Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Darren Bent scored to give us three points on opening day, away from home to boot. We need to give a good account for ourselves on Tuesday against Chelsea, and then hopefully a win against Blackburn because I'll be there with my Blackburn supporting friend.

Really surprised by the Villa result and glad Darren Bent got off to a good start for Sunderland.

Tomorrow's game against Liverpool should be interesting, neither team will be at full strength, plenty of players out injured. I think a draw is the most likely result but I don't think it's out of our range to snatch a slim victory.

Villa were fucking dreadful today we were easily pushed off the ball at every opportunity and completely outplayed by Wigan throughout. We need to splash out on a creative central midfield player (Best case scenerio: Sneijder) and a commanding, experienced centre back. If we don't, we're going to be in the shit until January.

To be honest, Lescott told the manager he didn't feel up to playing. He seems pretty professional, so I'm sure he didn't go out and throw the game essentially, but if his head isn't there, they shouldn't have played him. It couldn't have helped, though Arsenal were pretty good irrelevant of Everton's troubles.

Harsh on Hull, they've fought very well. Last minute assery is right. Still, Hull fans can be pleased with the performance and maybe relegation won't be the absolute certainty that everyone thinks.

Relegation isn't a certainty for anybody there's more poor teams (Judging on paper of course at this stage of the campaign) this season than ever before. I think they'll stay up and it'll be Portsmouth, Wolves and Burnley going down.

Personally, I thought that last season had the most 'bad' Premiership sides potentially as the season began. Admittedly, Stoke and Hull performed a hell of a lot better than expected, and even my team Fulham went from being a potential relegation candidate to European qualification, but there were definitely any of about 10 teams who could really struggle. This year, looks like 5 for the most part (Portsmouth, Hull, Burnley, Wolves, Birmingham)

Arsenal always seem to start the season strongly. Hopefully this time they can keep it up and provide a challenge for the other three. Last few seasons it's been more of a "big three" than a "big four".

Two years ago they challenged, think they were top in February? And finished third. I really want them to do well this season, and batter Man City when they meet in a few weeks to shut up everybody who thinks Arsenal will finish 15th or whatever. Ideally they'll finish 2nd to Liverpool but that top two just isn't happening :shifty:

And I dunno which season had the most bad sides. I thought Hull and Stoke were certs to go down, and I think I was only tipping West Brom or Fulham to go down outside of that. Didn't see Newcastle or Boro going at all at the start of the season. This year I think it's between the three promoted sides, Hull and Pompey, definitely, though I'm not really sure on any of them. I've tipped Hull, Pompey and Burnley but I could see any of them staying up, whereas last year I didn't give Hull or Stoke a chance. I thought Wigan would struggle as well this season but they seem to be doing fine. Stoke are too good at home to go down and I don't think Sunderland, Bolton or Blackburn will be anywhere near. So I'd probably say it feels more open at the start of this season, even though last season it ended up being more open than it probably will be this season.

Really impressed by Wigan yesterday and I love Rodallega, unbelievable strike from him and I think he could be a really important player for them if he can really continue to warm to the Premiership. Martinez clearly likes to play a different type of style to how Wigan previously were, so I'm really excited to see more of them and really hoping they do well.

Arsenal also looked pretty great, but Everton certainly didn't look anywhere near their best. I actually think Arsenal are the dark horse of the season and COULD shock just about everybody and really challenge for the title. It's hard to judge any team from one opening performance, but you really cant start a season better than they did yesterday and it looks like they've grown a great spirit in the team. I actually think they'll do better without Adebayor as well. Denilson continues to impress too, major potential right there.

Despite not liking them, I'm hoping Spurs can do us a favour today and nick a result against Liverpool. I'd also love for us to hammer Birmingham, but I'm actually expecting a more nervy result along the lines of 1-0.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect