You Make The Mafia Role

• Admin

OK, this time going in order as I read them....

Sousa: OK, an investigator who also sends his results to someone else, and can only be targeted at night by scum kills. I assume the way to play this role would be to let someone else reveal your results and keep as quiet as possible to avoid being revealed. Could make for quite the tactical choice. Very intriguing. Score - 8

Ruki So, it's an investigator, but if he uses his power he can't post the next day, thus stopping him revealing his results. I think this is a bit too restrictive - especially with the addedum of he'll be blocked if targeted by any female role. Score - 4

Pleatherface - I like this - an investigator who can't roleclaim or have his role revealed. Not sure to how a town would react to it though - an investigator who won't claim will no doubt be tagged as a scum investigator at some stage. Score - 6

-Matt- Less an investigator role, more a "confirmation of scum" role really, which is interesting. Not too sure about the Cult element of the role, maybe a bit too complex. Maybe the punishment for investigating a townie should be less harmful to the town and more harmful to the player? Score - 5

MPH Another variation on the "someone else gets the results" theme, but unlike Sousa the investigator themselves doesn't get the results. Not too shabby. Score - 7

Toffeefan2K8 So the crux of the matter is there is a 25% chance the investigator & investigatee will be killed? Blah. Score - 3

TEOL - It's an intriguing role - but it's effectiveness depends on the size & balance of the game. If all the investigator has to do is avoid being lynched for a couple of days, he'll have most (or all) of the Mafia identified, and can hand them to the town. Still, there is a tactical element to the role which is intruiging. Score - 7

FD - Ah, now I like this - can be a perfectly normal investigator, if no-one else interacts with the target, or one who receives confused information. Excellent role. Score - 10

DFF - Another variant on the "someone else gets the results", but this time with the cavaet that both targets are easier to lynch. Not too bad Score - 7

Marcos An interesting role. The player will die when they reveal their results, so it's a risk/reward set-up. How long do you wait to reveal, hoping to get as many results as possible. Would make for a more team-aligned player than someone interested in their own survival. Score - 8

Norro An investigator who gets info in installments. It's original, but probably not as effective as it could be. Score - 7

Hypnosis A quasi-investigator. They don't target people, instead they get the alignments of people who target them. The only downside to this is 90% of the time the Mafia person who targets them will be killing them, so not sure how effective this really is. Score - 5

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get all the "send your results to someone else", if anything that doesn't restrict the investigator, it helps them, because if there's a bulletproof mayor just send it to them, if not, just send it to players that are (almost certainly) clear, that way your results are getting found out and you don't have to out yourself with them.

because if there's a bulletproof mayor just send it to them

...but there's not a bulletproof mayor, genius. How do you know so much about the balance of these games when you can't even see the rest of the roles?

because if there's a bulletproof mayor just send it to them

...but there's not a bulletproof mayor, genius. How do you know so much about the balance of these games when you can't even see the rest of the roles?

Yes, way to read half of what I said, bravo Sousa.

IF there's a bulletproof mayor, you'd send it to them, IF NOT you'd send it to a player who's almost certainly town. The only way that role restricts the cop is if they either A) did it randomly or B) there was a scenario like RW in Devil Rejects (I think). The latter is rare and the former is just idiocy.

But the player who's almost certainly town is hardly a sure thing, first of all because they may be lying and second of all because they may die. There's actually a lot of risk/reward in the role. For example...

* Do the players inherently trust the role giving out the information, or do they blow it off like most EWB towns do to "gossip" roles?

* What happens if the person receiving the information dies?

* What happens if the investigator sends the information to a scum player and--like I said--is thus outed to the scum?

* At what point does the investigator reveal himself and risk losing it all, and if so, how does he play the game after that?

I'm primarily defending my role here, but that's because I put a lot of work into making sure there was an element of strategy to it. You can't play Sahasrahla like you play other cops, or you'll be killed quickly. You have to balance playing to your information without revealing too much--a different strategy for EWB cops, as we've seen in WWF '92, where everyone's just coming right out with every bit of information they get.

Some people like dying Sousa. Stop telling them how to play the game!

Although I do like the way you suggested that cop role. I think there should be a strategic element to playing the power roles not just "so and so is town/scum, protection please!".

But the player who's almost certainly town is hardly a sure thing, first of all because they may be lying and second of all because they may die. There's actually a lot of risk/reward in the role. For example...

* Do the players inherently trust the role giving out the information, or do they blow it off like most EWB towns do to "gossip" roles?

* What happens if the person receiving the information dies?

* What happens if the investigator sends the information to a scum player and--like I said--is thus outed to the scum?

* At what point does the investigator reveal himself and risk losing it all, and if so, how does he play the game after that?

I'm primarily defending my role here, but that's because I put a lot of work into making sure there was an element of strategy to it. You can't play Sahasrahla like you play other cops, or you'll be killed quickly. You have to balance playing to your information without revealing too much--a different strategy for EWB cops, as we've seen in WWF '92, where everyone's just coming right out with every bit of information they get.

Find me examples of games where after a day or two there aren't townies who are likely town, it's obviously not a sure thing they're town (I mentioned that with my example of RW) but it's not a common occurance that there aren't at least 1 or 2 players who are almost certainly town. Your role is slightly different (better?) than some of the others in that you're immune to protection and so if you're found, you're dead.

But give me the choice of "cop" or "cop who doesn't have to reveal his info because some other schmuk can do it for him", I'll take the latter please.

Edit: Not arguing any more cos it just looks like sour grapes.

Edited by Footjob Fever

Although I do like the way you suggested that cop role. I think there should be a strategic element to playing the power roles not just "so and so is town/scum, protection please!".

If only someone hadn't been saying that for years and years now, and creating and running entire games for the specific purpose of pointing it out.

Hypnosis A quasi-investigator. They don't target people, instead they get the alignments of people who target them. The only downside to this is 90% of the time the Mafia person who targets them will be killing them, so not sure how effective this really is. Score - 5

True, but it would also clear players names for the player.

I'm literally just popping on to say that I'm going to be away from my comp for the next 30 hours or so. If I can somehow get online early tomorrow and send a role in I while, but I understand if I have to use my skip up.