General Television Thread

Hellfire

3 minutes ago, RPS said:

I watched 5 episodes of House of Cards and just wasn't that interested in it. It is well acted, I just didn't feel any pull to keep watching. 

That was sort of how I felt. It looks good, it's acted well, and the writing is good, but it just didn't grab me for some reason. I'll probably give it another shot around Christmas and hope it hooks me.

I never liked the West Wing either. Political shows just don't pull me in. To me, it just difficult to make riveting television about amending legislation. There is like whole episode of that in HoC and I just thought I would rather watch something a bit more gripping. 

Don't let stoker hear you say that.

The only political shows like that I find myself able to invest in are the likes of Veep, because I like a healthy dose of comedy with my soul-crushingly boring scenes of legislation.

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Rachel ruins Master of None. She turns it from charming and sincere into a generic sitcom with a whiny and stereotypically over reactive prize wife. Extremely frustrating.

I couldn't disagree more. Having been someone that has dated multiple people just like Rachel, I can assure you that the interactions she has with Aziz are very genuine. Sure, some bits are a bit more "cinema-friendly" in terms of dialogue and such, but it all comes from a very real place.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 13:25, Benji said:

The first season was excellent, and one of the best things on TV this year. Not sure where they go for a season two, considering they've adapted the entire set of books in one go already.

23 hours ago, Benji said:

Murder in the First has been a quietly good little show, this pleases me.

18 minutes ago, Ace said:

West Wing was fantastic and I'll not hear any besmirching about it! :angry:

It's not actually that bad, I just find Sorkin extremely hit and miss and very good at "hindsight is 20/20" writing, as if he's some genius and the world is dumb, and West Wing was a miss for me.

18 hours ago, Benji said:

Man, if that kind of perpetual moaning and put downs is the relationships you've had then you need healthier relationships >_>

Rachel didn't really do much moaning or putting down, she was just unfulfilled by her relationship with Aziz. If anything, Aziz was the one who bitched like crazy throughout the relationship, but he too felt just as empty. It might be my second favourite romantic relationship I saw on TV this year, it felt completely genuine to me. It was like watching a show about my friends' relationship slowly crumbling.