Jonathan Ross & Russell Brand Suspended

Scott McFly

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hang on? A well loved actor? I think that might be pushing it a bit to be fair.

No, it's true. Over the last couple of days it's become apparant that Andrew Sachs is the besterest most loved actor in the whole thing of England.

I'd kind of always assumed the actor was actually Spanish/Portugese whatever. I guess that just goes to show how good of an actor he is to make me believe such a thing, and why he truly is deserving of the distinction of the "besterest most loved actor in the whole thing of England." A simply phenomenal talent.

Don't doubt the power of Manuel. No-one can say "Que?" quite like him....

I'm interested to see what they put on BBC1 on Friday night when Ross' show isn't on. Probably just a movie or repeat of something I imagine, but it's a right pain for all the guests they've got booked and now won't be able to appear unless the BBC un-suspend him by Thursday which is when it's recorded I believe. Or they could have 4 Poofs & A Piano host. :shifty:

Fuck that, give the show to Mark Lamarr! I NEED LAMARR BACK ON MY TV DAMMUT!

Agreed. Sack 'em both and get Lamarr on my tellybox!

Surely the Russell Brand ship sailed months, if not years ago and Jonathan Ross gets less entertaining and more of a pastiche every time I see him.

Yawns.

It is filmed on a Wednesday night. They said there would be no guest-presenters.

Everyone loves Manuel... :( (Edit: Ace's complete U-turn on Andrew Sachs' awesomeness since posting that is quite funny).

I just listened to the whole thing on YouTube, and, well... I'm not a huge fan of Russell Brand, I do like him when he's on other people's shows (such as Jonathan Ross's ¬_¬), but on his own, or for long periods, he's a bit too much sometimes. He can be funny, he can be very funny, but the funny is almost always outweighed by shite. Jonathan Ross, however, is a fucking legend. Or was. I'm a bit miffed that he'd be involved with something like that.

Even so, it's been blown out of all proportion. There were two complaints by listeners on the night. Two. Now, fair enough, if you're listening to Russell Brand's show in the first place you probably found it hilarious. My opinions were as follows:

- Most of it was pointless and would've been annoying to have to listen to, but I can't really see why Andrew Sachs (a guy famous for playing a stereotypical Spanish waiter in a John Cleese comedy) would be terribly upset over it. From the look of her, most people have fucked his granddaughter anyway. Don't get me wrong, she's pretty hot for a posh slutty bint. Tasteless, yes. Pointless, yes. Over-the-top, yes. But those three phrases pretty much sum up Russell Brand, a guy who's show Sachs had agreed to participate in anyway (even if he couldn't see it through). In short, don't complain about the smell if you bathe in shit.

- Pretty much the whole thing was Jonathan Ross's fault.

- Even if they do fire Russell Brand, he'll just go somewhere like E4 or Channel 5, where he can be himself again and probably take the piss out of the whole situation and earn more money than ever.

- Only two people who actually listened to the show bothered to complain. The rest complained the next day, either after listening to it on iPlayer, or after reading about it in the media. Like someone said on't telly earlier: It's not the listeners that are outraged, it's the media. If you took your grandmother to see Saw V, she'd probably be 'offended'. But would she go and see Saw V on her own? No. So why the fuck complain about it?

- The granddaughter is a massive slag, and will probably make more money out of the recognition she now has than she ever would've before now. Carry on playing the distressed woman standing up for poor old grandad, love. Heat and Ok! will love you for it. Seriously, who even knew Andrew Sachs HAD a granddaughter before that show?

I feel sorry for Andrew Sachs; he didn't ask for any of this. I also feel slightly sorry for Russell Brand, as it was mostly Jonathan Ross's fault. Before "he fucked your granddaughter" it was typical Russell Brand 'pointless segment that isn't really going anyway but isn't hurting anyone'. Then Ross turned it to shit.

Ross deserves everything he gets, though. Which will likely be very little in the way of punishment. And Sachs' very fuckable granddaughter can shut the fuck up.

Bahahaha, I just found something hilarious. Andrew Sachs' first ever film credit, way back in 1959? "The Night We Dropped A Clanger", a WWII comedy.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I wasnt even aware Russell Brand worked for the BBC, all of his tele shows are on Channel 4. Ross should know better, but the way they carried on on Radio 1 with the news this morning/early afternoon made it seem like the biggest news of the last decade.

Fine them both and then just forget it, Sachs wants it forgotten and he's the victim in all of this.

The Russell Brand ship - that has propelled him into becoming a known figure in Hollywood and becoming a celebrity world wide? That ship? Just to clarify.

That ship sailed off the British coast quite a while ago. It's currently doing a Francis Drake voyage.

EDIT - I made a Magellan joke and then decided that, as a History student, it wouldn't do me justice not to mention Sir Drake when talking about sailing across the globe.

Edited by damshow

Fuck off. You're too young. He's certainly not the most loved actor, but Manuel stands out as one of the more memorable characters of British comedy. Hell, I wasn't alive when the show was originally aired, but saw plenty of repeats on Sturday afternoons or whatever to appreciate that. Admittedly, I can't name off-hand anything else he's been in, though I'm sure I have seen him in other things, but no one's saying "most-accomplished" actor, are they?

Simon Amstell must be shitting himself - if two of the BBC's leading celebrities get into this much bother for 'abusing' (as I've seen it called) a forgotten old man then God knows how much trouble he might get into for making fun of C-list celebrities.

Again, fuck off, entirely different circumstances. Taking the piss on a show that primarily concerns itself with taking the piss is one thing. Leaving expletive-riddled inappropriate messages on somebody's personal answering machine totally crosses the line, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an imbecile. It's an unsolicited verbal attack, for chrissakes.

Exactly. He's doing well in America cos he's a colourful English "character" and eccentric who talks about sex and makes smutty remarks to actresses on TV.

Isn't that what he does in general :shifty:

Just because some of you don't find him a well loved actor doesn't mean those in the business don't. He's a star, he's remembered and he was damn good.

The 'joke' wasn't funny. It was abuse. If I did it to your granddad, the police would be involved. So, there should be action taken. Fired? Don't care. I find Brand funny when he's not trying too hard, and Ross used to be better - but he's still okay. I don't want them off tele, but they - especially Wossy - should know better.

End of the day, they went to far, they abused an old man. He's more respected than most people expected and there's a stupidly huge backlash.

Also, those damning the BBC - get over yourselves. It's not their fault, it was down to the producer of the show and the station, not the BBC as an organisation.

About half of today's Daily Record was given over to this issue.

"According to yesterday's paper, a Macedonian woman with five breasts has had three of them removed. Any chance the BBC could do something similar and get rid of this pair of t**s?"

To think Tam Cowan used to be funny.

Just for the record Dragsy, I've seen a lot of episodes of Fawlty Towers. Don't think I'm just here making some comment about something I've never even seen before, bit far telling me to 'fuck off' for a light hearted jibe I think. (Twice even)

Edited by IAceI

12. 120. 1.2k, not really relevant. I was told I was too young to remember, I spent most of my childhood watching programs like Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and Horses and the such with my dad when I was growing up. I can't say for certain I've seen them all, I think I have but it's a long time since I've watched them so I can't be certain.

All I was saying that people seem to be putting him on a pedestal as something better than what he truly is. Summers is completely right, if it was my grandad I would be going absolutely nuts and I completely agree it was out of line that Brand and Ross done it - but at the same time I think Sachs as been made into something he's not. He was funny in his role. But it seems the media are portraying him as some kind of God's gift to acting - although those media outlets are unsurprisingly things like The Sun, The People and the like etc. Him and Cleese were brilliant together in the program, but I just feel everything has gone over the top now with it all.

And yeah, I take exception to being told to "fuck off" twice for something I said in a pretty light hearted way. Hopefully that clears it all up a bit but oh well.

Edited by IAceI

How many people actually knew (and remembered) who Andrew Sachs was 2 weeks ago? If more than one or two people said they did then they're lying. I have the damn series on DVD and couldn't have told you his name, yes he was funny (albeit very offensive, ironically) but he's certainly not a "well-loved comedian".

- Most of it was pointless and would've been annoying to have to listen to, but I can't really see why Andrew Sachs (a guy famous for playing a stereotypical Spanish waiter in a John Cleese comedy) would be terribly upset over it. From the look of her, most people have fucked his granddaughter anyway. Don't get me wrong, she's pretty hot for a posh slutty bint. Tasteless, yes. Pointless, yes. Over-the-top, yes. But those three phrases pretty much sum up Russell Brand, a guy who's show Sachs had agreed to participate in anyway (even if he couldn't see it through). In short, don't complain about the smell if you bathe in shit.

He agreed to do an interview on the show and instead got abuse left on his answerphone. It'd be one thing to have some banter in an interview, what they did was entirely different. He's upset over that, I don't think he could give a fuck who his granddaughter's shagged.

- Only two people who actually listened to the show bothered to complain. The rest complained the next day, either after listening to it on iPlayer, or after reading about it in the media. Like someone said on't telly earlier: It's not the listeners that are outraged, it's the media. If you took your grandmother to see Saw V, she'd probably be 'offended'. But would she go and see Saw V on her own? No. So why the fuck complain about it?

Yes, the whole thing is one media shitstorm. But having personal insults thrown at you and going to see a movie are two completely different things. One's abuse.

- The granddaughter is a massive slag, and will probably make more money out of the recognition she now has than she ever would've before now. Carry on playing the distressed woman standing up for poor old grandad, love. Heat and Ok! will love you for it. Seriously, who even knew Andrew Sachs HAD a granddaughter before that show?

Again, it's irrelevant whether she is a massive slag. She's literally issued 1 statement on it, it's the media that are dragging this whole thing out, I'm sure she just wants it to end for her grandfather's sake.

And Sachs' very fuckable granddaughter can shut the fuck up.

See: media shitstorm. She's barely said anything.

And if anyone's interested, seems we're being treated to the movie "Speed" tomorrow night instead of Jonathan Ross and a Celebrity Scissorhands repeat. Great Halloween movie that, although they are showing "Halloween II" straight after it.

And I know who Andrew Sachs is. I knew he wasn't Spanish. Without even looking anything up I could tell you he's narrated a bunch of shows and you've probably heard him at least once. Think he did "Airport" back in the day.

Just because some of you don't find him a well loved actor doesn't mean those in the business don't. He's a star, he's remembered and he was damn good.

The 'joke' wasn't funny. It was abuse. If I did it to your granddad, the police would be involved. So, there should be action taken. Fired? Don't care. I find Brand funny when he's not trying too hard, and Ross used to be better - but he's still okay. I don't want them off tele, but they - especially Wossy - should know better.

End of the day, they went to far, they abused an old man. He's more respected than most people expected and there's a stupidly huge backlash.

Also, those damning the BBC - get over yourselves. It's not their fault, it was down to the producer of the show and the station, not the BBC as an organisation.

Too right. He was an excellent actor.