The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

There was also speculation that they'd move away from Directs and I think their issue is, essentially, that they announce too much stuff in some of the bigger ones and then there's little else to trickle out through the year which puts people in a tizzy. Doing smaller more focused stuff is something I think they're trying to ease people into, but the people crying about Nintendo not putting anything out either have entirely forgotten about the Wii U era or they're deluding themselves.

I think that's true. The Switch has been churning out quality first-party titles at such a rate that we've been a little spoilt. Pretty much every year was like this one for the Wii U, and the last couple of years before the Switch's release were more barren than they've ever been before or since.

The whole "One more thing..." announcements they've previously done during Directs has also conditioned fans to hold unrealistic expectations. Every show that doesn't have a big, unexpected final reveal gets criticised now.

It sucks that there's this thing where the fans overhype on everything, but then Nintendo just kind of soldiers on and doesn't do much to temper those reactions. They shouldn't really have to, but I have a feeling some companies would - there's not much that they can do when everything leaks, leakers only get partial information and stuff like "holy shit, that studio is announcing a new game? I'm hoping for... {every singular Nintendo property here}" and then it turns out to be a Bakugan game.

They literally did a post mitigating expectations before the last Direct and people still went WHY DIDN'T YOU ANNOUNCE STAR FOX AND PRIME 4 AND GOKU IN SMASH so at this point I don't know what else they can do except make their new slogan GET USED TO DISAPPOINTMENT.

3 minutes ago, Sousa said:

They literally did a post mitigating expectations before the last Direct and people still went WHY DIDN'T YOU ANNOUNCE STAR FOX AND PRIME 4 AND GOKU IN SMASH so at this point I don't know what else they can do except make their new slogan GET USED TO DISAPPOINTMENT.

Why can't Super Mario be on PS4 and do a crossover with Master Chief? FUCK NINTENDO. 

• Like 1

Finally completed Paper Mario Origami King

Spoiler

The final boss battle was horrific to being doing in a room which was probably 35 degrees by the time I was playing it, all the constant motion controls (I never got round to turning them off) to fight was exhausting. The ending itself felt a little predictable, and the irony of Olly's reasoning was a little bizarre, but it was still an enjoyable game. They did seem intent on dramatic sacrifices, with Bobby, Bowser Jr, Kamek and Olivia all either sacrificing themselves to the death or seemingly to death until a hand-wave return after the Olly battle.

That said, the Shy Guy game show can fuck right off, I had to do it three times to get the bonus round done, and the tile moving puzzles were nigh on impossible.

Ok so I have narrowed it down that Donkey Kong and Little Mac are my top two in Super Smash Brothers. Then Young Link and Dark Pit. That's my crew.

Fuck Lucario, what an absolutely cheap fucking piece of shit.

Oh and my Mii Brawler is fucking great also. 

I fucking love playing this game with ny kids though. They make stages and god damn do they make cool ones.

Actually, my son has some really creative ones for Mario Maker 2, he makes them and has me try them. Kid is fucking clever.

To-do list

End that kid.

• Like 2

That was a great little showcase. Mario Battle Royale as part of the online service sounds great, even though I'll be awful at it, and you've also got Super Mario All-Stars as part of the SNES games too. Depending on what the Bowser's Fury expansion is, I might also be interested in getting Super Mario 3D World again.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars is the standout, though. I was thinking they might release them all separately, so to have the three games in one package is very nice indeed. As said, however, restricting the purchase window until March is completely baffling. I wonder if people will buy the physical version just to sell on later.

Also, that Mario Kart AR game looks really nice.