gwar tried that and failed; they didn't want to go that route. Fair enough, but they can't bitch and moan just because someone else did (and I'm aware that it's not them bitching and moaning, it's their fans, but again... music industry... that happens too).

Besides which, the Village People did it way before Gwar. :shifty:

Edited by Farmer Reil

I never said anything like that. I said that I was a fan of both bands. I enjoy Lordi immensely.

The point I'm trying to get across is, they saw an idea they liked, and they ran with it... but whenever it's brought up, they deny it vehemently, despite how blindingly obvious it is.

Oderus takes shots at Lordi sometimes in interviews or during concerts, but like everything else Gwar does, it's done tongue-in-cheek. I don't think there's any legitimate resentment or anger on Gwar's part. Like you said, they never wanted to be a Top 40 type of band, because that's just not what Gwar is about.

I just think that a little bit of recognition on Lordi's part would be nice. Their fans see people comparing them to Gwar all of the time and think poorly of Gwar because of it. They think that the band is trying to ride the coat-tails of a more successful act, and that's just not the case. It would be nice to see Lordi recognize Gwar's influence on them, if only so that I don't have to read people bad mouthing the Scumdogs because they just don't know any better.

but whenever it's brought up, they deny it vehemently, despite how blindingly obvious it is.

Ah, see, you never mentioned that bit before. That changes things slightly... if they can't acknowledge Gwar even when asked straight-up, then that's just poor on Lordi's part.

Also, if Ultramantis Black became a death metal vocalist, he'd be the guy from Gwar.

Also also, I always thought it was GWAR, rather than Gwar?

I think it's just something that I picked up from wrestling... but in puro, heels sometimes capitalize their names, like NOSAWA... but I've always just written it as Nosawa.

I'm not sure why I do it... but I'm pretty sure that's why I always write GWAR as Gwar.

Hey guys,

I love Rock and Metal, etc. But I don't really have a huge collection. All I have is three "Disturbed" albums, Death Magnetic by Metallica, and No World For Tommorow from Coheed & Cambria.

Can anyone recommend some other bands I should check out?

What other bands do you like (but don't necessarily have stuff of)?

Anyways:

Megadeth and Iron Maiden would be at the top of the list going off that.

I'd also recommend looking at:

Dragonforce

Pantera

KoRn

Dream Theater

Machine Head

for a diverse range of material, then take it from there when you decide what you like out of them. :)