The England thread

Gah dammit. I hate it when James does things like this, it always overshadows how much of an awesome keeper he actually is, and gets the majority of fan against him.

The best English goalkeeper is actually Nigel Martyn, followed by Paul Robinson and Dave James. I would usually pick James ahead of Robinson because Robinson doesnt know how to organise a defence, but with the quality England has at the back, that isn't highlighted in his performances.

I cant believe how bad England were tonight. I hate Denmark so much too, so seeing them win was awful.

Watched most of the Italy game which was much better I thought. End to end stuff. Ireland had some really good moments but Italy were much better overall if you ask me. Vieri looked really dangerous and that volley from that awesome ball would have been one of the best international goals I've seen. Del Piero looked quite awesome too. Given was downright fabulous, he made at least two world class saves which really kept Ireland in the game at times. 2-1 is a good result and I think with this they can go into the Scotland match and get a win.

That's a biased Juve fan if I ever saw one (:P), Del Piero did nothing!

It was a great game though, I would've thought a draw would have been a fair enough result. Italy dominated play in the opening twenty or so minutes but failed really to take the majority of they're chances. A few decisions went incorectly against us and there were moments we played Italy off the park. A cracking game, but a draw would've been a fairing reflection of each team's performance IMHO.

You're an idiot.

I :wub: you.

Seriously, David James gets too much stick. If any other keeper was in that goal, we would have STILL lost 4-1. A keeper is only as good as his defence. Why do you think Petr Cech did so well last season? If he was playing for Norwich or anyone, he wouldn't have been raved about nearly as much. James isn't as great as he should have been, and he could have saved at least one of the goals, but we picked wrong tactics, wrong players and the wrong night to quit sniffing glue.

Quite frankly, we are NOT going to win in 2006 unless we make a big change.

Maybe I'm biased, being a Spurs fan and everything, but Robinson should be England's unquestioned number one.

I'd read comments from Terry Butcher, who feels that Sven has rendered International Friendlies as pointless by making so many substitutions, and I'm inclinded to agree. What was the point of bringing on Owen and James? We know Owen is world-class, we know he's an England starter - why not let Rooney/Defoe try and bond a bit more. James has played around 30 times for his country, bringing him on at half time was just to get him another cap. Fucking pointless exercise really. Sven knows enough about James to form a decision on him, bringing him on against Denmark for 45 minutes is a bit shit really.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

David James is alright and you can really tell how desperate Sven is to give him his spot back, the fact is Paul Robinson is better than him. Foreigners controlling national teams should be banned.

• 2 weeks later...

Goalkeepers: Robinson (Tottenham), Green (Norwich), Kirkland (Liverpool)

Defenders: Young (Charlton), Warnock (Liverpool), P Neville (Everton), A Cole (Arsenal), Carragher(Liverpool), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea), Upson (Birmingham)

Midfielders: Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), J Cole (Chelsea), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Jenas (Newcastle), Carrick (Tottenham), Richardson (Man Utd)

Strikers: Owen* (Real Madrid), Rooney (Man Utd), Defoe (Tottenham), A Johnson (Crystal Palace), Bent (Charlton)

So Warnock is a suprise - what's wrong with Gareth Barry? David James' exclusion is also a talking point - he's a decent number two at least, look at Norwich and Green in the Championship to see how good he is.

Richardson, having played like once this year, and Jenas are also questionable - what about Scott Parker? Sven was at St James' Park today and should have seen the difference between Jenas and Parker. Oh well.

I totally agree with you about Gareth Barry, i think he is absolutly class. My oppinion of Sven gets lower as the days go bye, as he just seems to pick his favourites and its obvious that he is not taking a strong Welsh side seriously. I would love to see Darren Bent get his chance against the Welsh up front with Rooney, i really think he has something special and that Charlton have picked up a gem. I hope Carrick get preferred to Hargreaves and Jenas in the pecking order because he is quality and has an abundance of skill.

Luke Young is a good addition just because we don;t have anyone to play right back due to injuries and the fact he has had a good couple of seasons.

Warnock? Excellent. Surprise selection, but I think he has the potential to be an England regular.

On the other hand, why the fuck does Sven feel the need to select Jenas? He's perhaps the most overrated player I have ever seen in my life. Picking him over Parker is a massive mistake.