THE RESULTS: EWB's 100 Favourite Bands

YI

Oh noes "elitism"!

If you don't think that you personally have the most joyously good music taste in the world then you need to listen to more bands until you do.

I know loads of people hate the music I listen to but you know what, I hate a load of music on this list too. So what. I think I'm right and you lot are wrong. It's opinion. Factually I may well be wrong (probably am) but with something so unquantifiable as music then it's all down to tastes. Yes some bands may have more number ones than others but that doesn't neccesarily make them better or worse. Yes some groups are more critically acclaimed but that's still a (largely agreed on) opinion.

The vast nature of musical opinion is brilliant and it's why we can easily pull up well over 100 bands for a list and not all name the same top ten.

I say be elitist whatever the hell that's meant to mean in this discussion. If you like 17th century chamber music or Iranian folk music then good on ya. If you like whatever band NME are about to "discover" next month then kudos. If you list the "obvious" Beatles, Stones, Elvis etc in your top ten then applause for you. If your groups have never been in the top forty in their life and only play intimate gigs to fifty "in the know" people down the local pub then that's all well and good.

Anyway it's late and I fancied a rant.

Blur > Oasis. So there. Nyah nyah nyah nyahnyahnyah.

Oh and I saw Muse as a supporting act and started following them in '99 you glory hunters :P:P:P:P

And I like "intelligent dance music".

And I like groups that sing in foreign languages.

I hate "emo" and "screamo" music.

De La Soul are the best rap group that ever lived.

Waheeeeey opinions. Elitissssm.

• Like 1

I say be elitist whatever the hell that's meant to mean in this discussion. If you like 17th century chamber music or Iranian folk music then good on ya. If you like whatever band NME are about to "discover" next month then kudos. If you list the "obvious" Beatles, Stones, Elvis etc in your top ten then applause for you. If your groups have never been in the top forty in their life and only play intimate gigs to fifty "in the know" people down the local pub then that's all well and good.

The problem more comes from the 'everything in this is shit, what the fuck are you guys on?' kinda comments that sometimes fly about. How did some bands get into this.....why, because some people like them :shifty:

I actually agree with Fitzy on this one. I love Skummy, but all this elitist bullshit is a little annoying. Why are certain bands on this list? The answer is simple - because people like them. More of your favourite bands would be on, GoGo, if people had actually heard of them.

Wait, you're not actually naive enough to think they are asking an actual question, are you? People say "how did they get there" all the time, it's just used for emphasis. I don't honestly think GoGo or Skummy are so retarded that they don't understand that someone voted for band x. Lighten up people :\

And I like "intelligent dance music".

And I like groups that sing in foreign languages.

You should love the crap out of Freezepop (assuming you didn't list them. Too lazy to check).

Oh man, I got to see them live a couple of months ago at the Penny Arcade Expo and they were incredibly fun. I'm considering buying one of their records, actually; any suggestions?

evanescence_2_500.jpg

-40-. EVANESCENCE (60pt: 10-5-5)

audioslave-20061103050421496.jpg

-39-. AUDIOSLAVE (63pt: 9-7-5)

tool_band_promo06_281x211.jpg

-38-. TOOL (68pt: 8-3-3-3)

megadeth.jpg

-37-. MEGADETH (72pt: 10-7-7)

The.Killers.jpg

-36-. THE KILLERS (80pt: 7-5-4-4)

...who the fuck came up with the 'look' of everyone growing shit beards? It didn't just 'happen', it's obviously been a concious, full band decision. "Right lads...our new record's a bit weak. But I've got an idea to boost sales. We'll grow beards".