Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Nice first half, controlled pretty well I'd say outside of the two minute spell where Birmingham had a header cleared off the line. Valencia has impressed me a lot. Really wasn't sure about us signing him, but I feel I was certainly wrong now, because he fits in the team brilliantly, great team work as well.

Overall, nice half, outside of the shit refereeing that is.

Edit - Just heard about the Ferdinand being injured stuff and that he could be out for a few weeks. Certainly not the news we need to be hearing. Vidic, VDS, Ferdinand and Rafael all injured :bang:

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Steady if not spectacular start, think Rooney being the centre of the team will make a pleasant change to the way we play. Birmingham didn't play too poorly but didn't really show too much intent. United probably could have had 3 or 4.

Is anyone else doing the Sky Sports Fantasy Team this year?

Gutted for Owen at the end, should of put that one away.

Sadly our entire defence (bar Evra) is injured. Certainly wont feel too comfortable until Ferdinand and Vidic are restored to the back. Laughable referee for the game though, got almost every single decision wrong. Winning start, that's the main thing.

Wooomph! Thunderbolt from BAE. Our defence has looked really comfortable, the midfield are mixing it and the deserved goal finally came.

I was a bit worried after all the chances Spurs had that if it was 0-0 at half time Liverpool would have been confident coming out for the second half.

I knew it was touch and go with Carra, Skrtel, Gerrard and Torres, but I didn't think they were this bad. The centre backs looked off the pace even before Carra decided to attack Skrtel for daring to go for a ball, Gerrard is anonymous and Torres is pulling up after every light jog.

Oh well, we can't play any worse than this.

Spurs were lucky with the penalty, if Dowd was a competent referee he'd have given that. Bottled giving a second one and sending the defender off as well.

We didn't deserve to get anything from the game, and even though Bassong should've been suspended we deserved to lose. Carra gave yet another example of why he shouldn't be first choice, that clash of heads with Skrtel was unbelievable; Carragher had no right to be going for that. Don't know why Babel started, he's picked up from where he left off last season by being absolute dross. Benayoun made an immediate difference when he came on, mostly because he's capable of controlling, passing and running with a football.

Poor start to the season but we'll get better.

What an interesting first weekend, eh? Some thoughts...

We've seen some great goals-Drogba (the first, obviously), Rodallega, Denilson and Assou-Ekotto, all with some absolute belters. Hull can feel hard done by for the poxy goal, but Chelsea did deserve the win and should've scored two or three others.

I don't know why everyone is writing Wigan off, and is surprised by them beating Villa. They have a very good team and in Roberto Martinez have one of the smartest, most creative managers in the division. I can see them finishing in the top half easily this season.

Not happy at all with the Liverpool game, they were lacklustre from start to finish. Without Alonso, I seriously cannot see a title win this season. Aquilani isn't even gonna be fit until October, apparently. Johnson is a great signing and did well today, but Insua looked out of his depth at left back and the formation didn't work really. Taking nothing away from Tottenham, they were very good today and deserved the win. I can go on all day about Bassong playing when he shouldn't have been, and two clear penalty decisions turned down in the last 10 minutes, but they didn't deserve anything anyway. The catch-up begins early this year, I guess!

I'm not even gonna discuss the Everton game...

I didn't see the entire game, but what's this penalty decision you guys are talking about? The only thing I see was A-E having the ball hit his hand, but his hand was in front of his chest from what I could see.

Awesome result, Spurs just give me a reason to like them again :wub:

The ball was slid through to Voronin (I think), and Assou-Ekotto (sp?) didn't play the ball and basically barged Voronin off of the ball without actually making an attempt to play at it. Initially, I didn't think it was a penalty, but when it was shown again from another angle, it looked like it probably should have been a penalty.

Does Gerrard ever play in England friendlies anymore? He always seems to be "injured" these days? At work we were joking about how Gerrard would mysteriously get injured and miss the England game and then he did. We also then joked about how he'd be fit for the Tottenham game and then he did. Funny.

How did Tottenham manage to get away with convincing the Premier League that Bassong had served his suspension? He was a registered Tottenham player by the time of the Newcastle/West Brom game wasn't he?

First game of the season, people can say Everton were bad (and I've read eslewhere people seeing that) but the reason Everton were bad is because we made them look bad and we were brilliant. Of the top four we were the only team who were totally convincing in victory. Would've been nice if we could've kept a clean-sheet but we are Arsenal and that just wouldn't be right.