Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

I'm an arsenal fan and basicly everton made basic stupid schoolboy errors for the two headers no one tracked vermaelen and gallas, Fabregas ran 40 yards unchallenged for his 2nd goal..Basicly yeah we played well but everton were awful never seen them play as bad really be a much tougher game on tuesday against celtic

I didn't see the entire game, but what's this penalty decision you guys are talking about? The only thing I see was A-E having the ball hit his hand, but his hand was in front of his chest from what I could see.

Awesome result, Spurs just give me a reason to like them again :wub:

The ball was slid through to Voronin (I think), and Assou-Ekotto (sp?) didn't play the ball and basically barged Voronin off of the ball without actually making an attempt to play at it. Initially, I didn't think it was a penalty, but when it was shown again from another angle, it looked like it probably should have been a penalty.

I think Johnny is talking about the other one, the handball. Which it was, it struck Assou-Ekotto on the back of his hand, his hand was up against his chest, meaning it would've hit his chest otherwise, it's a penalty as his hand should've been down by his side.

I didn't see the entire game, but what's this penalty decision you guys are talking about? The only thing I see was A-E having the ball hit his hand, but his hand was in front of his chest from what I could see.

The ball was slid through to Voronin (I think), and Assou-Ekotto (sp?) didn't play the ball and basically barged Voronin off of the ball without actually making an attempt to play at it. Initially, I didn't think it was a penalty, but when it was shown again from another angle, it looked like it probably should have been a penalty.

I think Johnny is talking about the other one, the handball. Which it was, it struck Assou-Ekotto on the back of his hand, his hand was up against his chest, meaning it would've hit his chest otherwise, it's a penalty as his hand should've been down by his side.

Yeah, I didn't see the one where he apparently pushed Voronin over, so I cant comment on that. Ugh, I still don't think that ever warrants a penalty as well (hand ball one). His hand was on his chest, which it would of hit and rebounded off just like it did. To me it's not deliberate and it'd be majorly harsh to give that as a penalty if you ask me, but then again with the shocking referees of today in England, it wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, he mentioned that, but he was asking what the other one was :P

How did Tottenham manage to get away with convincing the Premier League that Bassong had served his suspension? He was a registered Tottenham player by the time of the Newcastle/West Brom game wasn't he?

While commentating on today's game Martin Tyler said the rule was that a player cannot serve the same suspension for two different clubs so when he moved to Spurs the suspension was voided, therefore him playing today was perfectly legitimate. Stupid rule I know, but there was nothing shady about him playing against Liverpool.

That was not a handball at all. His hand is against his chest and the ball hits it, it's not like he's put his hand there and then leaned forward to chest it down. The ball then comes off and hits his other arm which seemed again to be ball to hand but I can understand people challenging the second time it hit his hand, not the first.

Great performance by Spurs, I agree with CSAMH, Corluka was fantastic and I didn't know Assou-Ekotto had that kind of shot up his sleeve, very difficult for Reina to get to with the bodies in front of him. Crouch was underwhelming when he came on and I like that Redknapp isn't afraid to play Keane and Defoe together.

How did Tottenham manage to get away with convincing the Premier League that Bassong had served his suspension? He was a registered Tottenham player by the time of the Newcastle/West Brom game wasn't he?

While commentating on today's game Martin Tyler said the rule was that a player cannot serve the same suspension for two different clubs so when he moved to Spurs the suspension was voided, therefore him playing today was perfectly legitimate. Stupid rule I know, but there was nothing shady about him playing against Liverpool.

Whilst another footballer signed from Newcastle (Ben Tozer?) couldn't play for Burnley today because of a similar suspension. Weird ¬_¬

Does Gerrard ever play in England friendlies anymore? He always seems to be "injured" these days? At work we were joking about how Gerrard would mysteriously get injured and miss the England game and then he did. We also then joked about how he'd be fit for the Tottenham game and then he did. Funny.

The England medical team decided Gerrard should have been sent home (Y)

Does Gerrard ever play in England friendlies anymore? He always seems to be "injured" these days? At work we were joking about how Gerrard would mysteriously get injured and miss the England game and then he did. We also then joked about how he'd be fit for the Tottenham game and then he did. Funny.

Which is funny because the England team doctor is supposedly the Liverpool team doctor (Y)

Edited by TMM

Which is funny because the England team doctor is supposedly the Liverpool team doctor (Y)

Oh dear.

Mark Waller is with the England u21 set-up. The Team Doctor (and physio, for that matter) for the senior team are both from Arsenal.

(Y)

Oh dear.

Mark Waller is with the England u21 set-up. The Team Doctor (and physio, for that matter) for the senior team are both from Arsenal.

(Y)

Aha, former Arsenal!

Mark Waller is U21, Stuart Pearce is U21 boss and the senior team assistant!!! See! I win! There is the link! (Y)

I don't see why there's complaints over the BAE/Voronin decision. Seemed like a simple shoulder barge, players do that all the time to let the ball go out for corners and such. Nothing wrong with it.

I thought that on first look too, but if you see the face-on replay, Assou-Ekotto doesn't even attempt to go after the ball. A shoulder barge is all well and good, but he deliberately barged Voronin out of the way rather than barging him whilst jostling for the ball.

I can't believe I said I wouldn't make the excuses in my first post either. <_<

I don't think Voronin would have done anything anyway as it looked like Gomes would get to it. Tottenham were really good and Liverpool just didn't seem to get into the match and didn't deserve anything from the game.

I think the big difference between 'Pool and United was shown by the substituions today as United were able to bring Giggs, Brown and Owen on and leave Anderson on the bench and Carrick out of the squad! Whilst Liverpool had Benayoun, Ayala and Voronin to bring on, who put simply aren't of the same quality. In fact Spurs had a stronger bench than Liverpool! I mean look at their bench today, Bentley, Crouch, Pav, O'Hara, Cudicini, Hutton, Naugton. All good options to have on your bench.

It's very early days but Liverpool need to sign a few players before the end of this transfer period if they're to challenge strongly this year because squad wise Chelsea and United have the beating of them. I think Alonso will prove to be as big a blow as the loss of Ronaldo to United.

I'd disagree that Benayoun isn't a quality player to be able to bring on, he perhaps should've started. Voronin, I would give you to an extent and Ayala is only on the bench due to injuries.

The performance today was much improved second half but I really want to see what difference Aquilani would make to our midfield. Lucas, while I'll give him his dues of having improved isn't the player I'd like to see starting regularly in that position. I didn't hold up much hope for it ending anything more than 2-1 as time wore on. Obviously there will be improvements but the only positive for me was that Glen Johnson had a very solid debut and Aqilani still has to come in.

I do feel that Liverpool need more substantial depth than what is there at the moment, and defensively we're still wanting.

All in all, Spurs at home first day of the season is tough. Tougher than any other Big Four club had (so it would seem in retrospect anyway).

The only problem is that it might be too late for Liverpool, by the time it takes Aquilani to get fit and into the squad, they could have already dropped a large amount of points. And that's if he becomes an unbeatable god and doesn't flop >_>

I know it's only the first game, and Gerrard may not have been totally fit... but it's a wakeup call that's far too late and I don't see Benitez being able to sign another significant player between now and the deadline day.

Then again, naturally United, Chelsea and Arsenal will draw their next games and render this a blatant overreaction ¬_¬

From what I heard they agreed the deal late on Friday so it wasn't fully registered until after the match on the Saturday (there may be a waiting time of 24 hours or some such, I 'unno).