The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Yeah - the quickest way to build people up is to go to a map that you've already played and use a Reeking Box to summon some enemies (if you're playing on Normal, they'll be cheap and pay for themselves.. somewhere above that however and they're rarer and more expensive) and then proceed to pair them up and perform actions together. That's the best way to grind it out before you get to the proper Chapter.

I just reset when I lose somebody, even if it's somebody I don't normally use like Libra or effing Ricken. <_<

EDIT: OH. Chrom and Sumia can only marry certain people; Chrom can marry Sully, Sumia, a female avatar, Olivia, or Maribelle, while Sumia can only marry Chrom, Frederick, Gaius, Henry, and I think maybe one more person. The game all but says "look you should have sumia and chrom totes hook up guy," and it's not a terrible choice, but it's something to keep in mind.

Also don't kill Gaius in the fight you're supposed to get him because Gaius is great. Ditto Tharja. Basically anybody named who's not a party member can join your party if Chrom talks to them in battle.

Surprised no ones talking about the Nintendo direct update yesterday.

Lots of nifty info but the coolest part I took from it is that Nintendo will have demos available of upcoming games at best buys during e3.

Kind of a nice route away from the e3 attendance issue.

I got a new ally during Chapter 3 I think. A big guy with a shit ton of armor.

I'm trying to keep the levels even between the party, and also trying to not focus solely on my avatar too much. I might try getting her and Chrom together, though I love the boosts that Sumia gives to Chrom when paired up.

I also tried fighting one of the downloadable teams from the bonus box thing. Got destroyed in it and had to restart from the previous save to avoid that >_<

I got a new ally during Chapter 3 I think. A big guy with a shit ton of armor.

Kellam! Kellam is your defense guy. He has a ton of class options and makes a pretty good husband, too--excellent defensive growths. I liked pairing him with Miriel best.

And yeah, don't worry about anything but the lowest of the low-level Bonus Box teams yet, and even then maybe not. You're still super-duper early in the game.

As far as levels go, spread it around a bit, but don't forget that Frederick is already in a second-tier class when you start (so he's effectively level 11). This is why he's ridiculously strong. He should reasonably be your last resort, and it often pays not to use him at all.

Yeah, Frederick does a ton of damage (usually higher 20's). Some people I don't feel I can pair up with many people (Miriel I feel I can only pair with my avatar since both are magic based, and she gives +4 I think to magic).

Is your avatar always a mage, by the way? Or does it depend on what your primary skill is when you create it?

EDIT: I really want to say 'fuck Donny', because I just spent half an hour in that Paralogue, leveled him up, only for Sumia to end up dying because I'm stupid. Ended up exiting out because Sumia is someone I want to keep, mainly for the speed boost she gives. I also want Donny because it means another person I can use to pair up with others.

Edited by Vitamin E

Your avatar starts out with a spell and a sword - and the game tries to move you towards the spells a bit at first it feels like but I think it's just trying to convey the fact that you can spec your avatar out into basically ANY class your gender will allow - which kicks a metric ton of ass actually.

And yes. You want Donny - he's a little bastard to level at first but he's an insanely person to pair up with and his stat build is great as well.

Finally got him, but I lost Virion in the process :(. I hope I'll pick up another archer sometime soon, but I might be able to manage for now. I also got the Killer Lance from the thief, so all in all it was worth it I think. Might try the Reeking Box, though it costs 4800 and I have just over that.

I chose Magic as the stat when creating my avatar, so I'll be going down that route anyway. I'm also assuming for stuff I get, the rating for the item is the rating a character needs to have with that type of item to be able to use it?

To be honest, you can get by without Virion. <_< I don't know how his dying affects the plot later in the game (he has a fairly important scene at the beginning of the second half), but you can get by. You can get a primary archer late in the game, but you'll have to use a Seal if you want someone else with bow skillz.

4800 GP for a Reeking Box suggests you're playing Hard mode, which I'd call gutsy if this is your first FE game. I've beaten Hard, but the first few chapters are freaking difficult.

And yeah, your avatar can do whatever. If she's female (which I gathered from your idea that she pair up with Chrom, which isn't a bad idea), you might use a Seal to recast her as a Pegasus Knight, then send her down the path to get Dark Flier. Dark Fliers can get the skill Galeforce, which allows them to get a second attack if they kill an enemy with their first. I like getting a ton of people Galeforce--the avatar if she's female, Sumia, Lissa, Maribelle, Olivia, and Cordelia can all get it. By midway through the game, you can pair up with someone with high compatibility and one-hit kill a lot of enemies pretty easily, and if you pair up two people with Galeforce you can just soar across the battlefield picking off whoever.

And if Magic was your avatar's primary ability, then it pairs nicely with Dark Flier, which can use tomes. I'll sometimes keep them there for the mobility, but with a magic-based avatar, Sage and Grandmaster are worth noticing for good skills and magic growth (and Sage will get you Tomefaire, another awesome skill).

But really, trading Virion for Donny is a trade up. Marry him to somebody (Sully/Donny is my favorite, but he'll be great with whoever).

Yeah, it's my first FE game but I wanted the game to last longer and not be something I just rush through. I imagine I could have gotten the same challenge going in the easiest mode, but I don't want to restart now <_<

I enjoyed Virion when he talked, so I'll miss that. But I'll try to do without. Sully will have to be paired with someone else now. I'll have to try pairing people up with some different ones in Chapter 4 (though I had beaten that but was only Chapter 3) and see how they react with one another during the Support thing. My avatar and Lissa just made it to B with Lissa offering her a massage and putting a frog on her, so I'm disappointed you can't do same sex marriage in the game now <_<

I was going through some classes last night, and there are some I'd love to be able to use. Once I reach level 10 I can switch my avatar class from Tactician to something else correct?

I'm going through as a male character right now just so I can see all of the supports (get to level S, save in different slot, then reset). Lissa's support conversations are pretty good. Sumia's are my favorite--she's got a great C-level with the avatar but it gets really sweet and adorable in the end.

At level 10, you can switch with either a Second Seal or a Master Seal. Second Seal allows another first-tier class, while Master Seal lets you go to an eligible second-tier. Some classes only have one second-tier (Tactician becomes Grandmaster, Lord becomes Great Lord), some have none (Villager, Manakete, Taguel), but most have two (Sully, as a Cavalier, can go for either Paladin or Great Knight like Frederick).

Don't worry about eligible husbands; you get plenty of men to accommodate every woman in the game, especially since the female avatar can marry any male in the game--including some that are ineligible to marry otherwise (this is why her list of potential support conversations is so massive--it includes every character in the game, including bonus characters). Sully pairs nicely with Donny, Gaius, and probably Kellam. I'd stay away from Sully/Frederick since it's sort of a redundant pair.

I wasn't expecting to have as much fun with the game as I am. Damn it, employee at Gamestop for mentioning how she bought it and enjoyed it thus making me download the demo.

Considering I'm getting New Leaf on the 9th and one of Pokemon X/Y in October, and having Red Dead Redemption again, I think I'll be good with games for a bit.

Yep. I only played a bit of Animal Crossing when a friend had it for the Wii. Got a sweet bed from the trash. This will be my first purchase of an Animal Crossing game, but I'm looking forward to it. It should be a game that tides me over for a while since it never really 'ends'. I'll have to bother you guys for your 3DS friend code things at some point <_<

I've played too many Animal Crossing games to really care about that series anymore. What's this one have on tap? The last couple haven't been very interesting at all in my view.

I think the biggest thing is that you'll be the mayor of the town and have more customization at your disposal. There's supposed to be a thing for town ordinance's that you can enact (like some early bird thing to get people in town to wake up earlier and have stores open earlier). Not sure what exactly else there is that is new.

Aside from that everything is mostly minor - customization has been expanded, you can swim now and a number of other activities - but the newest Harvest Moon has me hooked because of the friggin' awesome way you can move everything around.

Fucking hell, the support conversations between your avatar and (BONUS BOX PARALOGUE SPOILERS!)

Aversa

are ridiculous and fanservicy as hell.

I've just got Panne and (MORE BONUS BOX PARALOGUE SPOILERS!)

Emmeryn

and I've got all the male avatar marriage conversations unlocked. I'm doing this all by having a second game save by the way--I've played a few times through but not that many. <_<

More Bonus Box paralogue spoilers:

It is super-weird in hindsight that you can add spots on the map to get Gangrel, Walhart, Emmeryn, Yen'fay, and Aversa

before you meet any one of those characters except maybe Emmeryn.

I need to start getting through it to read the spoiler boxes :( Do you get Paralogue chapters after completing certain story chapters?

Did Chapter 4 today. Relatively simple. I paired Sumia up with Frederick, Donny with Chrom, and Lissa with my avatar (as I always do). The Barracks thing is interesting. Is it basically just a way to sometimes get free stuff (items, xp, relationship boosts)?

I need to stop being so stingy with gold. I want to buy stuff, but only have just over 4800 and don't want to spend it unless I absolutely need to. Might need to get a couple of weapons for some people soon, and more Heal for Lissa.

Edited by Vitamin E