Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted, Eduardo's injury was horrific, and I hope he recovers as soon as possible, but where does Wenger get off in saying Taylor should be banned from football? It was obviously just a mis-timed tackle, with no intent, and Taylor looked distraught about the whole thing.

Didn't hear anything from Wenger last week when Eboue and Flamini were deliberately trying to hurt people did you.

Maybe he shouldn't be banned from football, but that was a horrendous tackle where Taylor was nowhere near the ball and dangerously high. That should be at least a 10-game ban...minimum. People are talking about cutting out these horror tackles for this very reason and now you've got a player who's lively-hood may very well have just been ended. Eduardo may never play football again, so if you put in that context, maybe he should be. I don't agree that he should be kicked out of football, but it deserves a very, very long ban.

On the subject of post-match comments, I have lost any respect I may have had for Alex McCleish. He's defender Martin Taylor because Taylor has said he "felt he didn't make much contact" and McCleish then said Eduardo "may have caught his studs in the ground". Sorry, fuck off. Eduardo's shin bone being disconnected from his foot says Taylor did that, not the pitch.

Granted, Eduardo's injury was horrific, and I hope he recovers as soon as possible, but where does Wenger get off in saying Taylor should be banned from football? It was obviously just a mis-timed tackle, with no intent, and Taylor looked distraught about the whole thing.

Didn't hear anything from Wenger last week when Eboue and Flamini were deliberately trying to hurt people did you.

Maybe he shouldn't be banned from football, but that was a horrendous tackle where Taylor was nowhere near the ball and dangerously high. That should be at least a 10-game ban...minimum. People are talking about cutting out these horror tackles for this very reason and now you've got a player who's lively-hood may very well have just been ended. Eduardo may never play football again, so if you put in that context, maybe he should be. I don't agree that he should be kicked out of football, but it deserves a very, very long ban.

It wasn't that bad, there have been plenty of tackles that season that have been much worse but just haven't injured a player to that extent. It's a red card, that's it.

It was high and nowhere near the ball, intent or none, it's broken a players leg and may end his career. For those simple facts it should be a lengthy bad. It puts a career-threatening tackle on the same term as a petulant kick, which it isn't.

Taylor should be banned any longer than normal why?

It wasn't an exceptionaly horrendous tackle, not when you consider some of what we've seen lately. The only difference is the injury to Eduardo. Let's face it, any one of a number of recent incidents could've caused similar injury.

I'll be very disappointed if they make Taylor a scapegoat in an effort to somehow "crack down" on these types of challenges.

It wasn't that bad, there have been plenty of tackles that season that have been much worse but just haven't injured a player to that extent. It's a red card, that's it.

Wenger - My comments on Taylor were 'excessive'

By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger admits his made some "excessive" comments about Martin Taylor following Saturday's game.

Passions were running high during the Arsenal manager's post-match press conference after a game in which Eduardo sustained a broken leg from the Birmingham defender's challenge and the visitors left three points slip in the final seconds due to a debatable penalty.

Wenger was strident in his view on Taylor's tackle but later he re-assessed his own viewpoint.

“It was a highly emotional afternoon and we were all shocked by the injury to Eduardo," he said. "On reflection, I feel that my comments about Martin Taylor were excessive. I said what I did immediately after the game, in the heat of the moment.”

It seemed out of character for Wenger to say that, I had a feeling it was in the heat of the moment but obviously everyone jumped to the conclusion and had a go at Wenger.

You have to wonder if Wenger has been politely advised to retract his statement or wether he did it on his own accord. I think today will be the start of the wheels coming off Arsenal's title challenge, Man Utd have so much strength in depth and so many more potential match winners than Arsenal. And with Terry and Lampard coming back for Chelsea they are only going to get stronger aswell.

Wenger is a very thoughful person, someone might have told him about how it sounds, but he would know it wasn't the right thing to say and I can be pretty sure he retracted the comments of his own accord.

I still think we'll win the league. Van Persie should be back soon, and when he is we have two of the best strikers in the Premiership/world, and I think the Eduardo injury and the cock-up against Birmingham will only serve to spur us on for the rest of the season. Man Utd might have strength in depth, but best eleven's, ours is by far the best. I honestly think we have the best central midfield partnership in the world and the amount of goals they create for us (directly or indirectly) is silly.

Wenger is a very thoughful person, someone might have told him about how it sounds, but he would know it wasn't the right thing to say and I can be pretty sure he retracted the comments of his own accord.

I still think we'll win the league. Van Persie should be back soon, and when he is we have two of the best strikers in the Premiership/world, and I think the Eduardo injury and the cock-up against Birmingham will only serve to spur us on for the rest of the season. Man Utd might have strength in depth, but best eleven's, ours is by far the best. I honestly think we have the best central midfield partnership in the world and the amount of goals they create for us (directly or indirectly) is silly.