The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Yeah, the Barracks gives free shit, relationship boosts, stat boosts, and little stupid snippits of conversation between characters who can't build support levels (because you MUST KNOW what Miriel thinks of Sumia's shirt!) (it is the same thing she thinks of Stahl's shirt) (and Chrom's shirt).

Paralogue chapters come up every 2-3 chapters and give items and, very very often, characters. The ones I'm referencing come from the very very end of the game and are the bonus maps in the Bonus Box (The Dead King's Lament, Irreconcilable Paths, A Hard Miracle, et al). All of them have a recruitable character from earlier in the game. I won't spoil who they are, but you'll figure out the nature of it quickly enough. All of them but one are plot-relevant characters you meet earlier, and they're all optional, but they're all also very powerful. The characters (save Donnel and the ones you can get after Chapter 13) all have limited interactions, though, and none of them can marry non-avatar characters (the avatar can marry anyone).

There are some people I do that for, but in the case of Ricken I didn't mind. I have his Elwind stuff and I can give that to my avatar or Miriel instead. Unless I really like the character or have plans for a relationship with them and someone, I'll take the loss and hope to acquire someone better down the road.

I did, however, save after that chapter in a new slot. So if I REALLY want Ricken I have a save file from before that chapter <_<

I still need to decide on who to try to push into marriage. Really wish you could do same sex marriages, because Lissa/my avatar and Donny/....the guy you get from Chapter 4 from the West Khan I think... would be in one just for the stats boosts they give.

I'm leaning towards Sumia/Frederick based on a convo they had in Support where they hit it off.

If I lose two or more people in a chapter, I'll restart immediately, even if it's people I don't mind losing. The reason I gave up on some challenge before I did Chapter 5 was because one person kept dying and it was annoying. Maybe with the Elwind magic it'll be smoother <_<

Fuck Ricken, my god. If you hadn't killed him I'd have come to your house and killed him for you. Ricken is like my least favorite character. <_<

HE LOOKS LIKE A CHILD HINGA DINGA DÜRGEN

That said, you want a husband for (none of these names are really spoilers because just about everybody joins your party right after you meet them except for like Maribelle and a few people late-game)...

1. Avatar (easy work--she has a ton of options)

2. Sumia (can only marry Chrom, Gaius, Henry, or Frederick)

3. Miriel

4. Sully

5. Maribelle

6. Lissa

7. Cordelia

8. Panne

9. Nowi

10. Tharja (DON'T ACCIDENTALLY KILL THARJA)

11. Olivia

12. Cherche

And your eligible men with wide marriage options are...

1. Chrom (can only marry the avatar, Sumia, Maribelle, Olivia, or Sully)

2. Vaike

3. Frederick

4. Stahl

5. Kellam

6. Lon'qu

7. Gaius (DON'T ACCIDENTALLY KILL GAIUS)

8. Donnel

9. Libra

10. Gregor

11. Henry

12. Ricken

13. Virion

So my advice, oddly, is don't marry your avatar to Chrom at this point. You have just enough potential husbands on the way to match up with everyone, and if you marry the avatar to Chrom then you lose an option. There are eleven more men in the game that only the avatar can marry (as I said, the avatar can marry anyone). If you're dead set on a Chrom/Avatar pairing, then my advice is to leave Panne single. You want Cordelia and Lissa married especially. Gaius and Donny both go well with either Sully, Nowi, or Tharja for reasons I'll get into later.

The first couple of times I reset due to losing him, but then I got fed up with him. I managed to keep him alive longer the final time, but he ended up dying again. At that point I spent too much time to get to that point that I said fuck it.

Lon'qu. Couldn't remember his name. I might try pairing him and Sumia up and see how they react to one another, though they both have great speed and would love to have the paired up with two other people as well. I feel I should deal with relationships on more than what stat boosts can be acquired through pairing up <_<

Lon'qu can't pair with Sumia. Sumia has really limited options. That's why that one cutscene happens where she saves Chrom on the pegasus, because the game all but tells you "HEY YOU KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD DO YOU SHOULD MAKE CHROM MARRY SUMIA DO IT DO IT DO IT AWWWW YEAH AND LET ME WATCH"

Did Paralogue 2 and saved Anna, after about 4 attempts. I forgot that I don't really have to pair everyone up <_<

I really need to level Donnel, Sully, Miriel, and Vaike up, though. None of them have hit level 5, while pretty much the rest are around level 7-9.

I've got a couple of challenge battles on the map now, so maybe those can be fruitful for some Exp. for them.

Pair Donny up every fight. Aptitude means he'll level up very, very well. Make sure to give him a Second Seal and get him to a class that doesn't suck (he does really well as a Mercenary).

I need to find some low level enemies to help get Donny leveled up. He's only level 2 and I'm afraid of putting him out there in any battle <_<

Archers are your friend. They can't fire back.

The worst thing about Donny is that he starts in a class that uses lances, and virtually zero of his reclass options use them. So you'll have D or C rank in lances by the time you're ready to reclass, and then, BAM, right back to E. Kind of sucks.

Disappointment in my current "let's just see the rest of the marriage interactions" playthrough: the Virion/avatar interactions are exactly the same for men and women but basically end in "and also let's make out" with the woman.

Also a disappointment: for some reason Olivia has a massive amount of husbands to get through because apparently I just really really don't like marrying off Olivia.

I don't know why because Inigo is pretty fantastic.

I ended up fighting that Nyna team you can get from the Bonus Box. Not sure if I really want her now since she's level 1, and I've got enough people I'm trying to level up as is. And having difficulty doing so. Redownloaded the Nyna team to beat again for more experience at least. I should probably get on with Chapter 6 at some point <_<

The only nice thing about the Bonus Box teams is that the people you get can die and you don't need to worry about it. There's also a bonus battle way late in the game where having a lot of scrubs and a few powerful characters is actually an asset rather than a liability.

Okay, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are on sale for $5 apiece in the eShop until June 20. This is a really fantastic deal, and both games are very good and worth getting (Ages is better if you're strapped, though). The 3DS versions obviously contain the GBC connectivity, meaning that if you play through both, you get a bonus boss battle and the "real" ending. And now you can get both for ten bucks. Well worth it.

Ugh. I'm excited for the PS4, I really am, but at this rate there is little to no chance I give this year to Sony. If Nintendo handles E3 as well as they've been handling their Directs, and if they keep hyping my wallet over all this classic shit they're re-releasing, nevermind the new stuff, then they've basically won 2013 for me.

I mean hell, they're already dominating it on the handheld end, and I'm already finding myself preferring their multiplat versions of games on the WiiU (Much though I enjoy Injustice on the PS3... the Wii U Pro Controller's D-Pad is perfect for fighters, and I'm hyped as shit over Resident Evil: Revelations). I may be buying a Vita later on for Muramasa and Dragon's Crown, but the 3DS/Wii U combo is a force to be reckoned with.