The England thread

Chopra brings speed and strength to a whole new level. The way he muscles passed the Villa defence, got to the ball in record time and knocked it over Scott Carson was something dreams are made of.

It's unfair to compare Jones to someone as good as Chopra.

Perhaps Capello chose Beckham over Barry because he thinks it would be unfair to all the other candidates if he judged Barry's performance as captain on perhaps the single night in the history of time where virtually all the English Villa boys are likely to be in the line-up. :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño

Team I'd play tonight, just for the heck of it.

Joe Hart

Glen Johnson - Rio Ferdinand - Jonathan Woodgate - Wayne Bridge

David Beckham - Gareth Barry - Steven Gerrard - Stewart Downing

Dean Ashton - Gabriel Agbonlahor

Subs -

Wheater for Ferdinand

Phil Jagielka for Woodgate

Huddlestone for Gerrard

Young for Downing

Walcott for Agbonlahor

Crouch for Ashton

I wouldn't mind seeing Warnock get a game though. I've always rated him quite highly, more then Nicky Shorey anyway, but with Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge in front of him, he may have tonight to stake his claim, Jagielka I think deserves his cap.

I can't see him messing about with the formation but I maybe tempted to see what Agbonlahor and Young are like dropping deep off of Ashton or Crouch, I hope Ashton gets a run out at least, another player I've always rated highly, despite him being a former Norwich player.

I'm gonna go with 4-0 England, but I can also see them struggling and maybe snatching a 1-0, as long as I see a good performance I'll be happy.

Ashley Young needs to start. We all know what Downing can do at International level (Paul Daniels: Not a lot) and he's been given chances before. I hope Ashton starts, too. I want Agbonlahor to start but I wouldn't mind him coming on for the second half or at the sixty minute mark.

Am I the only one who thinks Michael Carrick should be in the England Team? He's been great this season and I think with Gerrard he would play really well.

Anyway my team for tonight:

Hart

Johnson

Woodgate

Ferdinand

Lescott

Beckham

Barry

Gerrard

Young

Ashton

Agbonlahor

Lescott isn't in the squad is he?

I rate Carrick but he's defensive and I'd pick Barry or Hargreaves over him to play that role every time, he doesn't offer anything more then those two can, my opinion of Carrick improved greatly after this season, I thought he was brilliant when ever I saw him play anyway, but same said for Barry and Hargreaves, I'd say arguably Carrick is the weakest of the three.

Tom Huddlestone has been picked because I think he can offer something different to that holding role, he is definitely more of a presence just through size then any of the other three, he is good enough on the ball, I have no complaints with him maybe getting a shot at all.

And I agree with Ace, this could get me to sleep nicely.