The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

I'm not entirely sure when this is being released, but anyway...

PS3 (v2.50) update

Now on to the PS3 v2.50 update. The latest features/enhancements include:

* Support for the PS3 Official Bluetooth Headset - we’ve told you about the upcoming Bluetooth Headset and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Bundle on the Blog. This latest firmware installment enables High-Quality (HQ) mode, which delivers clear and wide-band online voice chat. On top of that, an added on-screen indicator shows battery status, volume level and use of HQ mode.

* PlayStation Trophies interface enhancements - I know that many of you are busy collecting trophies and raising your PlayStation Trophy level. This update makes sharing and comparing your trophies with your friends even easier. On 1st part of the profile page you’ll see a symbol under level that represents level and the actual percentage towards the next level along with the existing level meter. The level symbol carries over to the trophy comparison screen where you will now be able to see your level, your friend’s level and the percentage towards the next level for both users along with all of the game by game comparison information you see today.

* Friend status – Offline friends on your Friends list will have information below their avatars that will indicate how long it has been since they were last online.

* Video – This update adds the Scene Search feature similar to the feature on the PSP. Activating this feature while viewing a video on the PS3 will break the video up into scenes that you can quickly access by pressing the X button. You can break the videos into one, two or five minute intervals. In addition, you can now choose to have all of the videos under the video section of the XMB play in sequence. Go to Settings then Video Settings to turn this option on.

* PlayStation Store – We’ve added a redeem codes option right on the store to make it easier to redeem your PlayStation Network Cards and promotion codes. In addition, PlayStation Network Sign Up and Account Management have been redesigned.

* Power Save Settings – You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity. Go to Settings then Power Save Settings to turn on these features.

* Background Downloading - You now have the option to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system from the button under [users] while content is being downloaded or installed.

* In-game Screenshots - this tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments. This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature.

I really hope games like Burnout, GTA, Fifa and PES 09 will support the screenshot feature.

Power save settings is something that the PS3 should've had at launch and it oughta be near criminal that it's just now going in, but I'm glad to see it. Friends status is welcome as well. In-game screenshots sound cool.

For what it's worth, the popular guess is that that update will be out sometime this week because the official bluetooth headset is out this week.

I asked this in another thread but it'll probably have a better chance of getting answered here;

I'll be exchanging by broken PS3 for a new one tomorrow. Will I be prompted to download each and every update since the build of the PS3 I'm given (likely to be the 80GB), or will it just be the latest update I'm directed to download in system updates?

My thinking is that if it misses updates, I won't be able to use the XMB Bar/PM's in-game unless I can somehow find and download it.

In DLC news, it looks like Marvel vs. Capcom 2 will be hitting the PS Store and XBLA. Or so reports PS3Fanboy.

This is wonderful, WONDERFUL news because copies of the game for the PS2/Xbox go for upwards of $200 on eBay these days. Man, that's gonna suck for those sellers.

Network's down for maintenance right now, but hey, 2.50 comes out tomorrow! it was confirmed. It'll also introduce Flash 9 support for the PS3 browser.

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced a really slow download time for this update? I mean it's usually damn slow anyway, but this is taking the piss.

Or maybe it's because I've got a lot going on with the internet connection or something...Meh. <_<

Edited by The King Of Awesomeness

Oh wow. I started mine and then a storm rolled over and I was like "Hurry the fuck up" and it took forever, but not 4 hours.

Also, in the middle of the install, the power went out, and I shat myself. Luckily all was well.

If it's taking you over an hour to 4 hours to download the update from your PS3, then why don't you download the update from the PS3 website and upload onto your PS3 with a thumbdrive? Normally it'd take about an hour if I use my PS3, but it only takes 12 minutes when I download off of their website.