Official 2010 World Cup Qualifying Thread

alldaws1

That's a great achievement for Australia. Especially when they're up against such footballing powerhouses as Qatar and Bahrain.
It's no different than playing Kazhakstan and Andorra, Is it?

That's a great achievement for Australia. Especially when they're up against such footballing powerhouses as Qatar and Bahrain.

I love the cynicism. The team can only beat who they're put up against. We were lucky enough to avoid Iran, Saudi Arabia, and South Korea - but we earned that stroke of luck by being one of the top two seeded nations in the region. We aren't lucky enough to draw the likes of Malta, Moldova, Slovenia, San Marino, Azerbaijan, or the Faroe Islands :(

So Scotland drop Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor because they stayed up drinking until 3am after the Holland game. Not sure what to make of it - if they had a day off on Sunday or if it was just for travelling then they should be able to do what they want. Although if they were supposed to do some training or if they had a curfew then obviously it's an issue. Either way, we're down 2 important players. Gordon should hopefully be able to slot back in as keeper OK (besides the lack of match practice at Sunderland), but Ferguson is part of the heart of midfield. I have horrible visions of Gavin Rae in there, but apparently James Morrison is favourite to get the nod.

That's arguable. Like a lot of the former Russian states, what they lack in actual quality, Kazakhstan make up for in organisation, and are a tough team to go to. I can't make that argument for Andorra, admittedly >_>

Whilst Bahrain and Qatar out and out suck, so thats good enough for me.

They're both loaded and making great use of the naturalisation rules. Half of their teams seem to be made up of African or South American players who got bought young and have become citizens.

We've got a big game against Italy tonight, I'm proper nervous and everyting, since we have a real good chance of qualifying now. I haven't been this way since the Spain game in 2002. I'd gladly take a bore nil-all draw, leaving us still in the driving seat for 2nd.

Anything can be better than the shambles Saturday night at Croker, which I had the pleasure of attending.

That's arguable. Like a lot of the former Russian states, what they lack in actual quality, Kazakhstan make up for in organisation, and are a tough team to go to. I can't make that argument for Andorra, admittedly >_>

Belarus winning 5-1 in Kazakhstan would hurt your arguement

Well how many players have actually got hatricks for England in recent years? I can only think of Walcott vs Croatia and Crouch against the mighty Jamaica!

Why does Ashley Cole still earn consideration as the best left back? For every good tackle he puts in there's a wayward pass, he's not all that great.