The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Not bothered me cos I've just been playing Mass Effect 2.....Which was going wonderfully until it turned into a STUPID frogger-esque platform game in the stupid hovercraft thing on the stupid planet with the stupid evil computer AI and the stupid lava rivers you need to jump across.

I'm sure those who picked up Socom, MK or Portal are a little bummed about the timing. MK and Portal are two rare instances where the PS3 versions are outselling their Xbox counterparts.

That's exactly what makes this such a fuck up for Sony. With Protal 2's co-op, the free aspect of PSN I'm sure made a lot of people choose the PS3 version. The trust is broken now and that can be irrepairable to some.

The outage isn't bothering me that much, I guess I'm a little pissed my friends and I can't play clubs on FIFA but that's about it. I'm not a big fan of Black-Ops which is the main culprit of the withdrawl systems.

That's exactly what makes this such a fuck up for Sony. With Protal 2's co-op, the free aspect of PSN I'm sure made a lot of people choose the PS3 version. The trust is broken now and that can be irrepairable to some.

And XBL went down a few years back at Christmas, and you have to pay for that. I just have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone when a free service experiences a hiccup for a whopping 5 days so far. If anyone actually feels their trust was broken by a faceless, soulless media conglomerate, then my only response is an eye roll. The ApocalyPS3 was far worse than this.

And XBL went down a few years back at Christmas, and you have to pay for that. I just have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone when a free service experiences a hiccup for a whopping 5 days so far. If anyone actually feels their trust was broken by a faceless, soulless media conglomerate, then my only response is an eye roll. The ApocalyPS3 was far worse than this.

When the XBL went down....wasn't everyone given a free arcade game?

I believe so, they had to do something though because the service was spotty for weeks and it costs money. I assume Sony will make some kind of PR move to make up for this, but even if you're a PS Plus member, you're out less than $1 so far with this outage.

The thing last February was much worse alright. I couldn't play any games, online or offline, Heavy Rain had just come out and I lost all my trophies I had earned playing Heavy Rain up to that time as I was doing so offline. At least now I can still play offline.

I will say this though, Sony isn't doing themselves any favors with this. Every four hours on Twitter, I see from @Playstation: "PSN Update: link" and then when you click the link, the story is literally "I wish we could tell you more at this time, but the PSN is still down." That's not a fucking update! I think somehow, we all figured that part out. An update would be something like "Should be back up Friday" or "We'll have more news available tomorrow." "Update: There is no update" is not an update.

^ Yeah, in a way this is a blessing in disguise. Playing online with people kinda overtook my desire to go through my backlog, but without online working, I've been able to finish Black Ops on veteran (something I thought I'd never do), as well as finishing the offline portion of NFS: Undercover. I'm about to finish up RDR and then who knows? Maybe I'll find myself playing FF13 again, but that's a big maybe... -_-

It's clearly just Glados getting her revenge in a brilliant marketing ploy.

In seriousness, I hadn't touched my PS3 in three weeks, so it hasn't affected me. Even now I'm playing Uncharted(s) for the first time which I'm borrowing from a friend, so I don't need PSN for that. Granted it's not the best news in the world, but god damn it, go outside. The weather is NEVER this good for a whole month in April. The game will still be waiting. That's the point of games, you can play any time. As someone mentioned, it's probably just people who are already too addicted COD anyway who are feeling most effected by it being down.

And again I agree that the ApocalyPS3 was much worse, that was SONY'S fault, SONY'S error. Granted their updates aren't too helpful. I'm assuming the hackers were the cause this time, so I'm assuming it's some jumped up shits who care too much and have too much time on their hands, so don't blame Sony for everything. I'd rather them take it down until it's fully fixed instead of leaving it up at risk for further damage.

In other news, me and my friend played Portal 2 over his offline. It's wonderful and yet a mindfuck. I'd never played Portal before so I my mind wasn't in the same Portal mindset as my friend was.

Edited by TheModernWay

I'd always wanted Forza to be a PS3 game, and I've got my wish - except it goes under the name of NFS: Shift 2.

It plays and looks almost exactly the same, though I'd probably say that Forza 3 looks slightly better when using the full-car view, but it's to be expected considering NFS is focused more on the in-car experience this time around.

I'll play it quite a bit, no doubt, but yeah, even the track radar is exactly the same as Forza 3.

And again I agree that the ApocalyPS3 was much worse, that was SONY'S fault, SONY'S error. Granted their updates aren't too helpful. I'm assuming the hackers were the cause this time...

There is a new newspost in the blog that prittymuch sais it was an atack.

It was down for like 3 days, and wasn't due to massive security concerns and people essentially being able to rob the marketplace at will. I don't know about anyone else, but I've found XBL to be a far more reliable online service and well worth what equates to about a pint a month.

I have never used XBL (i don´t even think i ever played xbox at all) but i know a lot of people that i don´t consider fanboys that say it´s the better servic. But i also feel sony could have don a lot better with PSN without having to do much that would make it more expensive for them.

Our Credit Card Data is saved on the PS3 and not in PSN, is it?

Finaly an e-mail is going out to everybody.

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer,

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity passwords and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please check www.eu.playstation.com/psnoutage should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment Teams

Sony Network Entertainment Europe Limited (formerly known as PlayStation Network Europe Limited) is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited the data controller for PlayStation Network/Qriocity personal data.

Looks like a worsed case. Thank you Sony.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane