THE RESULTS: EWB's 100 Favourite Bands

YI

This is definitely the most obscure list so far. I've heard of most of these bands, but I would have never expected to see many of them on a Top 100 list. At the very least, this one is the most interesting so far. I cannot believe Protest the Hero made it though, that's pretty rad.

I care less and less about Pearl Jam, and "grunge" in general, as time goes on. Some of their early stuff is good on a night out, hearing something like "Alive" or "Evenflow" at a rock night is fun, and I like the more experimental side of "Vitalogy", but I wish they'd stuck down that path rather than spending every album since trying to relive 1996. Don't care for that.

The Exies are dire. Just nothing remarkable about them at all. The only thing that makes me even remember who they are is that they managed to make an interesting Talking Heads song dreadful, removing everything that made it interesting in the process.

No idea who Plus 44 are, never heard them, doubt I'd want to.

Breaking Benjamin are horrible.

Never got in to Justin Timberlake, but I can see how he's a damn good pop artist, I'd probably like him more if he didn't go down the Timbaland hip hop route quite so often, though.

Probably my least favourite selection so far.

No idea who Plus 44 are, never heard them, doubt I'd want to.

It's the band featuring the two least terrible members of Blink 182. By which I mean Not Tom DeLonge I and Not Tom DeLonge II.

I was only involved in one of these in the past, and all I remember was Mad Capsule Markets made the cut, and the top three were Zeppelin, Radiohead and the Beatles; so I have no problem with it at all. This time around is just vile so far, with only about fifteen bands I can bare and only about five I'd put in a top 200, let alone 100!

The problem is that the voting seems to be based on what people are liking at that moment in time, and not what their favourite bands ever are. It's like this is a top 100 for the first week of October (or whenever the voting was), when really the voters should really spend some time thinking as to who their favourite acts are.

It's like, take me for example. Right now I'm listening to a lot of The Format, a lot of Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly and a lot of Stereophonics, yet I wouldn't dream of voting them as my top 10 favourite bands. They're just what I like listening to right now, and it seems that the members here seem to get confused as to voting for who they like at that moment in time and who they maybe should be voting for.

I'm not having a go or nowt, because I know it would be influenced by what's happening at that moment at time, who's got a new album out (and therefore who you're listening to the back catalogue of) and stuff like that. It's like, I imagine bands like Rage Against the Machine, Nine Inch Nails and Smashing Pumpkins are probably going to be quite high in this list, or at least they'll place in the list, whereas two/three years ago when all of them were inactive, they'd probably be a lot lower in the list.

It's a tough one to judge, but the voting really is soooooo spur of the moment.

See, I agree with this.

My top ten bands EVAH changes a little over time but I'd expect the same five to be there forever and another few to always be top 20.

The bands I'm enjoying MOST at any one time changes massively but I refuse to put them into lists like this. Same as movies really - just cos I really really enjoyed a movie this year doesn't automatically push it into my top ten.

Well, the way I personally did my list actually WAS a bit less of an "all time" thing and more the ten musical artists I have enjoyed the most since the last time this countdown happened, or in other words what I've been listening to for the past year. Like, I'm almost interested in going and finding my list from last year and seeing who, other than The Beatles and The Pillows, are still around.

But then, at least for me, there's a disconnect between "best" and "favorite." Like, if I had gone with BEST Miles Davis would have had a spot in the top ten, but love him though I do I didn't especially go out of my way to listen to his stuff a lot when I wasn't feeling tired and needing something low-key to relax to. Which isn't to say that much of the artists here aren't ones I'd put in my all-time favorites (The Beatles, The Pillows, the Velvet Underground, Blur, Buddy Holly, and possibly XTC all have spots for sure), but rather that I don't particularly see it as being a best of all-time list either.

+44 and JT are both wicked, and make music fun.

And yes, we get it - you guys (yanno who you are) are elitist, and damnit, your musical taste is just miles better than mine and everyone elses - really, it is - just shut the fuck up with the pointless "Oh, they're shit." "On a top 100? No freakin' way." Because they're obviously not that shit - and my gosh yes.. they ARE on a top 100 list, and people DID vote for those bands in their top 10. It's a travesty, I know.

Well, the way I personally did my list actually WAS a bit less of an "all time" thing and more the ten musical artists I have enjoyed the most since the last time this countdown happened, or in other words what I've been listening to for the past year. Like, I'm almost interested in going and finding my list from last year and seeing who, other than The Beatles and The Pillows, are still around.

Of course. I disagree with Ollie, I mean, we do this every year or so, yeah? What would be the point if we were just to count the very best bands of all time? We'd be stuck with Led Zep, Beatles etc all in the top ten and that'd be that. I thought the whole point of doing it so often was less a top 100 of all time and more a top 100 of 200x, so it makes sense that most of the bands are the flavours of the month.

And yes, we get it - you guys (yanno who you are) are elitist, and damnit, your musical taste is just miles better than mine and everyone elses - really, it is - just shut the fuck up with the pointless "Oh, they're shit." "On a top 100? No freakin' way." Because they're obviously not that shit - and my gosh yes.. they ARE on a top 100 list, and people DID vote for those bands in their top 10. It's a travesty, I know.

Thats really kinda stupid, Summers. If people weren't allowed to post their distaste then we'd have stopped after the first one got closed. And lets be honest. No one really likes Linkin Park, do they? :shifty: