General Television Thread

Hellfire

On 05/01/2016 at 18:37, Benji said:

Insert Name Here is a disappointment. Buzzcocks gets cancelled and this guff gets commissioned. Lame.

I went from "Oooh, new panel show." to "Oh, this is shit." in five minutes. I'm sick of Richard Osman now as well.

After seeing it list high on the Top 50 TV Shows list, I binge watched all of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Not sure if it would have made my list but if was very enjoyable, I'm a big fan of Titus in particular and Jon Hamm's appearance was a pleasant surprise. Damn it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

F is for Family is pretty fun. I'm eating it up.

I watched the first five (six, maybe, I lost count) episodes a few weeks ago and really dug it. Something I should get around to finishing, it was really easy to binge watch. I like that there's overarching plots that span multiple episodes and things like that, it's really something you don't see a lot in modern animated series. Sure, shows like Bob's Burgers will have callbacks to this event or that character, but F Is For Family has arcs like the workers strike at the airport, etc.

P Bubs' character on Adventure Time is probably one of the most interesting on TV for me. She's incredibly unpredictable, and yet it never feels unbelievable, because her motivations always make sense even when they're not something I agree with. I've lost count of the amount of times I've switched on seeing her as a hero, anti-hero, or villain, she just is who she is, and that's good writing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cloudy said:

I watched the first five (six, maybe, I lost count) episodes a few weeks ago and really dug it. Something I should get around to finishing, it was really easy to binge watch. I like that there's overarching plots that span multiple episodes and things like that, it's really something you don't see a lot in modern animated series. Sure, shows like Bob's Burgers will have callbacks to this event or that character, but F Is For Family has arcs like the workers strike at the airport, etc.

The whole first season is only 6 episodes, so maybe you've watched it all. I'm just going to start on episode 6, and I am really into it. I like that it's not just vulgar for vulgarity sake, which is what the hype behind it apparently was. It feels realistic and almost tangible, like this is what could have happened. So many of the lines feel real to me, even when it's just there for funny's sake. I hate some of the side characters, but the nucleus of the show, the Murphys, are pretty damn great.

• Like 2

Yeah, I looked it up and I watched the first five. I got up to the part where

Spoiler

Bill's trying to hide his suspension from his parents, and manages to set the forest behind the cul-de-sac on fire at the end.

5 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

The whole first season is only 6 episodes, so maybe you've watched it all. I'm just going to start on episode 6, and I am really into it. I like that it's not just vulgar for vulgarity sake, which is what the hype behind it apparently was. It feels realistic and almost tangible, like this is what could have happened. So many of the lines feel real to me, even when it's just there for funny's sake. I hate some of the side characters, but the nucleus of the show, the Murphys, are pretty damn great.

I might have to check it out then. I like Bill Burr, but all the ads made it look like they would make vulgar comments and use the fact that it's based in a different decade to hide any criticism that the joke might be offensive. 

I haven't really ran into anything super offensive. It's vulgar, sure, but only in the sense that it's on Netflix so they can get away with saying "fuck" and "shit" without issue.

Yeah, the trailer made it look like it was basically a mid-'00s Comedy Central animated program, but the reviews have been kind. Hopefully I'll watch it at some point, as I say about every fucking show.

I ended up really liking F is for Family. It kind of transformed from a kind-of-annoying pilot with lots of shouting and swearing to a show that was actually quite funny and very touching in a strange way. I hope it gets another season. 

I finally finished Peep Show, which I thought was excellent. It sagged a little in the middle, but it ended on such a high. I can't imagine how it could've ended much better. 

Finally nearly finished Jessica Jones. I know we have a thread to discuss it, but after liking it, but loving it, it hit a real peak in the middle. David Tennant is outstanding, and I'm looking forward to the last two episodes, although I kind of feel like the show has already peaked, but I hope to be proven wrong. 

Watched a bit of War and Peace. I didn't watch anywhere near enough British TV last year, and the BBC have clearly thrown a lot of money at this with the calibre of actors they've got involved, especially Paul Dano. I thought the first episode was good enough, hopefully they can build on it.

And finally, I watched some Toast of London. Matt Berry seems to have David Mitchell's talent for being able to make me laugh just by saying things in his wonderful voice. It grows on me with every ep I watch, it's so silly, but really entertaining.

I haven't had a laptop for a while, and I hate typing on my phone, so that's a good few weeks work there. 

I finished This is England '90. I've loved the movie and the three series but this was so maddeningly depressing and harrowing and haunting and I feel like it's been present in my life for ten years so in a way I'm glad it's over and I never have to watch any of it ever again :shifty: 

Still, Stephen Graham is amazing as always and it's an great piece of art altogether. Great world that Shane Meadows created.