The England thread

Isn't Gerrard injured?

Also, Southampton-tastic. Deserved.

He's the captain, gotta go if there's even a remote chance of playing

Bit pointless since its a friendly and all. Might as well send someone who can play. And I'm sure Rooney or Lampard can deputise.

• Admin
England Under-21 squad for Euro qualifiers against Finland at MK Dons on 14 November and San Marino at Shrewsbury on 19 November:
Goalkeepers: Jonathan Bond (Watford), Jack Butland (Barnsley, on loan from Stoke City), George Long (Sheffield United).
Defenders: Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Carl Jenkinson (Arsenal), Michael Keane (Manchester United), Liam Moore (Leicester City), Jack Robinson (Blackpool, on loan from Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Southampton), John Stones (Everton).
Midfielders: Nathaniel Chalobah (Nottingham Forest, on loan from Chelsea), Will Hughes (Derby County), Ravel Morrison (West Ham United), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).
Wide: Tom Ince (Blackpool), Jesse Lingard (Birmingham City, on loan from Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Wilfried Zaha (Manchester United).
Forwards: Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Ings (Burnley), Nick Powell (Wigan Athletic, on loan from Manchester United).

Hodgson is a fucking idiot. Cleverley ahead of Delph?

Of all the things to call him an idiot about, I'm not quite sure this at the top of the list. Didn't Hodgson watch the United/Fulham game where United started to fall apart after Cleverly left the pitch? Not saying Cleverly deserves his place, but while I've heard Delph's looked decent, it's hardly like he's been setting the world alight.

Delighted to see both Rodriquez and Lallana get call-ups, which reflects how well Southampton have been doing. Under 21's is looking very healthy, too.

• Like 3

Still doesn't make Hodgson an idiot though. Delph keeps it going all season he'll be in contention. Hard to criticise Roy for overlooking players from clubs outside the big 4/5 when he's selected two uncapped Southampton players.

Delphs been brilliant for the past six months. Whats Cleverley ever done to justify wearing an England shirt other than playing for Man United? I'm not saying Delph is the be all end all of England (and to be honest i'd rather no Villa players go anywhere near England international duty as it's a completely pointless exercise) but i do think he should be recognised for his form.

I can understand being annoyed by the bias in favour of Manchester United, but there's always a danger of taking it too far in the other direction. Bear in mind that Tom Cleverley played regularly in a team that won the league, as did a number of English players. I'd say playing regularly for a team that won the league is reasonable enough justification for getting in the England team.

Carrick and Welbeck look like they're gonna pull out of the squad through injury. Could see a few more pull out too with it only being friendlies, no point risking players that aren't fully fit. I've got tickets for the Germany game, hope we don't get leathered again...